I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse. - Page 2

I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse.

This is a discussion on I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My condolences, glad yer boy is ok. Hard to let go sometimes, but the memories remain. Get that kid a beater, you donít have an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse.

My condolences, glad yer boy is ok.
    Hard to let go sometimes, but the memories remain.

Get that kid a beater, you donít have an attachment too.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Glad your boy and all involved are ok.

It is nice to find one you like. There is another one out there waiting for you ;)
    craze likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That's tough.

Sorry, but glad the kid's OK.

At your age you never can remember all of them anyway.

Your brain is just like a bathtub. At some point it's full, and when you pour in new stuff something else slops out.

My 2004 Suburban has 260,000 on it and is running strong. Like when I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on it.

Good luck with your 2019!
    Yep, and some memories it's probably best to just let fall out. Hope my new GM vehicle proves as reliable as yours.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    My condolences, glad yer boy is ok.
    Hard to let go sometimes, but the memories remain.

Get that kid a beater, you donít have an attachment too.
    Thanks. The fact that all I have to deal with is broken stuff, is a blessing. I'm not mad at him, I've clobbered a vehicle or two in my time. He's upset about it and we're going easy on him.

The old Titan was our beater. It was long paid for, and still running strong when he became of driving age. He doesn't stack up big miles so it made scene to just let him drive that rather than buy something else. I've mostly been driving a Dodge Avenger every day as a commuter vehicle the last 5 years. I would only drive the truck when I needed to do truck stuff. Now he will get my Avenger and I'll be back to using a pickup as my daily driver. I'm actually kind of looking forward to that.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I never had a emotional connection to any vehicle I have owned.
    Now.my sailboats are a different story.
    Some of them were almost a part of me.
    Glad your boy is okay

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I never had a emotional connection to any vehicle I have owned.
    Now.my sailboats are a different story.
    Some of them were almost a part of me.
    Glad your boy is okay
    ^^^^^^
    Name:  OIP.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  8.0 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Craze, I've had three vehicles that I grew attached to. The bike, a short box '78 GMC with a 6" lift, 39/15-15 Mickey tall baja's and a very well built 355ci engine, granny low 4-soeed and 14 bolt rear end. A go anywhere I pointed it truck. The third was actually before the pickup and was a 74 Monte Carlo and was one of the last off the assembly line with a 454ci engine, a turbo 400 transmission, and 12bolt 4.11 posi rear end. With a little massaging that beast of a car (4500lbs) would do 15 flat each and every time in the quarter. That wasn't very fast actually but it was quick, it was at top speed by the 1000foot line , the rest of the lane was just relaxing and watching the other cars drive past me at 150mph! I topped out at about 100mph with such low gears and a big block.

Those three were the memory makers, I got married at the age of 29-1/2 and all the fun ended. I fulfilled my retirement as planned by having fun, living dangerously, traveling the country, and sowing the wild oats. Now my body is not thanking me. Too many rubber side up dirt bike accidents, too many falling and jumping out of fast rolling vehicles, to many broken things in my body I never went to a doctor to get fixed correctly.

Get a Tundra with the 350 in it. You won't be disappointed... Sorry for your loss and glad your boy is OK...

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    Does it count that I still have the Harley Softail I bought new in 1984? If it won't break why replace it?
    Does that mean you don't drive it? Or do you have a means to catch the parts that fall off?

I had a wonderful. 13 year run on my motorcycles: first a 1998 Honda Shadow 1100, followed by a 2005 Honda VTX 1300. Unfortunately, due to health problems, I had to sell my bike in 2015. I still miss her, so I feel for you and sympathies with you.

Thatís my VTX in the pic to left
    craze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Does that mean you don't drive it? Or do you have a means to catch the parts that fall off?
    No parts left on her to fall off. I'm old school, the less of a motorcycle there is the more I like it. My bike lost over 150lbs within six months of me getting it. Turn signals removed, carb and air box removed in favor of a S&S Super B, the electronic ignition removed in favor of points, the exhaust system swapped to short open 28" goose neck pipes, all covers removed and what was underneath either repainted or hand polished and added a belt primary. A 'chopper' in the true sense of the word. Other than that it remained stock internally until about ten years ago. After 100,000miles it needed a rebuild. Nothing extraordinary except for a much larger racing cam. I once weighed my bike, it weighed about 450lbs. A far cry from the stock 600plus pounds it left the factory with. The exhaust alone was worth about 75lbs.

She ain't pretty anymore, but she runs good. Never did repaint. The old goose neck pipes are dull, the aluminum is dull. I don't own anything that needs to impress anyone, I own stuff that I make work and keep it working. Born out of being poor most of my life. In my day they were called sleepers. A machine that could do what you wanted it to when you wanted it to do it. And then it could still be put away wet. Outward looks are just vanity.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    You wear sandles with socks and post the pictures online? Bold move
    craze, M1911A1 and oldIthink like this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    I had a wonderful. 13 year run on my motorcycles: first a 1998 Honda Shadow 1100, followed by a 2005 Honda VTX 1300. Unfortunately, due to health problems, I had to sell my bike in 2015. I still miss her, so I fel for you and sympathies with you.

Thatís my VTX in the pic to left
    Great bikes. My previous bike was a VTX. That's another one I had warm and fuzzies for.

And the next one. Best pics I got. It was dark when I picked it up, and it's near dark when I leave for work and near dark when I come home. Not too fancy, basically the "work truck" trim level. Checks off my boxes, V8, trailer hitch, 4 wheel drive. First impressions are good. Runs strong, feels solid, no squeaks or rattles. Plan on keeping it a while and putting lots of miles on it.

OD* likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links