I must be getting cynical in my old age.

This is a discussion on I must be getting cynical in my old age. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got a call from a number I did not recognize the other night saying I had won a car or $10,000 in cash and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: I must be getting cynical in my old age.

I got a call from a number I did not recognize the other night saying I had won a car or $10,000 in cash and to call back at the number. Well I have not entered any contests either online or by mail which made me mighty suspicious. Did I miss out on a car or some cash???
    LimaCharlie, OD*, G-man* and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

The nice man from Nigeria just wanted to help you out...
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Just send $395 in walmart gift cards to cover the tax and license, and the car will be yours...
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

It was a very very expensive car.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

I found it much easier to get cynical early in life. I don't know why people wait until old age to do so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I found it much easier to get cynical early in life. I don't know why people wait until old age to do so.
    You have helped me out to that end......
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I got a call from a number I did not recognize the other night saying I had won a car or $10,000 in cash and to call back at the number. Well I have not entered any contests either online or by mail which made me mighty suspicious. Did I miss out on a car or some cash???
    At least you did not get the phone call that the IRS has issued a warrant for your arrest unless you give them $3,000 in Greed Dot cards. Of course when I got the call, I told them I was in the Federal Building and I would come up to their office. The caller said tht was not acceptable. My youngest son, when he got the call, kept the guy on the phone while pretending to be walking to Walmart to get the Green Dot cards. Kept the caller on the phone for an hour (long walk). Then my son told the caller where he could go. When the caller asked why my son played along so long, he said it kept him from scamming someone else for an hour.
    Poorly, ETXhiker, OldChap and 4 others like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    At least you did not get the phone call that the IRS has issued a warrant for your arrest unless you give them $3,000 in Greed Dot cards. Of course when I got the call, I told them I was in the Federal Building and I would come up to their office. The caller said tht was not acceptable. My youngest son, when he got the call, kept the guy on the phone while pretending to be walking to Walmart to get the Green Dot cards. Kept the caller on the phone for an hour (long walk). Then my son told the caller where he could go. When the caller asked why my son played along so long, he said it kept him from scamming someone else for an hour.
    I have got a few calls claiming to be from the Sheriff’s office saying I had missed jury duty and if I didn’t pay the fine I would be arrested, haven’t seen a deputy yet.
    Tstone, OldChap, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.

I got a spam call from myself recently. Caller ID said the call was from my phone number, but my phone was ringing.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    You have helped me out to that end......
    Anything for a friend.
    NECCdude, G-man* and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You answer your phone?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    We now let all unknown source calls go to voice mail. Very occasionally one of them is legitimate. All of the rest get reported to Nomorobo on line.

I used to answer and sometimes play games with the callers but I have better things to do with my time, even though I'm long retired and have lot of time. They are going to keep scamming/phishing no matter what you do or say, but reporting them to Nomorobo does seem to have cut down a bit on the number of them.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You answer your phone?
    If it is a number I know otherwise the recorder gets it.

I get those wonderfull calls. Let them go to the vm. On the other end of things, at work I get the calls of Imy brother (sister, mom, etc.) can't call me, but they can text me. When they call, they get a busy signal. I usually have it fixed within 5 minutes, by removing scam block, and reassigning the number correctly. These scammers use a program to make it look like they are calling from a local number, only problem is that then the person's number they are "using" gets tagged as scam, and then they can't call people and get through.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

MJK
    Occasionally I get calls with numbers “similar” to mine. The first time I answered one it was a robocall. After that I now block any unrecognized numbers.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links