The Mother of all flyovers - Page 2

The Mother of all flyovers

This is a discussion on The Mother of all flyovers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What makes me nervous is having all those planes in one place - sort of like our Pacific Fleet years ago. https://www.388fw.acc.af.mil/News/Ar...fighter-wings/ This article addressed ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: The Mother of all flyovers

What makes me nervous is having all those planes in one place - sort of like our Pacific Fleet years ago.https://www.388fw.acc.af.mil/News/Ar...fighter-wings/
    This article addressed that concern. Shows how little I know about these things. I couldn't read the OP's link because of my ad blocker.

What amazes me is the training and skill levels needed to get all this ready. How they can find enough people who are trainable and intelligent enough to learn and repair all these new systems is hard to fathom. I have to wonder what percentage of our population is even capable of flying one of these new jets - even with the training now available. Really, the same goes for those who must maintain and diag all those systems - and there are alot of different systems!
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    52 locked and loaded.
    We sure know how to get a point across, hope the Ayatoolya is watching.
    Now this is what I do not mind spending my tax dollars on.
    Was this anywhere near you G26Raven?
    Maybe it wasn't intended for the Ayatoolya, but the Iahtoldyas and the ne'ertrumperesistors, you know just to increase the shares of Charmin, Depends and Kleenex due to the massive increase in usage due to the STP's, crying, wailing and totally lack of control of bodily functions!
    airslot, leadfarmer and hogdaddy like this.

Senior Moderator
    My submariner friends are fond of saying "there are more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans then there are ships left up in the sky."
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @PPS1980 True. I suspect these meet the definition of Teddy Roosevelt's "big stick."

I should add that there is a certain benefit to the "all or nothing" approach to dealing with the threat some of these idjits present. I grew up under such a threat. It does give one a certain pause when considering how to deal with adversaries.
    I was Strategically Ready Round the Clock against the Red Menace myself. That said, I have a deep and abiding respect for Boomers. Heck Missile Weenies only had to pull days on duty at a time, not months!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I was Strategically Ready Round the Clock against the Red Menace myself. That said, I have a deep and abiding respect for Boomers. Heck Missile Weenies only had to pull days on duty at a time, not months!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

The Iranians have an Air Force too...

The Mother of all flyovers-5dea4b05-bac8-4704-9d36-9ebbeba219ee.jpeg
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    The Iranians have an Air Force too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DEA4B05-BAC8-4704-9D36-9EBBEBA219EE.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	310156
    Iranian version of "carpet bombing".
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Space Force, kinetic bombardment (aka "rods from the gods"), former NASA now Air Force run space planes that stay aloft for years. The F-35's could be a feint...it's unlike Trump to telegraph his moves.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” - Sun Tzu

Ditto from an old "Missile Weenie"!!!!!!
    PPS1980 and OD* like this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

N.R.A. R.S.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    What makes me nervous is having all those planes in one place - sort of like our Pacific Fleet years ago.https://www.388fw.acc.af.mil/News/Ar...fighter-wings/
    This article addressed that concern. Shows how little I know about these things. I couldn't read the OP's link because of my ad blocker.

What amazes me is the training and skill levels needed to get all this ready. How they can find enough people who are trainable and intelligent enough to learn and repair all these new systems is hard to fathom. I have to wonder what percentage of our population is even capable of flying one of these new jets - even with the training now available. Really, the same goes for those who must maintain and diag all those systems - and there are alot of different systems!
    Having been a carrier aviator back in the day and later worked in marketing selling advanced combat jets for McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing), I think the older planes were harder to fly and maintain. The new ones have so much automated. It still requires a lot of talent, but so much is "plug and play." The computer tells the pilot everything he needs to know, no interpretation required. The plane can land itself on the carrier. The mechanics plug in a diagnostic tool that tells them, "this assembly is bad" and they replace it.

Back in the day, it was more man than machine. For instance, the F-4 Phantom was a nightmare to maintain. We lost more of them in Vietnam to hydraulic failures alone than enemy fire. Pilots and mechs had to prevail as much through art and craft, as science and procedure.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Having been a carrier aviator back in the day and later worked in marketing selling advanced combat jets for McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing), I think the older planes were harder to fly and maintain. The new ones have so much automated. It still requires a lot of talent, but so much is "plug and play." The computer tells the pilot everything he needs to know, no interpretation required. The plane can land itself on the carrier. The mechanics plug in a diagnostic tool that tells them, "this assembly is bad" and they replace it.

Back in the day, it was more man than machine. For instance, the F-4 Phantom was a nightmare to maintain. We lost more of them in Vietnam to hydraulic failures alone than enemy fire. Pilots and mechs had to prevail as much through art and craft, as science and procedure.
    I still have scars from Phantom bites.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    What you see when a B2 attacks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Ditto from an old "Missile Weenie"!!!!!!
    Titans or Minutemen?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I still have scars from Phantom bites.
    Those things required midgets on the flight line! Going from Thuds to those for weapons load was.......challenging.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Those things required midgets on the flight line! Going from Thuds to those for weapons load was.......challenging.
    Back then I was 5' 5" and 130lbs, guess who got most of the work orders involving the aft cockpit.
    PPS1980, Risasi and leadfarmer like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links