Thought too long and got it wrong!

This is a discussion on Thought too long and got it wrong! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was sitting in the food court at a mall waiting for my wife to exit the restroom and she wasn't feeling well so I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Thought too long and got it wrong!

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

I was sitting in the food court at a mall waiting for my wife to exit the restroom and she wasn't feeling well so I sat for a long while. I had a bag of shirts that we had bought and I decided to lay it over my phone so nobody would be tempted to run by and make a grab for it.

She finally came out and I grabbed the bag and we headed towards our truck in the parking lot. When we got to the truck I realized that I had left my phone on that table and I ran back in to the food court.

There were six young guys about 15-16 years old sitting at the table where the phone had been. I told them the phone had been on that table and did they have it. PHONE like WHAT'S A PHONE. WE DON"T HAVE YOUR PHONE.

I told them that my wife was going to call it and then I would know who has it. The kid closest to where the phone had been says. "I don't have your phone and you can search me." They were all saying we didn't see a phone.

Then I heard the ring tone -- "BIG IRON ON MY HIP" Look down and one kid has his foot on top of it hiding it but he knew that I knew where the sound came from.

ALRIGHT GIVE ME MY PHONE. "Funny how the phone appeared as soon as my wife called it." "YOU LITTLE DIRTBAGS." I said that loud enough that a lot of people heard it.

I was lucky that I noticed and ran back inside quickly enough that they didn't have time to shut it off. Punching in a code to unlock the phone is a pain sometimes but after this mine has a number code to unlock it.

Anybody want to bet on how honest a teen is in a food court these days?

Today a lady ahead of me left her wallet with her phone and credit cards showing at the check out at a store. I yelled "Hey that lady lost her wallet and I ran and caught her." I know she was thanking me but I had to hurry back to the checkout and pay for my items. The clerk said what a nice thing I did and I told her I nearly lost my phone yesterday but some kids gave it back.

That's what pockets are for.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    GpTom, TangoHotel and Texas Red like this.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

That's why I carry mine in a holster.
    airslot, oldIthink, GpTom and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I have pockets that I don't trust so I will look at a holster. I just ordered one with the swivel belt clip. Hope that it will swivel when I sit down.
    Last edited by GpTom; February 8th, 2020 at 08:34 AM.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I found a credit card on the floor in the restaurant at the lodge w here we ski last week. Immediately turned it in to the cashier.
    You are your own first responder.

I found a $100 bill in a pocket of a jacket I hadn't worn in years.

I gave it to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I found a $100 bill in a pocket of a jacket I hadn't worn in years.

I gave it to my wife.
    You gave her your old jacket?
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

"Big Iron....."

I luv it...!

I found a gift card for Texas Roadhouse in the hallway next to my office.

I ate good that day.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I found a credit card on the floor in the restaurant at the lodge w here we ski last week. Immediately turned it in to the cashier.
    Who promptly maxed out the card.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My wife and I were flying to into Eagle, CO for a vacation and she had her purse under the seat in front of her. Three teenagers were sitting in the row in front of us. During the flight, one of them bent down, reached under the seat, got in my wife' purse and took the cash out of her wallet. She saw him do it, but panicked and didn't say anything. She whispered it in my ear. I approached the fight attendants and told them. They told the pilot.

The police were waiting when we landed. They questioned the kids, who denied it. The cops told us they couldn't search the kids just on my wife's report and had to let them go. We also learned they were local rich kids, one of whom's dad was a prominent local lawyer. They probably had a good laugh over it. I had to spend the vacation cheering my wife up so the whole experience wasn't ruined. You have to watch yourself, all the time.

BTW, I have one of those swivel holsters for my phone, but I find my pocket is much more secure. It is a quality item ("Lifeproof") but the release can catch on things and drop the phone. In my pocket, it ain't goin' nowhere.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    I have a somewhat remote section of my property that is in the shape of a rough triangle and is about an acre in area. It is heavily wooded with old growth timber. It has deep ravines on two sides and gives way to a gently sloping meadow on the third side. I use the plot as a sort of tree nursery, occasionally harvesting small, naturally propagated, oaks, sycamore, and black walnut trees for transplanting elsewhere on my property.

This past spring I went out there to look for a couple of small maple trees and discovered that someone had used a machete or large knife to cut down a few saplings. By the slash marks it was apparent that whoever did it had not just cut the trees down, they actually slashed the trees repeatedly and then cut the trunk down a few inches at a time until the remaining stem was about two feet tall. My only neighbor is a single mom with two boys aged 12 and 14. They live about a half mile away. The boys are good kids who profess an aspiration to serve in the military, maybe as a career choice. They are always in the woods.

When I saw the devastated trees I was really angry but did not react immediately. I thought about all of the things I did as a kid that had to have infuriated my neighbors.

About a week after finding the trees I saw the older of the two boys walking up the creek behind my house and went out to intercept him. I told him "someone" had cut down some trees on my property and I asked if he saw anyone doing it. He asked if cutting down the trees was a problem (these boys are very polite; they always address me as "sir"; they are very comfortable around me and my wife). I explained that it was a serious problem because I harvested trees from the plot described and some of the ones I wanted to use had been destroyed. I told him that when I saw the wanton destruction of the trees I was really angry. He only paused for a second or two before saying he had cut down the trees doing "ninja tricks" and apologized sincerely for damaging my property. It would have been very easy to deny any knowledge and I would never have been the wiser. As a 14 year old boy confronted with the same situation I can not say that I would have confessed my guilt to an angry adult.

Obviously, I told him not to cut down ANY trees on my property which lead to a nice conversation on land stewardship and respect. I complimented him on being honest and thanked him for being forthright; we talked about honesty and taking responsibility. These two teen-aged boys make pretty good neighbors who can teach me as I hope I can teach them.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    First mistake. Going to a mall, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Over the years Gramps has left his wallet on a counter more than once. It was at the service desk waiting for him when he made a flying trip back to whatever store, but it is frightening.

One time many years ago, on vacation from Ohio to Florida, Gramps left his credit card at a restaurant in GA and didn't realize it until we were another state away. Fortunately, when he phoned, they had the card and said they would either mail it to us or hold it until we were on our way back home. We have been very blessed so far with honest people finding our "stuff."

I keep my own credit and ID cards in a hard case inside my purse, and the process of taking it out, getting out the card, keeping it open until the card is returned to me and putting the thing back in my purse helps a lot in keeping my stuff where it should be. I also have a old style men's bi-fold wallet which I carry in open mode in one of the purse's inner pockets. It very rarely comes out of the purse because I rarely use cash. Yeah, I'm a woman. I carry an awful lot of stuff in my purse (but not a gun - that's on my body).
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I found a 20 dollar gift card to Bass pro laying in the parking lot. Bought a box of Ammo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links