Is anyone doing any hydroponic or aquaponic gardening?

This is a discussion on Is anyone doing any hydroponic or aquaponic gardening? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am going to start growing some veggies hydroponically. I am going to start small with the Kratky method. Google it. It's pretty interesting. The ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By lionround
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 2 Post By Novarider
  • 1 Post By RedSafety
  • 2 Post By Rockymonster
  • 1 Post By Risasi
  • 1 Post By KILTED COWBOY

Thread: Is anyone doing any hydroponic or aquaponic gardening?

I am going to start growing some veggies hydroponically. I am going to start small with the Kratky method. Google it. It's pretty interesting.

The one thing I am leery of is starting from seed. I have soil grown with starter plants in the past, but never from seed.

Wish me luck.

I will post some pics once I get set up and hopefully when I start getting plants.
    gasmitty and Risasi like this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Moderator
    Good luck!

Out here in the desert, we all have automatic irrigation systems for lawns and most of us water 2-5 times a week. My next door neighbor waters 3 times a day, 7 days a week, year round. Walking on his lawn is like walking on a swollen sponge. I accuse him of having a "hydroponic" lawn!
    msgt/ret and lionround like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have enough trouble keeping plants alive in dirt I doubt I would have any success with hydroponics.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have enough trouble keeping plants alive in dirt I doubt I would have any success with hydroponics.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Water a plant in soil too much and it dies. Take that same plant, put it in water without soil and it thrives. Makes no sense!
    lionround and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Our school is setting one up. I'm still trying to clean out that room for them. And also clean out the junk for my new maintenance shop. Would love to share stories as we get going.
    lionround likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Water a plant in soil too much and it dies. Take that same plant, put it in water without soil and it thrives. Makes no sense!
    And another thing about plants in soil.....

Water them too much, the leaves yellow and fall off..... Water them too little, the leaves yellow and fall off....

What the.....?!
    msgt/ret and lionround like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

You may be interested in this fellow's YouTube channel. I've "experimented" a bit with hydroponics. This guy though, he's experimented a LOT:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5z...o_KnU0A/videos

BTW, I love watching his videos just for the music. Due to time constraints I've done some gardening the past several years using predominately sub-irrigated container gardening, like Earthbox, or making my own out of totes. My first year was about 7-8 years ago. Using a 25 gallon tote with a 6 gallon reservoir for water I got 35-40 pounds of 'Black Krim' tomatoes off of one plant. That sold me on the concept. Not so good for root crops though.

Portable containers are also very handy for some of the more tender plants like tomatoes, peppers, cukes. I will start them indoors, then transplant about six weeks early and can keep them in the garage at night and roll them out on the driveway (SE facing) during the day. I've also experimented with growing under cheap LED lights from Home Depot. I've gotten tomatoes in January off of an array of pigtail light sockets and 1600 lumen "daylight" bulbs. Not enough to make it worth the electricity, but an interesting test nonetheless.

Moving forward I plan to do a combination of raised "wicking" beds and planting following the square foot garden method, then augmented with container gardening. I'll also likely experiment with Kratky too...just for fun.
    lionround likes this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Not since the '70s when I had all that aluminum foil on my apartment windows:)
    lionround likes this.

Sponsored Links