Virginia - Matt Bracken Weighs In

This is a discussion on Virginia - Matt Bracken Weighs In within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn't know where to throw this. I almost stuck it under 2nd Amendment and Legislation, but that seemed somewhat inappropriate since it's just some ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Virginia - Matt Bracken Weighs In

I didn't know where to throw this. I almost stuck it under 2nd Amendment and Legislation, but that seemed somewhat inappropriate since it's just some guy's, like...opinion, man.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/202...buffalo-jumps/

Interesting thoughts though, some of which have already been voiced on this forum already.

Keep your powder dry, you fellows in Virginia...methinks it's gonna be a bumpy ride in a few weeks.
    matthew03 and buckwheatpaul like this.

He is entitled to his opinion. A few things he gets wrong. The VCDL has been doing this for years. We will be there to lobby, period. We have a great relationship with Capital and Richmond Police. Both Richmond Antifa and Tidewater Antifa have come out AGAINST Northam's proposals and his heavy-handed tactics. That doesn't make them our friends, but they have made it clear they are not our enemies in this fight.

His ideas about snipers on the roofs is ridiculous. He thinks his aerial photos give a good picture of the layout. He doesn't have a clue how packed things are on a normal Lobby Day. On this one, there is no way a sniper could get a clear shot at any one person. I don't think the authorities want mass casualties caused by them.

He is all worried about outside actors, but he doesn't get he is being one of them with his article. We have LOTS of challenges with this Lobby Day, too many to name. We are working on them. What we don't need is rumor mongers who think they are smarter than everyone else making it worse.

Does that mean it could not blow up in our face? No, it very well could. But his hysterical predictions will not make that less likely.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    He sounds very much like he really wants that lobby day to be cancelled so the horrendous bills can be passed with no visible opposition. If he is not an anti 2nd amendment troll, he could sure give them lessons.

I also noticed that "American Partisan" has only 637 subscribers. That's a pretty small number.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

There are soooo many conspiracy theorists weighing in on this!!! The VCDL FB page is swamped with them. Some of the stuff is outlandish. Some militia groups have set themselves up to do crowd control, even though no one has asked them and no one wants them to. Think the Hells Angels at the Stones' concert in Altamont.

One of the saving graces, I guess, is the weather is going to suck. Hopefully that will keep a few thousand people home anyway. Getting a good turnout is not going to be a problem. As a Team Lead, I am not going to carry, just to keep things simple. I may not even stay for the rally. It will all be on video. It may even be live-streamed and we are stuck with the state's PA system, which sucks. If we get the expected turnout, only a fraction of the people will be able to hear the invited speakers.

What I would say to the pundits is: Don't make this any worse than it is. We need real helpers, not tinfoilers.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Well, I'm grateful to hear a "boots on the ground" report, especially as we have several members from the VCDL here. And I hope Bracken is totally wrong.
    viney266 likes this.

His suggestion to leave it to be fought it the courts, that it will quickly rise to SCOTUS, is absurd and defeatist. These issues may well end up in court but it is foolish to let it get that far if it can be "nipped in the bud"! If I read this right, this tactically unsound advice comes from an ex-Navy Seal.
    OldChap, NECCdude and airslot like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    His suggestion to leave it to be fought it the courts, that it will quickly rise to SCOTUS, is absurd and defeatist. These issues may well end up in court but it is foolish to let it get that far if it can be "nipped in the bud"! If I read this right, this tactically unsound advice comes from an ex-Navy Seal.
    I completely appreciate the elitism, professionalism and sacrifice of Navy SEALS. But one thing that is really starting to tick me off is ex-SEALS seem to be everywhere now, writing books, being pundits and politicians, and generally acting like experts on everything. Just saying, ex-SEAL is like an instant credibility builder. But outside of spec ops, what do they know on any topic that anyone else could not be just as qualified to know?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    I didn't know where to throw this. I almost stuck it under 2nd Amendment and Legislation, but that seemed somewhat inappropriate since it's just some guy's, like...opinion, man.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/202...buffalo-jumps/

Interesting thoughts though, some of which have already been voiced on this forum already.

Keep your powder dry, you fellows in Virginia...methinks it's gonna be a bumpy ride in a few weeks.
    Apparently, this is the only opinion against Lobby Day that I'm aware of. This is already set in motion, though. And it's more passive resistance being suggested in that article which means that if that suggestion is followed nothing will be done. But the author is right that things could go sideways. Waiting years for a SCOTUS ruling seems equally ridiculous and the ruling may not be favorable to gun owners. Not to mention that you're a felon for deciding to keep your prohibited weapons waiting for that SCOTUS ruling. One thing for sure, it's going to be real interesting to see what happens on Lobby Day.
    jmf552, ETXhiker and Hoganbeg like this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Well, Murphy's Law still applies but that is no reason to give up. Even "Tricky Dick" knew that.
    OldChap likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Apparently, this is the only opinion against Lobby Day that I'm aware of. This is already set in motion, though. And it's more passive resistance being suggested in that article which means that if that suggestion is followed nothing will be done. But the author is right that things could go sideways. Waiting years for a SCOTUS ruling seems equally ridiculous and the ruling may not be favorable to gun owners. Not to mention that you're a felon for deciding to keep your prohibited weapons waiting for that SCOTUS ruling. One thing for sure, it's going to be real interesting to see what happens on Lobby Day.
    There have actually been lots of opinions against Lobby Day elsewhere. One of the worst places is the VCDL Facebook page, and it has been radicals from the pro-gun side, not trolls from the anti-gun side. Thankfully, discussions have moved on to other topics lately. A common opinion has been something like, "Lobbying is a waste of time, we need to go in there fully kitted and armed and intimidate the heck out them."

Honestly, I am more worried about our side than the other side. As you may have heard, Mike Bloomberg was in town this week to show support for the other side. At the Prince William County Board of Supervisors meeting last night, when one of the supervisors suggested the 2A sanctuary resolution be tabled until the board could discuss it further, someone in the crowd yelled out, "You must have been sucking Mike Bloomberg's (male member) last night." Our side has some people who are not helping the cause.

Things are getting tense.
    msgt/ret and SouthernBoyVA like this.

Must be the poster child of "the (not so) quiet professionals." His former teammates are probably glad to be rid of the hand wringing, if he really is a former SEAL.

Before writing and critiquing VCDL Lobby Day, he should actually research it. He might find some shocking revelations such as:

- This isn't VCDL's first rodeo, nor was it set up in response to a singular bill this year.
    - Antifa may actually be on the same side of this topic.
    - Richmond, VA, LEOs aren't likely to direct tour buses into waiting hordes of potential attackers, then leave passengers to fend for themselves.
    - Snipers on every rooftop? Gecko45 would be proud.
    ETXhiker and OldChap like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    At the Prince William County Board of Supervisors meeting last night, when one of the supervisors suggested the 2A sanctuary resolution be tabled until the board could discuss it further, someone in the crowd yelled out, "You must have been sucking Mike Bloomberg's (male member) last night." Our side has some people who are not helping the cause.

Things are getting tense.
    I wasn't there due to work (you know, this little Iran thing) so missed that; very disappointing.

However, I did have a pleasant email exchange with Jeanine Lawson, the Brentsville District Supervisor, after emailing the whole board (she's the only one who responded). She was working to ensure these issues were open to public comment in an evening session rather than at 2 pm. I suspect she may also have been the one to suggest tabling any 2A resolution discussion until later. This may be an effort to get behind the scenes agreement from enough supervisors on the new D majority board to keep from reversing Prince William County's 2A sanctuary status despite the stated intent of the new chair.

Hurling profanities at her for this would not only be rude, but greatly unhelpful. She's on our side, for goodness sake.
    airslot and gasmitty like this.

@jmf552 , your pm inbox is full... I canít reply. (Short answer yes, and I suspect @SouthernBoyVA would like to be on the team again this year as well).

All forms and ways of fighting for our human rights are a big help. Any defeatest point of view even this nicely presented as that by Matt Braken with plenty of food for scare and wishful thinking is a setback. Think of this: the opposition is not stupid. And crap like that, even if it isn't cooked by them directly, can be partly encouraged by them.

Yes, one of two boxes failed. Now we are doing everything to quench the cosequences. We even foreseeing the need of second box. And hoping not to need the third box.
    (I used that known: ballot box, jury box, ammunition box... I'm sure everybody gets that).
    GraySkies likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    @jmf552 , your pm inbox is full... I canít reply. (Short answer yes, and I suspect @SouthernBoyVA would like to be on the team again this year as well).
    Yes, he contacted me and all is well, thanks. This is a good thing.
    graydude likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links