Corona Virus.....

Corona Virus.....

This is a discussion on Corona Virus..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California....just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Corona Virus.....

Corona Virus.....

Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California....just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)
    The current strain of flu has killed far more than this Mexican-beer virus. As for the stock market drop, the virus is just an excuse to reap some profits and buy back at a lower price.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I remember in the Fall of 2014, people on this forum were all panicked about the Ebola virus. People were doing the Chicken Little routine. They were all for violating anyone's rights who might even have a chance of carrying the virus, even if there were no symptoms. Supposedly liberty-loving people here were all for imprisoning Kaci Hickox, a nurse who have bravely volunteered to treat Ebola patients in Africa and have her lose all her rights because her body temperature was slightly elevated when she returned to this country. She was an expert in Ebola, and she said she didn't have it. A major medical journal and the Doctors Without Borders organization supported her. Even after she tested negative for the virus, NJ still kept her in a quarantine tent and people on this forum were all for it. She is now suing NJ.

And of course, for all the paranoia, the Ebola thing never amounted to anything in the US.
    Last edited by jmf552; January 31st, 2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I finally got my flu vaccine a little over a week ago. Made my arm sore for a few days. Turning into a wimp in my old age. I hope this one is not what they are saying it might be. May still a little early yet to be sure medically.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

They way I see the news is that it hasn't reached pandemic proportions yet but what is has done is get out of control much quicker than anything they have seen up to this point. It has already, or soon will, surpass the SARS count. But I feel the reason they are concerned is not because of the actual numbers, but because of the % per capita. I'm not putting a number up because it's changed fairly often recently. The outbreak itself isn't terrible, but the number it kills is.

FWIW- I'm not letting it ruin my sleep.

Until it starts to reach the lethality of the Spanish Flu of 1918 I am not going to worry much about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
    Arejay, Wolf357, Osprey and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

On the Columbia River roughly eight miles from the ocean is the Knaptton Cove Heritage Center. It's what left of the quarantine station and it closed sometime in the 1930's. Every ship was inspected for disease before being allowed up river to Portland. If infected were found that's where you ended up. I imagine every port of entry in the Republic had something similar.Photo' Past and Present

They must not do a thorough job of teaching history because at one time infectious diseases were very much a part and fact of life in this country for a majority of our history. It doesn't seem like it's remembered . An example would be that not only was the Continental Army and G. Washington fighting the British, they were also battling a small pox outbreak. A bad bad one.

People weren't so much about hurting feelings or appearances as they were about containing a deadly outbreak. Serious business.
    I can still remember the fear and concern caused by Polio and other infectious diseases in my childhood. We had one neighborhood kid with Polio.

We live in a remarkable time and have benefited from great advances in the sciences.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I remember in the Fall of 2014, people on this forum were all panicked about the Ebola virus. People were doing the Chicken Little routine. They were all for violating anyone's rights who might even have a chance of carrying the virus, even if there were no symptoms. Supposedly liberty-loving people here were all for imprisoning Kaci Hickox, a nurse who have bravely volunteered to treat Ebola patients in Africa and have her lose all her rights because her body temperature was slightly elevated when she returned to this country. She was an expert in Ebola, and she said she didn't have it. A major medical journal and the Doctors Without Borders organization supported her. Even after she tested negative for the virus, NJ still kept her in a quarantine tent and people on this forum were all for it. She is now suing NJ.

And of course, for all the paranoia, the Ebola thing never amounted to anything in the US.
    She was wrong then. She is wrong now. Thankfully she was healthy. Quarantine over a virus that severe isn't stripping her rights. She had due process and was made whole. She was new the risks of her profession.

Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a very different conversation than a flu.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post

Wuhan Coronavirus mortality rate: 2%
    Ebola mortality rate: 90%

Not quite the same thing.
    APX-9M, Wolf357, msgt/ret and 7 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post

Old age mortality rate: 100%......How do we stop it before it kills us all.......

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post

In 2014, in the US:
    Deaths due to Ebola: 2
    Deaths due to the flu: 106

You're right, not the same thing. I would think it should be actual deaths that count, not theoretical percentages. And in Kaci Hickox's case, it was politicians overruling doctors who were boots on the ground with Ebola on a medical matter. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and California instituted mandatory 21 quarantines for people who had been exposed to Ebola, even if they had no symptoms and even if they tested negative for the virus. Most states had no such restrictions and had no problems.

So the government is going to violate your rights over the chance, no evidence, that you might be dangerous. Sounds like the same rationale for a lot of gun control laws.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Who names a virus after a beer?

I suppose next is the Yuengling flu.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Typhoid Mary...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links