How well could you live on $40,000 in Charleston, or Charlotte? - Page 3

How well could you live on $40,000 in Charleston, or Charlotte?

This is a discussion on How well could you live on $40,000 in Charleston, or Charlotte? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dangerranger One of the things I worry about is when they are advertising nationally for entry level jobs, and paying a good ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: How well could you live on $40,000 in Charleston, or Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    One of the things I worry about is when they are advertising nationally for entry level jobs, and paying a good wage, I'm looking for the reason they can't hire locally?
    Our oldest was recruited for a tech job in NY city in the Trade Center. On paper it paid a lot! But he would have had to live within 1/2 hour of the towers. And Apt rents started at $75,000 a year. And there are other reasons we are glad he didn't take that job! DR

One of our other sons had to move 800 miles away to get a job he had trained for. There are four schools that graduate certified candidates. One of them was in our town. There were too many qualified applicants for the available jobs.
    Hopefully the reason they are advertising nationally is that they don't have locals that are qualified not that it's nearly impossible to keep good people there! DR

I wouldn't worry about Charleston searching nationwide for firefighters. My former next door neighbor was happy. I usually end up at the firehouse down the street at least twice a month. This is because I have a two year old and when we are out riding his balance bike, we stop in if the guys are outside. They all seem happy and the same people since we have been stopping by.

There are a couple of reasons for the nationwide search.

First is the nationwide historically low unemployment rate. There are not enough people to fill the jobs in this country right now. Areas with high rates of economic growth are even more affected by the national numbers. Just the new Mercedes and Volvo plants are 6,000 jobs combined. Those are two big ones but all the smaller business growth adds up to much more. We need people in all trades. The port is booming and the harbor is being dredged finally for the deeper ships so that will be even more growth. Tourism is booming. Construction, you name it.

The second reason is also growth related. All the businesses locating here and people relocating here has caused a tremendous growth in housing and commercial construction. This leads to a need for more firemen. Can't keep building more and more houses with the same staffing levels of firemen.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want, I can ask some of the guys. There is a firehouse 2 blocks from my house.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

What do you mean by ďadvertising nationallyĒ? Was the posting directed specifically at people in California, or was it just on a firefighter board on the internet that can be seen by people who arenít local?
    We get the government we deserve.

Article about the construction boom in Charleston and how it has caused a backlog of fire inspections. Just to illustrate one of the reasons we are hiring here.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...3b5c503ef.html
    dangerranger likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    What do you mean by ďadvertising nationallyĒ? Was the posting directed specifically at people in California, or was it just on a firefighter board on the internet that can be seen by people who arenít local?
    The adds are listed as Local, statewide or national.
    Havok likes this.

No way on Charlotte for that amount unless they added another $100,000 to that! Lived there and went to HS there, very dangerous city. I have family there, they were anti gun, they all are getting them now.

Charleston is nice. Has he looked into Wilmington NC? Raleigh NC is nice esp for the younger (20-40j folks, good schools if he has kids.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Article about the construction boom in Charleston and how it has caused a backlog of fire inspections. Just to illustrate one of the reasons we are hiring here.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...3b5c503ef.html
    Thank you for that. It tells a lot. They are hiring because of growth. Not because they can't keep people! DR
    MMinSC and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    No way on Charlotte for that amount unless they added another $100,000 to that! Lived there and went to HS there, very dangerous city. I have family there, they were anti gun, they all are getting them now.

Charleston is nice. Has he looked into Wilmington NC? Raleigh NC is nice esp for the younger (20-40j folks, good schools if he has kids.
    He has also applied at Asheville. But they are only filling one vacancy. DR

I like Asheville! Food for thought, the Obamas bought land there. - they liked it too! Liberal city, pretty sure a sanctuary city one of the few in NC.

that being said, I could live in Asheville or Charleston....just never Charlotte.
    dangerranger likes this.
    ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The adds are listed as Local, statewide or national.
    Interesting. I havenít seen that before but Iíve only really browsed a couple places.
    dangerranger likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Interesting. I havenít seen that before but Iíve only really browsed a couple places.
    He found these listings on his Union website. DR
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I like Asheville! Food for thought, the Obamas bought land there. - they liked it too! Liberal city, pretty sure a sanctuary city one of the few in NC.

that being said, I could live in Asheville or Charleston....just never Charlotte.
    You'll have to wear rainbow-colored clothes for Asheville.
    MMinSC and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You'll have to wear rainbow-colored clothes for Asheville.
    Charleston too! (Sry @MMinSC not picking). We had quite a few of our rainbow neighbors flock from Myrtle Beach to Charleston in the last 10 years...not that their is anything wrong with that...
    MMinSC likes this.
    ❤️

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links