No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine

This is a discussion on No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got the first of two Shingles vaccinations 2 days ago. The pharmacist told me to expect flu-like symptoms, but holy crap I've never had ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: No shooting this weekend - after Shingles vaccine

I got the first of two Shingles vaccinations 2 days ago. The pharmacist told me to expect flu-like symptoms, but holy crap I've never had the flu that bad. Everything hurt like hell yesterday, even my hair. My fingers hurt for an hour after tying my shoes. The last time I hurt this bad was 40 years ago and involved an inordinate amount of Southern Comfort. I had hoped to get to the range this weekend to try out some new reloads in my Defender but I think I'll wait a week.

Supposedly the second vaccine will be just as bad. Still, I'm sure getting the Shingles must be worse.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

HotBrass45, I had the first shingrix shingles shot 91 days ago. No reaction. Perhaps it was the result of the gorgeous young blonde pharmacist who gave it to me. I am due for the second one this week. Hope you feel better soon!
    You are your own first responder.

Some people have reactions, some don't. I had the old shingles shot several years ago and still got shingles a couple of years later. The doc said that the fact that I had the shot probably made it a milder case. But if that was a mild case, I can't even image what a bad case would be like. It was horrible!

I just finished the two shot series of Shingrix, so hopefully I'm good now. I had a mild reaction to the first, but only a sore shoulder from the second. The one thing I will say though, is anything that keeps you from getting shingles is worth it! It is torture!
    OldChap and 5lima30ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

BHC
    Had mine one year ago. Hurt like hell and sore for 2-3 days. Fortunately no flu symptoms. Wife had shingles. You never want to have them, so well worth the short term aches.

Are you sure that you need a second one? They didn't tell me that!!!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    Had mine one year ago. Hurt like hell and sore for 2-3 days. Fortunately no flu symptoms. Wife had shingles. You never want to have them, so well worth the short term aches.

Are you sure that you need a second one? They didn't tell me that!!!
    The new Shingrix vaccine is reportedly 97% effective (vs. the older vaccine 60%), but requires 2 vaccinations. The 2nd vaccination has to occur within 2-6 months of the 1st vaccination.

I had my final Shingrix shot about a month ago. I didn't have too bad a reaction mainly just a very sore arm for 2-3 days, but that might have been where the Navy Corpsman injected it into my bicep. It is still MUCH better than getting the Shingles!
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I had the shingles right up the crack. To this day I experience “Neuralgia” the doctor called it. Phantom pains that are very annoying. They have faded over 15 years.

So when you see me making a strange face, it is not a pre-attack indicator, I just have something else goin on.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I had the shingles right up the crack. To this day I experience “Neuralgia” the doctor called it. Phantom pains that are very annoying. They have faded over 15 years.

So when you see me making a strange face, it is not a pre-attack indicator, I just have something else goin on.
    I can’t imagine how horrible that must have been
    ButtShot14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I can’t imagine how horrible that must have been
    Can’t do anything, sit stand walk, no. Yet I had to work, sitting meetings was killer. No one knew, good practice for “Poker face.”
    OldVet likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Can’t do anything, sit stand walk, no. Yet I had to work, sitting meetings was killer. No one knew, good practice for “Poker face.”
    I never imagined you like this.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=poker+...52e5481f89ee98
    OldChap and Struckat like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I got shingles about 10 years ago, in my mid 50's - thankfully, it seems like it was a pretty mild case. Extremely painful, though, and a very strange experience. I first went to the ER with chest pains - thinking I might be having a heart attack. The virus had apparently infected a nerve that wraps around the torso. The rash outbreak was on my back, and was like a bad case of poison ivy. I had chest pain like I'd been kicked by a horse, and under my arm, it felt like I'd been scalded with boiling water. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

The rash was only the size of a saucer, though, and didn't get on my face, or any super-sensitive areas, so I count myself lucky.

I wasn't sure for a long time whether the vaccine would do any good if you've already had an attack. None of the literature seemed to address that question. Finally determined that it CAN prevent future attacks. I got the first Shingrix shot a couple months ago. No flu-like symptoms, but my arm hurt like Hell for about a week. I'm due for the second shot.
    OldChap and M1911A1 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I had my final Shingrix shot about a month ago. I didn't have too bad a reaction mainly just a very sore arm for 2-3 days, but that might have been where the Navy Corpsman injected it into my bicep. It is still MUCH better than getting the Shingles!
    Just curious, @5lima30ret , was the 2nd shot any better, or worse, than the first one? Just wondering if I should expect my arm to be out of commission for a week again, when I get my second shot.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

When I was in college I actually wrote a term paper on Shingles

I have had Shingle (Herpes Varicella Zoster) twice. I'm not old enough to get the vaccine but I can promise you you DO. NOT. EVER want to go through an outbreak. Not on the shortest day of your life.

THIS IS MY OPINION but Based on my experience I think stress is a primary factor in having an outbreak

Shingles does not ever encircle the body. It occurs along a single dermatome and only affects on side of the body.

Depending on where you get it Shingles absolutely can blind you. If it gets into your eyes it can damage your sight for life it it gets into your auditory nerves it can make you deaf.

Shingles normally resolves in 3 to 5 weeks BUT if you're older (65+) you can develop a condition called postherpatic neuralgia that can last for an indefinite period of time.

Bottom line if you can get the vaccine you should
    5lima30ret, OldChap and M1911A1 like this.

I'll be getting the newer vaccine soon. I had the original vaccine, and got the shingles anyway. I don't care if I get the flu-like symptoms. I don't want to experience the pain I went through again, ever!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Still, I'm sure getting the Shingles must be worse.
    It is. BTDT. Had a patch on my hip in my 30s.

Getting my second shot this month.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links