How I handle controversial topics

This is a discussion on How I handle controversial topics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From time to time, people have expressed discomfort with my posts. I understand that at times I can be a bit "off the wall." Lately, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: How I handle controversial topics

From time to time, people have expressed discomfort with my posts. I understand that at times I can be a bit "off the wall." Lately, if I think something I am about to post may be a bit controversial, I run it by a moderator before I put it on the forum. Just last week, when I checked with one of the mods he suggested I refrain from putting up a post that had the potential for conflict, and of course, I complied.

I am not offended when someone tells me they think I may have stepped over a line. It's better than stepping on one of my more valuable appendages. But just remember, if you think I have posted something that's beyond the pale, please don't hesitate to let me know.

How I handle controversial topics-82865319_1144324019245516_238791565953204224_o.jpg
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

We are a varied group brought here by a common interest. I sincerely appreciate the other opinions of our members. I really enjoy all of the non firearm related threads like the watches, and razors.

@G26Raven , every family has at least one ;)
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

How I handle controversial topics-post.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

We all have our opinions.
    Even if I disagree with yours, I will defend your right to be wrong.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I enjoy some of your threads. I avoid many of the hyper partisan ones. I'm a big boy and don't seek to get upset by someone else's thoughts online.

But, there is a fairly regular theme of downright negativity in the majority of your threads. I don't know you personally and won't judge you solely by your posts/threads. But what comes off often is a very offended and angry guy. Not trying to put you down G26Raven or start any sort of argument, but the pessimism can be overwhelming. Often times if I see a thread is started by you I just skip past it.

Having dealt with my own negativity and cynical nature I would suggest to spread more optimism than cynicism. I can still be a crank but try to keep my negativity in check by making more positive posts than negative ones.

Say what you feel, those who don't like it can get over it or be offended, their opinion should have no effect on who you are at your core, be yourself and don't worry what people think about you because when it's all said and done we each stand before our creator by ourselves to be judged whether or not we are worthy
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Entertainment72, sorry if you see my posts as negative. I would describe myself as a "realist." My philosophy is "hope for the best, plan for the worst." It's great if you can have a more positive view of the world.

I've been around long enough, worked enough jobs, and been enough places, to see that while there are many good people, there are also more than a few people who are not so good. I'm willing to take most people at face value until they prove otherwise.
    We are ALL Virginians!

flh
    Affirmative Sir
    Attached Images  

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    I enjoy some of your threads. I avoid many of the hyper partisan ones. I'm a big boy and don't seek to get upset by someone else's thoughts online.

But, there is a fairly regular theme of downright negativity in the majority of your threads. I don't know you personally and won't judge you solely by your posts/threads. But what comes off often is a very offended and angry guy. Not trying to put you down G26Raven or start any sort of argument, but the pessimism can be overwhelming. Often times if I see a thread is started by you I just skip past it.

Having dealt with my own negativity and cynical nature I would suggest to spread more optimism than cynicism. I can still be a crank but try to keep my negativity in check by making more positive posts than negative ones.
    I have to disagree. I think his posts are meant to be funny and usually they are. All effective humor has an element of negativity. We live in times where there is a lot to be negative about and sometimes it is cathartic to let it out.

I can't imagine you have been on too many gun forums online if you think G26Raven is negative. He is Pollyanna compared to what I read elsewhere.

Keep it up, @G26Raven .
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    I may have stepped over a line. It's better than stepping on one of my more valuable appendages.
    That is a matter of opinion.

^^^^^ This is humor.

You're a good sport, Raven
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post

Now this is an interesting comment. I personally haven't come to any conclusion or really pay attention to the pattern of your threads, G26Raven. I simply notice you start many and I usually post on them without reflecting on you if they are of interest to me. But as to negativity, that's interesting. In church our Pastor spends a great deal of time critiquing today's church. It can get very negative, but it also exposes attitudes and beliefs (false or otherwise) within ourselves and the church. This then opens us up to comment and discussion which sheds light upon the proper way to do these things. The same thing happens in these threads many times. I think it is up to the individual posters to correct whatever may be wrong with the topic at hand. I find that this happens many times. That's one reason I enjoy this forum.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    G26Raven. I enjoy the banter that you start here.
    Many of your more recent posts have started with humor or a joke.
    Perhaps my sense of humor is not the norm, but I have yet to be offended by anything you have posted.
    On this forum, some folks never start a new topic, some just respond to posts. I am sure that there are some who just read and never go past that.
    Then there are those who post new topics regularly.
    There is something for everyone here.
    Keep it up.
    If it was not for guys like you, we might run out of stuff to discuss and life would be boring

@G26Raven Keep sharing. I think most people lose perspective. First, you are entitled to your opinion. It is better if your opinion is the same as my opinion, but you are entitled to be wrong.

Second, even when we disagree, it is important to be respectful. One of my big personal pet peeves is when people assume that if I disagree with them on an intellectual basis that I also have some measure of hatred towards them personally. I do not hate people that I disagree with. I don't hate. Former AG Eric Holder set a really bad precedent when he stated that people that disagree with BHO are racists. People believed him.
    G26Raven, airslot, flh and 7 others like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post

Even when we disagree, it is important to be respectful. One of my big personal pet peeves is when people assume that if I disagree with them on an intellectual basis that I also have some measure of hatred towards them personally. I do not hate people that I disagree with. I don't hate. Former AG Eric Holder set a really bad precedent when he stated that people that disagree with BHO are racists. People believed him.
    Right on target!
    airslot and ETXhiker like this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

From time to time, people have expressed discomfort with my posts. I understand that at times I can be a bit "off the wall." Lately, if I think something I am about to post may be a bit controversial, I run it by a moderator before I put it on the forum. Just last week, when I checked with one of the mods he suggested I refrain from putting up a post that had the potential for conflict, and of course, I complied.

That is a great idea....if we all think and run it by the moderator we can maintain a great forum! I posted something one time and the moderator send me a pm and said that my post might cause some problems.....he was honest and fair and I thanked him for the oversight! Great post G26Raven!
    G26Raven and Rock and Glock like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links