Not for political discussion, but I do have a question..... - Page 3

Not for political discussion, but I do have a question.....

This is a discussion on Not for political discussion, but I do have a question..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Frodebro With maturity comes wisdom and awareness... .....not with everyone, all I got with age was tenaciously annoying, gotta do what you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Not for political discussion, but I do have a question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    With maturity comes wisdom and awareness...
    .....not with everyone, all I got with age was tenaciously annoying, gotta do what you do best
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Lead Moderator
    Possibly the biggest problem is SO many people fixate on one thing, and if you look at our rules almost all of those singular subjects are what we end up giving points for!

As for my humble opinion, 99% of our elected officials, regardless of Party affiliation, aren't worth the powder to blow them away.
    Osprey, msgt/ret, Wolf357 and 3 others like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I enjoy reenacting at buckskinner rendezvous'. There is an unspoken rule at rendezvous that's the same as many other places- religion and politics will not be discussed around the fire. As I've said many times, I don't follow rules very good. My camp, my conversations; don't like it, leave.

Nevertheless, I do try to abide with their camp rules, so I don't visit their camps. It was a very simple decision to me. I won't bring up politics/religion just because. But if it fit's the conversation I will. As such one day the lady that got us into skinning was in my camp, we had known her for over a decade. She mentioned Catholicism during her conversation about something else. She was Catholic. I'm not.

I grew up in a predominately Catholic neighborhood with most of my neighborhood friends attending the Catholic school. I went to the public school on the other side of town. She opened the door, I entered. My camp, my rules.

We didn't talk much after that night. Years went by and we still camped near each other at rendezvous'. I stayed close with her son since I watched him grow into a fine young man. She died a few year ago, still not wanting to talk to me. 30 years camping together and one talk about religion.

Did that cause me to change my camp rules? No. Any topic is open for discussion. I won't hide from verbal discomfort. I know how to disagree without it becoming personal. Everything out of my mouth is opinion unless it is about something I know very well, which doesn't leave me much to talk about except my past experiences.
    msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.

No one wants to go for the easy answer?

Because it is an election year.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I enjoy reenacting at buckskinner rendezvous'. There is an unspoken rule at rendezvous that's the same as many other places- religion and politics will not be discussed around the fire. As I've said many times, I don't follow rules very good. My camp, my conversations; don't like it, leave.

Nevertheless, I do try to abide with their camp rules, so I don't visit their camps. It was a very simple decision to me. I won't bring up politics/religion just because. But if it fit's the conversation I will. As such one day the lady that got us into skinning was in my camp, we had known her for over a decade. She mentioned Catholicism during her conversation about something else. She was Catholic. I'm not.

I grew up in a predominately Catholic neighborhood with most of my neighborhood friends attending the Catholic school. I went to the public school on the other side of town. She opened the door, I entered. My camp, my rules.

We didn't talk much after that night. Years went by and we still camped near each other at rendezvous'. I stayed close with her son since I watched him grow into a fine young man. She died a few year ago, still not wanting to talk to me. 30 years camping together and one talk about religion.

Did that cause me to change my camp rules? No. Any topic is open for discussion. I won't hide from verbal discomfort. I know how to disagree without it becoming personal. Everything out of my mouth is opinion unless it is about something I know very well, which doesn't leave me much to talk about except my past experiences.
    So at the rendezvous back in the day I can just see the old buckskinners say around the fire.
    Please don’t talk about that, it is too polarizing.
    I bet there were some lively “discussions “ around the fire as they passed around old barley corn
    I would’ve honored to sit around your fire sir
    oldIthink likes this.

A few times a year I retreat to my hunting property for full week excursions. There is no internet there, and no phone service. Totally alone. Imagine a week without mention of anything political ! Same thing can be accomplished at home by pulling the plug on the electronics - might even discover family you didn't know existed. Political saturation is self imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A few times a year I retreat to my hunting property for full week excursions. There is no internet there, and no phone service. Totally alone. Imagine a week without mention of anything political ! Same thing can be accomplished at home by pulling the plug on the electronics - might even discover family you didn't know existed. Political saturation is self imposed.
    Need company?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    No one wants to go for the easy answer?

Because it is an election year.
    Election year is lasting 2-4 years now. I recommend putting a cap--say 10 million bucks--on total candidate campaign funds, banning super funds, and limiting campaigning to six months prior to election day.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Stating an opinion about anything on Facebook just makes it easier for them to target you. Thank you AI.

It’s hard to tear up a tweet.

And, in my youth, free speech meant going down to the corner, climbing upon an orange crate and politely yelling my opinions to anyone within earshot (real or imaginary). The listeners, of course, were free to get their own crate and join me.

I think it's time to pull the PLUG on the entire US POWER GRID for a year or so, and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oldIthink likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    I think it's time to pull the PLUG on the entire US POWER GRID for a year or so, and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let me fill up a few more gas cans first.

"...a young man is not a proper hearer of lectures on political science; for he is inexperienced in the actions that occur in life, but its discussions start from these and are about these; and, further, since he tends to follow his passions, his study will be vain and unprofitable, because the end aimed at is not knowledge but action. And it makes no difference whether he is young in years or youthful in character; the defect does not depend on time, but on his living, and pursuing each successive object, as passion directs." - Aristotle
    demanic, mmb617 and ETXhiker like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Our nation is extremely divided these days and it is quite apparent with politics. This is a Presidential election year so of course, it will be highlighted in various mediums. That should come as no surprise.
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Real simple the Progressives were emboldened during the Obama years and when their chosen one lost to the Orange Bully they threw caution to the winds and have openly started advocating their true positions. And with the Trump effect Conservatives have found their ummm voice and are standing up to the Left! And the Left and their cohorts in the MSM don't like it and so you have Trump Derangement Syndrome which leads to actions similar to those of Verbal Rabies.
    OD*, maxwell97 and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    .....not with everyone, all I got with age was tenaciously annoying, gotta do what you do best
    So we've noticed...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links