Proton Mail & VPN

Proton Mail & VPN

This is a discussion on Proton Mail & VPN within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cyber security experts, what are your thoughts on Proton mail and VPN free and paid services?...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Novarider
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By gnius
  • 1 Post By NECCdude
  • 1 Post By fanthom
  • 1 Post By jmf552

Thread: Proton Mail & VPN

Proton Mail & VPN

Cyber security experts, what are your thoughts on Proton mail and VPN free and paid services?
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I know VPN is the magic I use if ever fool enough to look at work stuff from home. But that all I got.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Free vpn's are usually junk and have very slow connections. I use expressvpn, it's one of the highest rated vpn's, available for a decent price and it's very fast. It's $13 a month or $99 if you pay for a year at a time.

I'm no cyber expert, but I use Proton mail and Express VPN.

Proton Mail works well, but it has no provision for nested folders, if you're anal like me and want to keep your email organized.

Express VPN can be slow to connect to their servers at times, but once it is connected the service is reasonably fast, even here in Southern Utah.
    graydude likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Cyber security experts, what are your thoughts on Proton mail and VPN free and paid services?
    I just run my own mail server for friends and family, and use Signal for most private messaging. I use Private Internet Access as my VPN, but only on public networks or for things I don't want my ISP associating with me.
    graydude likes this.

VIP Member
    I run my own VPN server and mail server. That said, paid VPN is best but you need to be concerned with services that keep logs of your activity.
    graydude likes this.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

I use Proton mail when I "need" to and Nord VPN (cheap with a 3 yr subscription) anytime on WiFi and frequently on my ethernet connection at home. I have a free account with Windscribe and it works well. I use it as a backup since it's free but limited. I'm not an expert, but I do believe in heightened security measures. I like my privacy!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Unless it's life or death related, it's all B.S.!

Anybody use the Firefox VPN? Seems to work well, but won't open some sites, like the links from ebay.

I use ProtonMail myself, and it works quite fine, on VPNs all I know is that using a free one is not really doing you any good since it won't really protect you, but possibly gather your data. On the topic of paid ones, personally, been using Surfshark myself because of their low price. They also support torrenting, which I do quite often since I don't use Netflix, but a friend of mine was thinking about getting a VPN himself, so I gave him my account to try it out, and he said that everything worked smoothly with Netflix.
    graydude likes this.

I don't consider myself a cyber security expert in the technical sense, but I was challenged last year to put together and present a cyber security presentation for non-IT people. I did a lot of research for it and it went really well. Two actual cyber security experts attended the presentation and said they thought it was really good and they learned some things they didn't know.

For five years or more, I have had the full paid Bitdefender Security Suite, which is generally one of the top three such packages by any credible source that does ratings of these things. One subscription covers five devices, so basically both our phones and computers for my wife and I. It has an included VPN, which seems to work very well in all respects. I like have one integrated security system, so that I don't have to keep track of multiple systems and I know everything will work together. I have had different pieces of security software not get along with each other in the past.

BTW, I can't help thinking of all these millennials who are whining that they can't pay off their student loans because they can't get good jobs. Most of them overlook that they are a whole generation of tech-savvy people who could probably pick up cyber security skills with a bit of self study. One thing I learned preparing the presentation is that there are 1.8 million unfilled cyber security jobs and rising. Most of the new people getting into the field do not have IT degrees.
    graydude likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsored Links