The newest scandal

The newest scandal

This is a discussion on The newest scandal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two of the game's brightest minds, Alex Cora and AJ Hinch, are now unemployed, forced to confront the possibility that their suddenly tainted reputations might ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: The newest scandal

The newest scandal

Two of the game's brightest minds, Alex Cora and AJ Hinch, are now unemployed, forced to confront the possibility that their suddenly tainted reputations might prevent them from ever managing again. Two of the sport's most dominant teams, the 2017 Houston Astros and the 2018 Boston Red Sox, now shoulder the reputation of cheaters, their illegal sign-stealing practices spoiling the memories of their greatness...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-rep-knew-more
    5lima30ret and Old Man like this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    There has been cheating as long as there has been sports.
    Remember the Chicago Blacksocks? That was 1919.
    Some things never change.

VIP Member
    MLB. Billion dollar industry. What'd ya expect. Sport's mafia, like all of it. Got ALL the drama TOO!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

A little off thread, but Mrs OldChap and I ran out of things to watch and decided to give Netflix one more go with their documentary about Aaron Hernandez.

A huge dose of long-winded repetition, but if you come away from that with any respect whatsoever left for anyone involved with the "National Felons League", it would surprise me.

I know that is an overly broad brush stroke as there are some players worth their weight in gold because of their concern for people ( JJ Watt for one ), but the team owners?

It does give a lot of insight into the "winning is the only important thing" mentality that plagues these multi-billion dollar outfits.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    A little off thread, but Mrs OldChap and I ran out of things to watch and decided to give Netflix one more go with their documentary about Aaron Hernandez.

A huge dose of long-winded repetition, but if you come away from that with any respect whatsoever left for anyone involved with the "National Felons League", it would surprise me.

I know that is an overly broad brush stroke as there are some players worth their weight in gold because of their concern for people ( JJ Watt for one ), but the team owners?

It does give a lot of insight into the "winning is the only important thing" mentality that plagues these multi-billion dollar outfits.
    I think players are starting to get wise slowly in the NFL....Look at Luke Kuechly for the Panthers...28 yrs old and one of the best just called it a career.
    You are seeing more and more get out early for their health.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    I just don't understand. We always worked to steal the signs of the opposing team in HS (not good enough for NCAA or Minors). Often we were successful, many times not. They were doing the same thing. How is this an issue?
    OldChap, hogdaddy and Novarider like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    I just don't understand. We always worked to steal the signs of the opposing team in HS (not good enough for NCAA or Minors). Often we were successful, many times not. They were doing the same thing. How is this an issue?
    I believe the issue is using electronics to assist in stealing signs, not that signs are stolen.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I believe the issue is using electronics to assist in stealing signs, not that signs are stolen.
    Yes, you ARE correct. BUT, TO ME, that's the same as saying "I only steal from rich folks & the government, BECAUSE THEY can afford it"!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

My solution is simple.

From now on, the pitcher, and only the pitcher decides what to throw. No input from anyone, just throw.
    I think that would make things more interesting.
    railfancwb and M1911A1 like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sorry, but back in the day we used film to capture the play-by-play from an outfield camera with a telephoto. One job of the student manager was to analyze the catchers signs and the subsequent pitcher throw in order to position batters in the future to relay signs from 1st (if possible) and 2nd to the batter in subsequent games. Seems to me that MLB should be more concerned about things like drugs, the sky-high cost of attending a game, etc.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Here's the type of "sports hero" I can respect. Even lives down by O.V. Innovator, NOT a thief!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=don+ga...&setlang=en-US
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Here's the type of "sports hero" I can respect. Even lives down by O.V. Innovator, NOT a thief!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=don+ga...&setlang=en-US
    What about Cole Trickle and Rowdy Burns?
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    I was honored to get to shake Don Garlits' hand one day at Dallas International Motor Speedway (dragstrip). An amazing man!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    My solution is simple.

From now on, the pitcher, and only the pitcher decides what to throw. No input from anyone, just throw.
    I think that would make things more interesting.
    It would be nice for the catcher to know what's coming, especially if the pitcher is throwing a knuckleball.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I know this is "Off Topic and Humor," but this is not humorous and professional and college sports is so off topic it ought to be on another forum. You might at least put the sport name in the title, so most of us who are concerned with Defensive Carry won't click on it.

Or, alternatively, I can start posting on the following, actually real sports. They make as much sense as US professional sports and no one takes a knee for The Anthem and the players don't get busted for beating up women, drugs, rape, dog fighting, etc.
    • Wife Carrying
    • Chess Boxing
    • Cheese Rolling
    • Extreme Ironing
    • Egg Throwing
    • Underwater Hockey
    • Shin Kicking
    • Toe Wrestling
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links