Small town bank robbery

Small town bank robbery

This is a discussion on Small town bank robbery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened a long time ago now but it did happen and you won't see any big stories in the news about it. It must ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By GpTom
  • 1 Post By xXxHeavy
  • 1 Post By xXxHeavy
  • 1 Post By Wishoot
  • 2 Post By TSKnight
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By OneGunTX
  • 1 Post By retired badge 1

Thread: Small town bank robbery

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

Small town bank robbery

This happened a long time ago now but it did happen and you won't see any big stories in the news about it.
    It must have looked a lot like a scene out of a movie the day that the guys robbed the bank in the next town south of here. Witnesses saw them get into the car so they abandoned the car at a strip mall and carjacked a guy and made him drive. The old guys car wouldn't go very fast as they made their way up the highway.

They had him stop at the park in our town where they jumped out and ran up through the middle of the next block. Police had them about surrounded by now and one cop was making his way along the street on foot. He carried a shotgun loaded with buckshot. He knew that these guys were armed.

About the time that one of the robbers got to the last house on the end of the block he knew he was trapped and ran out from behind a tree. The cop with the shotgun fired and the buckshot made pencil sized holes in the siding of the house behind the robber. They captured the robbers in the alley.

I saw that cop later and I asked him about that warning shot. He said "Warning shot hell-- the guy hit a low spot in the yard about the time I fired the shotgun."

My wife and kids were taking groceries from the car into the house when she saw the officer with the shotgun making his way along the street and so she hurried the kids into the house. I can only guess that this happened in the late 70s because the kids graduated from high school in 1984.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

So, this happens all over the country and rarely makes the news....had a few in our surrounding towns the last few years.
    GpTom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    So, this happens all over the country and rarely makes the news....had a few in our surrounding towns the last few years.
    If the house across the street from you gets hit with buckshot it makes it a little more memorable to you.

I can see that happening......we had one close by a few back and one of the FBI Agents was shot and killed by a fellow officer, and a 2 day man hunt for one of the escaped perps.......it happens.
    GpTom likes this.

I live in a small town. We had a bank robbery here about 3 years ago. They still haven't caught the guy.
    GpTom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    There was a bank robbery this fall in Iowa where a young woman was killed.
    That young woman grew up less than 5 miles from my home.

Any time any place. Stay frosty. Thugs go where there is something they want. With today's mobile society, nowhere is safe.
    xXxHeavy and GpTom like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Kinda reminds me of the movie Hell or High Water when half the town opened up on the robbers in a small Texas town
    RETSUPT99, msgt/ret and GpTom like this.

So, the moral of the story is that evil is everywhere and everyone needs to be prepared to defend themselves!
    GpTom likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    I have been retired from law enforcement for a long time. Back in the day the common wisdom was that a bank robbery was solved within 72 hours or it would never be solved, and 92% were solved. Probably not a very good business plan, in my opinion.
    GpTom likes this.

Sponsored Links