So who is up for a trip to Mexico? - Page 2

So who is up for a trip to Mexico?

This is a discussion on So who is up for a trip to Mexico? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Struckat I was there in 2005, Juarez. Never again. The show was too much?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: So who is up for a trip to Mexico?

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I was there in 2005, Juarez. Never again.
    The show was too much?
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Nuevo Larado in 1979 was enough for me.
    Young, dumb and full of you know what.
    airslot, BamaT and M1911A1 like this.

If you look like you have money, (as in driving a vehicle with US plates), you are at risk in Mexico. If you fly into a resort, the probabilities of being a crime victim are lower, but still high.The police in Mexico are not respected, trusted or professional enough to be a deterrent against crime. Laws regarding gun possession are draconian and your regular health insurance probably doesn't cover you if injured in Mexico!
    NECCdude and M1911A1 like this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    The show was too much?
    No, just the frequent sound of automatic gun fire made me realize I don’t get paid enough to ever go there again.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

So who is up for a trip to Mexico?

I used to enjoy going to Mexico.

But that was years ago, before the cartels totally took over. Now, I wouldn't even consider it.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Want to go to ________ ? It will be fun!
    If my carry permit is invalid the answer is no. Being disarmed is not my idea of fun.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Nuevo Larado in 1979 was enough for me.
    Young, dumb and full of you know what.
    Yep. The Spring of 79 I was down on the gulf and the locals helped me realize that a Mexican constabulary, of one sort or a nuddin, was going to visit me soon. Very soon. No time to pack. The trunk of the Buick was piled with wet sandy swim suits and towels and dead soldiers. I gave a 5 minute warning and the train left the station. 100+ mph all the way to the border, 430 under the hood doing its thing very well. The five of us sorted out our belongings once we were safely a half a block off Central Avenue, north of downtown Phoenix.

I learned that an idiot, who happens to be a friend, is still just an idiot.

Momma told me not to come......
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I travelled to Juarez probably 10 times for work in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was a ****hole then and its worse now. Never again.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

I just got back from Baja this afternoon from a business trip. All is well.

Used to love going to Mexico in my younger days. In the late seventies two friends and I went down for a month. We'd planned it since high school. Eight pesos to the dollar. One day we went to the bank to cash travelers checks and came out with way more pesos than we should have. Lol. Turns out the peso had just devalued to twenty one pesos to the dollar. What's a couple gringo's to do ? We stayed an extra two months.
    Loved Mexico and met some of the best people the world has to offer down there back in the seventies. We'd get off the bus in a town that hadn't seen a gringo in awhile, ask where to eat and find ourselves in somebodies back yard eating with the family. An incredible adventure down the west coast of Mexico.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I used to enjoy going to Mexico.

But that was years ago, before the cartels totally took over. Now, I wouldn't even consider it.
    Same with me and the wife......no more.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    Used to love going to Mexico in my younger days. In the late seventies two friends and I went down for a month. We'd planned it since high school. Eight pesos to the dollar. One day we went to the bank to cash travelers checks and came out with way more pesos than we should have. Lol. Turns out the peso had just devalued to twenty one pesos to the dollar. What's a couple gringo's to do ? We stayed an extra two months.
    Loved Mexico and met some of the best people the world has to offer down there back in the seventies. We'd get off the bus in a town that hadn't seen a gringo in awhile, ask where to eat and find ourselves in somebodies back yard eating with the family. An incredible adventure down the west coast of Mexico.
    That had been my experience, too, back in the 1960s and '70s.
    Not any more, I guess.

Back then, it was pretty easy to bring a firearm into Mexico, and I did.
    Back then, it was very easy to buy a .22 rifle or a shotgun, and ammunition, in Mexico, too, and to bring it home as well.
    Not any more, for certain sure.

Ah, Mexico...
    Where gun control keeps the people safe.

Yeah. Right.
    Arejay likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Not sure if I would rather go to Mexico or Iran.
    It's a coin toss.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Juarz had a couple of hot dog cops we used to see all the time. They drove an unmarked, not stock red ford. We used to call them starsky and hutch. They drove like lunatics. We almost had a head on with them as they were driving on The wrong side of the road.

We also used to see pickup trucks with sideboards all around to carry federalies speeding around with I think MP5s slung across their chests in full riot gear holding on for dear life

Traveled to Mexico once with a Mexican National friend of mine. He and I just wanted to go on a cross country road trip from Chicago, crossed the border at Tijuana and drove about seven hours to a military roadblock turning us back to the US. '74 first and last time in Mexico
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links