Corona Virus..... - Page 2

Corona Virus.....

This is a discussion on Corona Virus..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jmf552 In 2014, in the US: Deaths due to Ebola: 2 Deaths due to the flu: 106 You're right, not the same ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Corona Virus.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    In 2014, in the US:
    Deaths due to Ebola: 2
    Deaths due to the flu: 106

You're right, not the same thing. I would think it should be actual deaths that count, not theoretical percentages. And in Kaci Hickox's case, it was politicians overruling doctors who were boots on the ground with Ebola on a medical matter. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and California instituted mandatory 21 quarantines for people who had been exposed to Ebola, even if they had no symptoms and even if they tested negative for the virus. Most states had no such restrictions and had no problems.

So the government is going to violate your rights over the chance, no evidence, that you might be dangerous. Sounds like the same rationale for a lot of gun control laws.
    Apples and oranges. Gun control laws are a legislative attempt to permanently prevent the entire population from exercising a natural right. The quarantine was about particular persons exposed to a particular disease that carried particular risks. In Hickox' case, she exhibited symptoms of the disease, and was held until it was very sure she did not carry it, a total of three days. That's well within the legitimate power of the state to protect public health. Tests and doctors can be wrong.

Some people are so worried about rights that they simply deny that the government has authority to inconvenience them in any way. They are wrong.
    matthew03 likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Who names a virus after a beer?

I suppose next is the Yuengling flu.
    I've had a case of the Schlitz a few times.
    ETXhiker, MMinSC, CDW4ME and 6 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California....just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California.
    I thought the exact same thing. Guess the homeless problem in Pelosi's district will be solved.
    ETXhiker, BigJon10125 and Sister like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I really wished they would have named it Kung Flu

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I remember in the Fall of 2014, people on this forum were all panicked about the Ebola virus. People were doing the Chicken Little routine. They were all for violating anyone's rights who might even have a chance of carrying the virus, even if there were no symptoms. Supposedly liberty-loving people here were all for imprisoning Kaci Hickox, a nurse who have bravely volunteered to treat Ebola patients in Africa and have her lose all her rights because her body temperature was slightly elevated when she returned to this country. She was an expert in Ebola, and she said she didn't have it. A major medical journal and the Doctors Without Borders organization supported her. Even after she tested negative for the virus, NJ still kept her in a quarantine tent and people on this forum were all for it. She is now suing NJ.

And of course, for all the paranoia, the Ebola thing never amounted to anything in the US.
    There was a near panic over an outbreak of "Ebola" in the US. It was even the subject of a movie.

Species: Reston ebolavirus (does not cause illness in people)
    Reported number of cases: 0
    Reported number of deaths and percentage of fatal cases: 0
    Situation

Ebola-Reston virus was introduced into a quarantine facility in Texas by monkeys imported from the Philippines. No human infections were identified.1

1 Rollin PE, Williams J, Bressler D, et al. Isolated cases of Ebola (subtype Reston) virus among quarantined non-human primates recently imported from the Philippines to the United States. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1999;179 (suppl 1):S108-S114.
    From the CDC
    ETXhiker and Sister like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    There was a near panic over an outbreak of "Ebola" in the US. It was even the subject of a movie.

From the CDC
    I read that book, "The Hot Zone" right after that happened. I was pretty sure at the time, that we would all be dead from Ebola by now.

"I plan to live forever...so far, so good." - Stephen Wright
    OldChap and Sister like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Typhoid Mary...
    Tofu Mary would probably be better considering the origins.
    LimaCharlie and Sister like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar

True story, my buddy in the beer business has seen his Corona beer brand sales hit a major slump in the last week. People be crazy!!!!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I've had a case of the Schlitz a few times.
    I've heard of an STD where "bugs" are involved.

Any new subspecies could be called Busch Bugs.

I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Moderator
    Although I'm not personally worried about this virus, I strongly suspect China is less than transparent about the extent of its spread and fatalities. China has clamped down on social media and other means of getting factual information out beyond its borders.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Although I'm not personally worried about this virus, I strongly suspect China is less than transparent about the extent of its spread and fatalities. China has clamped down on social media and other means of getting factual information out beyond its borders.
    Probably right. It seems like commie countries always lie about this kind of thing. China is racing to build hospitals right now. They have suspended taxes on some US made products like 3M face masks.

Second Chinese city has barred residents from leaving home:
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...rs-demand-city

China enforcing quarantine by drone:
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/wa...arantine-drone
    msgt/ret and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California....just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California.
    Not worried about this at all. Thousands die from the flu each year.

This is much ado about nothing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)
    Maybe this is one way our enemies are trying to manipulate the outcome of the next election. Stir the pot, leave it to the US "entertainment" news media to hype the fears. Now with the UN's WHO declaring an international emergency, there will be more polarization ahead, hinging on the current administration's actions or inactions.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)
    Instead of speculation, here's some actual facts:

Mortality of average influenza is around 0.1%, although it varies by a factor of 2-3 in either direction depending on the year.
    Mortality of the 2019-nCov is about 1-2% which is almost the same as the 1918 influenza
    Base reproductive rate (transmission factor) for average influenza is about 1.2-1.4 (meaning every person with disease will transmit it to an average of 1.2-1.4 other people)
    For 2019nCov this number is 2.8 right now.

In summary, the mortality rate is 10-20 times higher than flu, transmission rate is 2+ times higher than flu, the coronavirus is airborne, while influenza is droplet-transmissible only, and we do not have any effective antiviral medicines to treat it unlike influenza for which we now have 2.

While we shouldn't panic, there is a real danger to this infection, and if it starts spreading through the general population without decreasing mortality (most often viruses get less virulent as they evolve into a pandemic) it could potentially be a disaster. Just imagine the possibility of 50+ million infections in the US at 2% mortality...

Corona Virus.....-outbreak.png
    MMinSC, OldVet, sdprof and 3 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links