Internet gun puchases & taxes - Page 2

Internet gun puchases & taxes

This is a discussion on Internet gun puchases & taxes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by spclopr8tr I haven't encountered it locally unless the online retailer had a brick and mortar presence in the state. Amazon has distribution ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Internet gun puchases & taxes

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I haven't encountered it locally unless the online retailer had a brick and mortar presence in the state. Amazon has distribution centers in TN, so anything come directly from a distro center gets TN tax. For Amazon providers out of state, no taxes being added.

As for firearms purchased on line, I've never personally encountered. Bass Pro and Cabella's both have physical presence in TN. So if I were to buy from them on line, I'd get taxed. There was ONE FFL in MD I did business with that added MD taxes to transfers. I only used him once as none of the others added the MD tax.
    I guess that's why I'm being charged sales tax but I'm not aware of an Amazon presence in Nebraska. Even ebay is charging sales tax as well as other online vendors.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I guess that's why I'm being charged sales tax but I'm not aware of an Amazon presence in Nebraska. Even ebay is charging sales tax as well as other online vendors.
    Vendor agreements with the states.

https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and...2b8a63af6.html

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announ.../ba-p/30282351

The world changes...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It's only a matter of time before all states will be collecting sales taxes on internet sales. It will start with the behemoths like Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Lowes, etc., but eventually it will likely be with any retailer with an on line presence. Governments will always find a way to reach deeper into our pockets.
    1MoreFord and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

MI first passed a law stating you had to claim out of state (mail order) purchases on your state income tax. Very few people did. The new law requires retailers shipping to MI addresses must collect sales tax. I have no idea how MI collects that tax when the retailer is out of state?

This tax collection is online retailers covering their bases.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taltexan View Post
    My ammo suppliers have started charging sales tax on out of state purchases. Taxes along with shipping has put their prices up there with local dealers.
    Maybe so for some ammo but not all. I refuse to buy the 20-25 round packaging of premium self defense ammo at a dollar a round or so available locally unless there is no alternative. By buying the 50 round packaging of LEO intended ammo I can buy cheaper online even with shipping and tax. The further trick is to save up a bit and buy a case and get the free shipping available from some sellers.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    Maybe so for some ammo but not all. I refuse to buy the 20-25 round packaging of premium self defense ammo at a dollar a round or so available locally unless there is no alternative. By buying the 50 round packaging of LEO intended ammo I can buy cheaper online even with shipping and tax. The further trick is to save up a bit and buy a case and get the free shipping available from some sellers.
    Just bought 1K rounds of ammo from Palmetto State Armory. Got the free shipping. They did tax me. Really gonna have to watch shipping, taxes and credit card fees to make sure purchases are worth it. Nickels and dimes add up quickly.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links