Is Facebook your friend? (Opinions) - Page 3

Is Facebook your friend? (Opinions)

This is a discussion on Is Facebook your friend? (Opinions) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet Three-egg omelet, tomato slices, coffee, and wheat toast . . . since you asked. ......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Is Facebook your friend? (Opinions)

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Three-egg omelet, tomato slices, coffee, and wheat toast . . . since you asked.
    Attached Images  

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Don't know. I never tried it. I have thought about going on Twitter just to follow President Trump.
    You don't have to join Twitter to follow him. Just save this page.
    Condition Yellow...

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I don't do Facebook, Twitter, my space, or none of that stuff, but I can Google with the best of them.
    I don't use them either... don't even have to Google. My better half knows everything so I just ask her
    montejames likes this.
    Condition Yellow...

I have no use for the tome of visages.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    It was in the omelet, as well as ham and sausage.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    No FB for me I could care less what you had for breakfast this morning.

As for staying in contact with old friends, my phone rings and we talk.

I wouldn't have a cell phone if my wife didn't ask me to keep one, most of the time I do not carry it.

same here, when CWO is home I usually donít even know where my phone is and this goes on for every weekend and evening. I donít like phones except staying in touch with a handful of friends Iíve had some for decades.

I like spam phone calls and make them wish they had never dialed my number, itís fun. One finally changed their number, I kept calling them back wanting to talk about death and how they probably didnít have much longer cause I saw it in my visions 🤣
    flh, montejames, wmhawth and 1 others like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

I'm no fan of facebook but it's hard to completely ignore it. There seems to be a trend of places like sportsman's clubs for example, that used to have a dedicated website but now only have a facebook page. If I want to keep up with their schedule of events I pretty much have to go on facebook. When I need to know if the club is having some event that closes the range to the general membership facebook is where I get that information. Saves me from going and finding out I can't shoot that day. I guess I think of it as a necessary evil.

I have very few people on my friends list and some of them I don't follow so I don't get a lot of crap to wade through.

I first went on Facebook because it was the most direct way for me to keep in touch with my deployed sons in Afghanistan and I could see their pics which was great. I am still on and I have exactly 16 "friends" who are all but a couple family. It lets me see all the photos of the 7 Grand kids which are scattered all over the country. Its worth just that to me.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    I am a musician and Facebook lets me keep tabs on where my friends are playing. Once in a blue moon, I will actually go out to see them. Most of my leftist friends have already unfriended me, so I don't have to deal with their politics. I see a lot of funny memes, and links to interesting news items.

I get the objections a lot of people have and agree with most of them, but I have not shut my account down yet. I am very careful not to post anything personal to the site.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    FB has its uses. The wife and I are in a restricted group relating to a specific dog breed, and it's moderated by our breeder.

It's also useful for sharing pics with families and friends not near by. I still rely principally on email, but the generation behind me seems to find that too dated, so FB is a common ground.

Where people get crossed up is in being ignorant about privacy settings. My FB photo shows one of my dogs! Same holds true for Google; I have a gmail account, but I rarely log into Google except when necessary. It's potentially way too intrusive and harvests more information than needed.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I don't DO....LIKE....OR NEED Facebook/Twitter/Faceplace/HomeBoyPlace/GayPlace or whatever else is out there !!!! Satan's alley.....
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

I don't know why people whine about social media platforms. You don't like 'em don't use 'em. If you decide to use them anyway, know the risks and what prudent behaviors are on the platform. It's like "electronic situational awareness." But complaining about it is as useful as asking, "Is it good idea to walk down a dark alley in the 'hood?" Heck, we may find out someday that this site has gotten as compromised as Facebook. We may find out all our text messages are monitored.

I researched, developed and gave a presentation last year on "cyber security for non-computer experts." What I learned is by far, most breaches of personal security are the fault of the person compromised, not the sites they are on. 78 percent of people claim to know the risks that come with clicking unknown links in emails and yet they still click these links. On average, one in about 131 emails you get contains malware, but many people don't have the latest and greatest security software. People still use weak passwords and use the same passwords on multiple sites.

I'm not going to waste my time and what little sanity I have left worrying about it. I follow reasonable security procedures and move on. Complaining about the state of the internet is like complaining about the weather.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I quit FB years ago. Havenít missed the drama.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

FB aint my "friend", that term is reserved for a handful. I don't disike it; I just don't use it. Apparently I don't need it.
    I'm not trying to "keep up" with anyone that I don't consistently communicate with (Immediate family).
    I don't need anyone to "like" what I ________ (I'm not doing _____ for social reinforcement)
    Social media is for those more social than I am.
    Bikenut and oldIthink like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Did I mention all my Facebook friends get Christmas cards?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links