Corona Virus..... - Page 3

Corona Virus.....

This is a discussion on Corona Virus..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Corona Virus.....

OldVet, MMinSC, sdprof and 6 others like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    That's a cynical and ridiculous poster.
    By conflating the actual disease with either the press furor, or the research funding feeding frenzy that's fueled by political drive to address the said press furor, you do terrible disservice to the people who died of the disease, the science, the public opinion of science, and the world in general.
    You make light of something you don't understand, and look ridiculous doing so.
    Maybe try to be a little less like antigunners next time please.
    OldChap likes this.

^^
    Someone had to eat crappy cornflakes this morning.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Meh, I'm waiting for ankle deep sea level rise.
    OldVet and ETXhiker like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    By conflating the actual disease with either the press furor, or the research funding feeding frenzy that's fueled by political drive to address the said press furor, you do terrible disservice to the people who died of the disease, the science, the public opinion of science, and the world in general.

Thank you!
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Name:  internet.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  49.9 KB
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Instead of speculation, here's some actual facts:

Mortality of average influenza is around 0.1%, although it varies by a factor of 2-3 in either direction depending on the year.
    Mortality of the 2019-nCov is about 1-2% which is almost the same as the 1918 influenza
    Base reproductive rate (transmission factor) for average influenza is about 1.2-1.4 (meaning every person with disease will transmit it to an average of 1.2-1.4 other people)
    For 2019nCov this number is 2.8 right now.

In summary, the mortality rate is 10-20 times higher than flu, transmission rate is 2+ times higher than flu, the coronavirus is airborne, while influenza is droplet-transmissible only, and we do not have any effective antiviral medicines to treat it unlike influenza for which we now have 2.

While we shouldn't panic, there is a real danger to this infection, and if it starts spreading through the general population without decreasing mortality (most often viruses get less virulent as they evolve into a pandemic) it could potentially be a disaster. Just imagine the possibility of 50+ million infections in the US at 2% mortality...
    So far this is a chinese outbreak. Yes, it's a tragedy that it is taking a toll on their population, but so far the numbers are not that alarming.

The U.S. is NOT china. We have neither the population, nor the population density of china, nor is there much comparison in the quality of medical care that our general population has access to. We also have an order of magnitude more freedom to alter our personal behaviors and associations here in the U.S. than they have in china. When something like this occurs, if it becomes a real danger, people here have the option to voluntarily change their behaviors accordingly, and it is unlikely to maintain those numbers if it hits our shores in any significant way.

Again, I will think about being alarmed when there is something to be alarmed about. So far, not so much...
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    So was talking to my son who is on a cruise ship working the bridge since December.
    Said the ship just went on code red.
    The crew can not eat same food as the passengers, they have to be served all their food including coffee, canít get it themselves.
    No unnecessary interaction with the passengers.
    The officers are bitching because they get to eat passengers food and work out in the fancy gym, now they canít.
    He gets off the end of March.
    Says ships company is being careful as they are sailing around the Hawaiian islands only and there are a lot of orientals there.
    Also no one allowed to cruise or work on ship if your passport shows a trip to China in past 3 months.
    MMinSC, msgt/ret, OldChap and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Back in 2005 I was infected with the Bird Flu. It was a very difficult time for me. No matter where I parked my car, by the time I got to the door I had to stop and leave a deposit on someone else's windshield. Embarrassing, to say the least. I hope no one else ever has to go through that!

Very distressing discussion. I will go back to my safe space now.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    So far this is a chinese outbreak. Yes, it's a tragedy that it is taking a toll on their population, but so far the numbers are not that alarming.

The U.S. is NOT china. We have neither the population, nor the population density of china, nor is there much comparison in the quality of medical care that our general population has access to. We also have an order of magnitude more freedom to alter our personal behaviors and associations here in the U.S. than they have in china. When something like this occurs, if it becomes a real danger, people here have the option to voluntarily change their behaviors accordingly, and it is unlikely to maintain those numbers if it hits our shores in any significant way.

Again, I will think about being alarmed when there is something to be alarmed about. So far, not so much...
    One of the reasons it's less likely to become an epidemic is aggressive containment efforts. Given there are confirmed positives in the US, I guarantee you that it would spread without aggressive public health measures.
    montejames and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Who names a virus after a beer?

I suppose next is the Yuengling flu.
    I had the Busch light flu a few times in college.
    CDW4ME, ETXhiker, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Back in 2005 I was infected with the Bird Flu. It was a very difficult time for me. No matter where I parked my car, by the time I got to the door I had to stop and leave a deposit on someone else's windshield. Embarrassing, to say the least. I hope no one else ever has to go through that!

Very distressing discussion. I will go back to my safe space now.
    On the bright side, you found the New York Times useful for a couple weeks.
    ETXhiker, OldChap and gasmitty like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Now the infected count is over 20,000 in China.
    Researchers have also found some proof that the virus can be spread by contact with fecal material from an infected person.
    Well I guess this is the end for California.
    FYI for those of you in Rio Linda fecal material is poop.

Also in today's news Princess Cruise ship the Diamond Princess was just put on quarantine off the coast of japan.
    Passenger tested positive, now 3K are stuck on the ship for who know how long.
    This thing is going to be getting out of control very soon.
    OldChap and matthew03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California...Ö.just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California.
    Michael Yon posted that Doctors have found it can be transmitted though feces now also, the virus stays active much longer that way than airborne.
    msgt/ret, forester58 and Sister like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links