Interesting perspective on Dr. Martin Luther King

This is a discussion on Interesting perspective on Dr. Martin Luther King within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll be the first to admit that I have never taken a course on black history. I did live through the era of the civil ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Interesting perspective on Dr. Martin Luther King

I'll be the first to admit that I have never taken a course on black history. I did live through the era of the civil rights movement, lived in L.A. during the Watts riots, lived in Southern California during the riots following the trial of Rodney King, and have read a number of books on the social conditions faced by the black people in this country.

I ran across this piece about Dr. King this morning and thought it to be interesting (it was written by a black man). I have no idea how most black people will view this, or whether this is an accurate assessment. The Wall Street Journal has a pay wall so you may not be able to follow the link, but they do have a share function for this particular piece. If you want to read it in its entirety, PM me with your email address.

The Left Forgets What Martin Luther King Stood For

As the nation celebrates the birth of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the progressive left will again seize the moment to twist the story of black Americans’ struggle, to the detriment of those who suffered most in that struggle. They’ll put all the attention on the oppressive conditions faced by black freedom fighters—what white racists did to them—rather than on their own spirit in fighting to gain equal rights under the law. Instead of celebrating blacks’ achievements and the progress made toward delivering on America’s promissory note, the left will transport yesterday’s real injustices into today’s false social-justice narrative, ignoring the principles that were so crucial to Dr. King.

History is full of inspiring examples of black people succeeding against the odds, including building their own schools, hotels, railroads and banking systems when doors were closed to them. According to the economist Thomas Sowell, “the poverty rate among blacks fell from 87 percent in 1940 to 47 percent by 1960.”

These accomplishments were made possible by a set of values cherished among the blacks of the time: self-determination, resiliency, personal virtue, honesty, honor and accountability. Dr. King understood that these values would be the bedrock for black success once true equality was won. As early as 1953, he warned that “one of the most common tendencies of human nature is that of placing responsibility on some external agency for sins we have committed or mistakes we have made.”

Today the progressive left wants to ignore the achievements and pretend that blacks are perpetual victims of white racism. The New York Times’s “1619 Project” essay series is the latest salvo in this attack on America’s history and founding, claiming “anti-black racism runs in the very DNA of this country.” This statement is an abomination of everything Dr. King stood for. Further, the left’s disinterest in historical accuracy—as evinced in the Times’s dismissal of corrections sought by prominent historians—and its frequent perversion of blacks’ story will have grave consequences not only for blacks but the nation as a whole.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lef...=hp_opin_pos_1
    You are your own first responder.

Good article! Thanks for sharing!
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Atlanta prior to Johnson’s welfare initiatives had a thriving black middle class, several black newspapers and radio stations, and locally owned merchants. That all was pretty much gone by the 70s.
    G26Raven and railfancwb like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Atlanta prior to Johnson’s welfare initiatives had a thriving black middle class, several black newspapers and radio stations, and locally owned merchants. That all was pretty much gone by the 70s.
    That's something I did not know.
    railfancwb likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Good article.
    MLK did not want a hand out for the black community, he just wanted a even playing field.
    Johnson and his "great society" has done more to put black people back in slavery.
    MLK would not like what is happening to blacks today.
    G26Raven, PPS1980 and railfancwb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Good article.
    MLK did not want a hand out for the black community, he just wanted a even playing field.
    Johnson and his "great society" has done more to put black people back in slavery.
    MLK would not like what is happening to blacks today.
    He wasn't exactly happy about what was happening to them back then either.
    PPS1980, G26Raven and railfancwb like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    MLK would be rising up in indignation against the shackles placed by the Democrats.
    G26Raven and railfancwb like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Sponsored Links