How I handle controversial topics - Page 3

How I handle controversial topics

This is a discussion on How I handle controversial topics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If I thought everyone's opinion was going to be the same as mine - I would find other folks to exchange messages with. You can ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: How I handle controversial topics

If I thought everyone's opinion was going to be the same as mine - I would find other folks to exchange messages with. You can be wrong as often as you wish Raven.
    G26Raven and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nj709 View Post
    You can be wrong as often as you wish Raven.
    As I so frequently am....
    ETXhiker likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Don’t let the flakes (or mods) sensor you. Free speech is dying, don’t be weak and contribute to its demise. If this, or any other, forum goes the way of the safe space snowflake we’ll just make another forum to replace it. That’s the beauty of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    I enjoy some of your threads. I avoid many of the hyper partisan ones. I'm a big boy and don't seek to get upset by someone else's thoughts online.

But, there is a fairly regular theme of downright negativity in the majority of your threads. I don't know you personally and won't judge you solely by your posts/threads. But what comes off often is a very offended and angry guy. Not trying to put you down G26Raven or start any sort of argument, but the pessimism can be overwhelming. Often times if I see a thread is started by you I just skip past it.

Having dealt with my own negativity and cynical nature I would suggest to spread more optimism than cynicism. I can still be a crank but try to keep my negativity in check by making more positive posts than negative ones.
    Oh my God! a totally optimistic G26 Raven would be too much! Like a hyper active kid after a gallon of soda! DR

Is there a punch line here Raven?
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    There are times when I want to respond to a post but I don't because I don't want to come across as militant (even if I might be).
    Same here. Although militant is not the right description for what I write. I like to write, I get carried away when I start. I can ramble like I am now. The other forums I'm on are used to it, here I get the feeling that if a thought isn't complete in 80 characters or less it's too long of a post. My thoughts can be pages long. Just last night I deleted three posts that I thought would be ignored like many of what I post here are...

Just kidding...I find it really hard to dislike my computer screen no matter what letters are written on it or by whom. Carry on...
    G26Raven and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Oh my God! a totally optimistic G26 Raven would be too much! Like a hyper active kid after a gallon of soda! DR
    Once again, I fall out of my chair laughing! It's going to be a good day!
    You are your own first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I've been around since 2005, and have yet to be offended by anyone - and that's hard because I'm mostly negative ...
    Why do you call yourself “Geezer” if you’re only fifteen?
    G26Raven likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Ruffled feathers . . .
    ”Hey DAD! Where have you been?! Mom’s looking for you!
    G26Raven, ETXhiker and Doghandler like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I've been around since 2005, and have yet to be offended by anyone - and that's hard because I'm mostly negative (it's the QA background).
    Leaving room for improvement? Gotta hit that "totally negative" target to attain your curmudgeon rating.
    Geezer, G26Raven and dangerranger like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    From time to time, people have expressed discomfort with my posts. I understand that at times I can be a bit "off the wall." Lately, if I think something I am about to post may be a bit controversial, I run it by a moderator before I put it on the forum. Just last week, when I checked with one of the mods he suggested I refrain from putting up a post that had the potential for conflict, and of course, I complied.

I am not offended when someone tells me they think I may have stepped over a line. It's better than stepping on one of my more valuable appendages. But just remember, if you think I have posted something that's beyond the pale, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Attachment 310554

There are no apparent reasons for you to be overly concerned about a few offended forum members. You certainly have not come close to offending me. The only persons you might have a care about are the Moderators who will certainly let you know if you crossed any line. I say soldier on. Let the complainers change their behavior by ignoring your posts or threads instead of you changing yours. We all know no one can please everyone. Keep calm and post on!
    G26Raven and dangerranger like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links