I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse.

This is a discussion on I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Friday afternoon my son was involved in an automobile accident. My heart sank when my frantic wife called me at work with the news. As ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: I guess I get attached to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse.

Friday afternoon my son was involved in an automobile accident. My heart sank when my frantic wife called me at work with the news. As soon I found out all parties involved walked away I was relived and thankfull.

He was diving my old 04 Nissan Titan that I've had for more than 15 years. I don't consider myself a materialistic person and usually let go of old stuff without much fan fare. I have to say after the dust settled, and I had to clean out what ever I wanted from my freshly totaled vehicle, I got a little choked up walking away.

That thing was with me through several different phases of my life. I was a different person when I bought it than I am today. 204,000 miles of memories good and bad. It goes to the salvage yard with secrets few know, some no one knows but me. I was a thin, reckless, restless, 28 year old when I bought it. I'm now a rather tame, responsible beer gutted (even though I drink less beer) 44 year old. Here's a few pics of my old friend in no particular chronological order.

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Condolences upon the death of your faithful and long-lasting 4WD.
    I feel your pain: My own 35-year-old is dying as we speak, and there's snow coming on Monday.

I won't have a replacement until early March.
    I hope that yours will come to you on a much better schedule.

P.S.: I'm glad to know that there was no meaningful human injury, when your truck bought the farm.
    Rock and Glock and craze like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

I too feel your pain...

My daily driver '04 Wrangler was custom ordered from Jeep and had 6 miles of dealer checkout when I drove it off the lot. Now it has ~243K, and it's still my baby.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Does it count that I still have the Harley Softail I bought new in 1984? If it won't break why replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    Does it count that I still have the Harley Softail I bought new in 1984? If it won't break why replace it?
    It does as far as I'm concerned.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Well craze, I cannot part with that bike. Like you I just have a sort of connection with it. We went through life together from the age of 27 til now at 62 (really too close to 63). I got rid of my 1980 Sporty (bought it new in 80) a year later. The Softy was my perfect ride. We spent a lot of weekends at the drag strip trying to break down into the middle 11 seconds (yeah, it was slow by crotch rocket standards). IIRC 11.95 was the quickest I ever managed on the quarter.

That was a good looking Titan, it doesn't look totaled except from an age versus worth viewpoint. If it didn't harm the frame or engine then it could still be made into your hunting/fishing truck even if you have to keep the drivers door shut with a bungee cord.

I've admired the Titans from afar. Especially the newer ones.

FWIW- I owned a Toy truck once; a 1985 pickup sometime in the 90's. Not real good off road. Not real good all the way around. I had to fish plate the entire frame with 3/8" plate it was so rusted out. I sold it with full disclosure and the truck lasted another few years before it completely broke in half. But Toyota fixed those poor steel problems when they moved production to the states from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    Well craze, I cannot part with that bike. Like you I just have a sort of connection with it. We went through life together from the age of 27 til now at 62 (really too close to 63). I got rid of my 1980 Sporty (bought it new in 80) a year later. The Softy was my perfect ride. We spent a lot of weekends at the drag strip trying to break down into the middle 11 seconds (yeah, it was slow by crotch rocket standards). IIRC 11.95 was the quickest I ever managed on the quarter.

That was a good looking Titan, it doesn't look totaled except from an age versus worth viewpoint. If it didn't harm the frame or engine then it could still be made into your hunting/fishing truck even if you have to keep the drivers door shut with a bungee cord.

I've admired the Titans from afar. Especially the newer ones.

FWIW- I owned a Toy truck once; a 1985 pickup sometime in the 90's. Not real good off road. Not real good all the way around. I had to fish plate the entire frame with 3/8" plate it was so rusted out. I sold it with full disclosure and the truck lasted another few years before it completely broke in half. But Toyota fixed those poor steel problems when they moved production to the states from what I hear.
    I ride a 2014 yamaha vstar 1300. Its a strong running bike but I doubt it'll touch an sub 12 second quarter mile. The Titan looked better from afar than up close. Just in the last couple of years I was getting rust on the body, several dents and a hole punched through the rear quarter panel several years ago by a buddy's failed attempt to back up a utility trailer. I was enjoying it being an old beat up vehicle that I didn't care about getting scratches on. I think I changed the transmission fluid once but I don't remember when. It was running strong at 204,000 miles on the original spark plugs.

I only had liability insurance on it and we can't blame the other party for this one, so paying out of pocket to fix just doesn't make financial sense. I was planning on replacing it later this year, just not like this.

I'm picking up a 2019 GMC Sierra on Wednesday. I expect it to be a good reliable vehicle, I doubt I'll make the same kind of memories with it that I made with the Nissan. Then again who knows, maybe I'll make some better ones with it.

Glad to hear your son is ok. Trucks can be replaced. Never fun to replace one youíre not ready to part with though.
    We get the government we deserve.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I can't recall ever feeling that way about a land vehicle, but when we sold our dive before we moved to Utah I was unprepared for the emotional wallop I received when I watched the new owner drive away with it.
    airslot likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

VIP Member
    Craze....the young bucks will do that for you. I am sorry. Iím very glad that heís up and walking and healthy and fine. Any day that you can take the boy home from something like that is a far better day than it would seem. I know the flip side of all that.

But .... the strategically placed beer and blood stains are gone, along with your truck. That sucks brother. Clearly you need a nuddin. Thatís gonna take some sound thinking, some money that you hadnít planned on spending and some luck. What color is your aura? Keep us posted on the nuddin.

ETA that I now see that youíve got a new one coming. Good! No, you wonít repeat the same memories but you probably couldnít live through some of them a second time.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Its tough saying good-bye to old friends. I'm more emotionally attached to my truck than most of my guns.
    Old Man, oldIthink and craze like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Glad no one was hurt. I have three grown and still worry.

I always thought it would have been cool to keep every vehicle I have owned. Just drag em out back when I am done with them.
    Hang by the fire pit remembering our brushes with death and general fun, maybe shoot some holes in em.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Know the feeling. I may be selling my 08 F150 this year. Itís gonna be hard to let her go. Tons of memories with my dog. Hunting trips, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    craze likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I guess I get attacehed to things. Saying goodby to my mecanical horse.

I understand completely. I'm still attached to my 1986 Toyota 4WD pickup, even though it's been semi-retired for almost 10 years now and sits in the garage a lot.

It's taken me to both coasts, Canada and Mexico in its time. And over some pretty extreme offroad trails. Tough as nails and just refuses to stop running well.
    Old Man, craze and Rock and Glock like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Senior Moderator
    That's tough.

Sorry, but glad the kid's OK.

I doubt I'll make the same kind of memories with it that I made with the Nissan. Then again who knows, maybe I'll make some better ones with it.
    At your age you never can remember all of them anyway.

Your brain is just like a bathtub. At some point it's full, and when you pour in new stuff something else slops out.

My 2004 Suburban has 260,000 on it and is running strong. Like when I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on it.

Good luck with your 2019!
    RETSUPT99, craze and M1911A1 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links