No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine - Page 2

No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine

This is a discussion on No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Cypher When I was in college I actually wrote a term paper on Shingles I have had Shingle (Herpes Varicella Zoster) twice. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    When I was in college I actually wrote a term paper on Shingles

    I have had Shingle (Herpes Varicella Zoster) twice. I'm not old enough to get the vaccine but I can promise you you DO. NOT. EVER want to go through an outbreak. Not on the shortest day of your life....

    Shingles does not ever encircle the body. It occurs along a single dermatome and only affects on side of the body.
    Close, but no cigar. While it generally won't completely "encircle the body", there are at least a dozen nerves that extend nearly all the way from the spine around to the middle of the chest. I believe it was the Subcostal nerve that was infected in my case; possibly one of the lower intercostal nerves. It is also possible (but highly unusual) to have two separate shingles infections at the same time, on opposite sides of the body. I can assure you that it is possible to have shingles on your back, chest, and under your arm all at the same time!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ...Shingles normally resolves in 3 to 5 weeks BUT if you're older (65+) you can develop a condition called postherpatic neuralgia that can last for an indefinite period of time...
    You don't have to be over 65 to suffer postherpetic neuralgia from shingles. I was about 53(?) when I got it and I still feel the effects once in a while. Shingles can also cause peripheral neuropathy; damage to nerves to the point that they no longer function. I have a small area on my back where I seem to have no working pain receptors ever since my shingles attack. This worked to my advantage a few months ago, when I was stung on the back by a red wasp and didn't know it until my wife pointed out the sting a couple hours after it happened!
    Struckat, 5lima30ret and OD* like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  2. #17
    VIP Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Just curious, @5lima30ret , was the 2nd shot any better, or worse, than the first one? Just wondering if I should expect my arm to be out of commission for a week again, when I get my second shot.
    The first one seemed to be slightly worse. By the third day on both I was almost back to normal for both.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Colorado / Arizona
    Posts
    849
    I just got my second shot this past week. It knocked me on my a$$ for about 24hrs with the shoulder soreness lasting a few more days. I donít recall the first dose being as bad. Oh well itís done now.
    5lima30ret likes this.

  4. #19
    VIP Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,825
    I guess I got lucky and Iím alright with that. Sorry for those that were on the other side of side effect stats.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  5. #20
    Member Array Mjolnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I got the first of two Shingles vaccinations 2 days ago. The pharmacist told me to expect flu-like symptoms, but holy crap I've never had the flu that bad. Everything hurt like hell yesterday, even my hair. My fingers hurt for an hour after tying my shoes. The last time I hurt this bad was 40 years ago and involved an inordinate amount of Southern Comfort. I had hoped to get to the range this weekend to try out some new reloads in my Defender but I think I'll wait a week.

    Supposedly the second vaccine will be just as bad. Still, I'm sure getting the Shingles must be worse.
    The Shingles vaccine has been proven to GIVE people Shingles.

    Tried to tell my mom but sheís the sort that listens to Authority for everything.

    She wishes she listened to me now. Unfortunately, itís too late.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array HotBrass45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The Shingles vaccine has been proven to GIVE people Shingles.

    Tried to tell my mom but sheís the sort that listens to Authority for everything.

    She wishes she listened to me now. Unfortunately, itís too late.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I donít know about the older vaccines, but the new one (Shingrix) is not a live vaccine. This was a concern for me too
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

  7. #22
    Ex Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Close, but no cigar. While it generally won't completely "encircle the body", there are at least a dozen nerves that extend nearly all the way from the spine around to the middle of the chest. I believe it was the Subcostal nerve that was infected in my case; possibly one of the lower intercostal nerves. It is also possible (but highly unusual) to have two separate shingles infections at the same time, on opposite sides of the body. I can assure you that it is possible to have shingles on your back, chest, and under your arm all at the same time!

    You don't have to be over 65 to suffer postherpetic neuralgia from shingles. I was about 53(?) when I got it and I still feel the effects once in a while. Shingles can also cause peripheral neuropathy; damage to nerves to the point that they no longer function. I have a small area on my back where I seem to have no working pain receptors ever since my shingles attack. This worked to my advantage a few months ago, when I was stung on the back by a red wasp and didn't know it until my wife pointed out the sting a couple hours after it happened!

    You're free to argue with JAMA to your heart's content

  8. #23
    VIP Member
    Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You're free to argue with JAMA to your heart's content


    Tell me one thing I said that conflicts with the JAMA.

    Besides, I will argue with them if I know for a FACT they've misstated something. And from time to time, they do.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  9. #24
    Senior Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I got the first of two Shingles vaccinations 2 days ago. The pharmacist told me to expect flu-like symptoms, but holy crap I've never had the flu that bad. Everything hurt like hell yesterday, even my hair. My fingers hurt for an hour after tying my shoes. The last time I hurt this bad was 40 years ago and involved an inordinate amount of Southern Comfort. I had hoped to get to the range this weekend to try out some new reloads in my Defender but I think I'll wait a week.

    Supposedly the second vaccine will be just as bad. Still, I'm sure getting the Shingles must be worse.
    Anything is better than suffering through an attack of the real-live, full-strength shingles virus!
    Been there. Done that. Vastly prefer never to do it again!

    One nice thing that having had shingles (Herpes Zoster) may have done for me is to make me immune to genital herpes (Herpes Simplex).
    I don't know for certain that this is true, but that's how it seems to have worked out.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    HotBrass45, I had the first shingrix shingles shot 91 days ago. No reaction. Perhaps it was the result of the gorgeous young blonde pharmacist who gave it to me. I am due for the second one this week. Hope you feel better soon!
    I'm not so sure I'd be bragging about not having a reaction to your gorgeous young blonde pharmacist. But hey, that's just me.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    6,105
    Oh, good grief!
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array ButtShot14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    651
    Wow HotBrass, that sounds rough for sure. I have had both shots and the only after effect was injection site (arm) soreness for a couple of days. I had a very mild case of shingles prior to the shots and I can tell you that you do not want shingles. Very painful to say the least. I could tell no difference in the effects of either shot. Hope your second one is much better.

  13. #28
    Ex Member Array Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post


    Tell me one thing I said that conflicts with the JAMA.

    Besides, I will argue with them if I know for a FACT they've misstated something. And from time to time, they do.

    OK.

  14. #29
    Member Array AndyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    285
    I had both shots last year. First one kicked my butt for a day.I downed a bunch of Nyquil and when I woke up I could not move. Went back to work the next day. The second one was not as bad but still no fun.

  15. #30
    Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    1,413
    I had both last year too along with the latest pneumonia vaccine the same day as the first of the two shingles shots. Bad idea. Both arms hurt for several days. Made sleeping on my side tough. The second shingles shot was a breeze compared to the first.
    Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •