New Uniform and New Caliber

This is a discussion on New Uniform and New Caliber within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I made a career change and will be working for a sheriff's office not too far from where I currently live. After years of bad ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: New Uniform and New Caliber

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar

I made a career change and will be working for a sheriff's office not too far from where I currently live.

After years of bad mouthing the 40 S&W, and then opening up to the caliber, I will be trading in the M&P 40 for an XD 45. I have fired a few Springfields over the years and don't really have much of an opinion. For the 45 ACP I could go either way.

What's your take on the XD?

flh
    Congratulations on the career change/choice
    DownInTheDark likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the new job. I hope it work out really well for you. I'm sure you will do quite well with the new sidearm!

I know nothing about those XD's in any caliber except that one of our new women shooters had one in 9mm and it was all wrong for her, mostly because no way could she rack the slide. But that's a totally different situation. (She got A Shield EZ for herself and loves it.)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Congrats!
    We get the government we deserve.

Congrats on the new job. I'm sure the new gun will be fine. I would've feel a bit under gunned with that. Although, I've only shot the 9mm version. I thought it was a fine gun. Just didn't quite work for me, because of a previous injury to my right hand thumb (game keepers fracture). I think you'll grow to like the round as much as, if not more than the 40.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

VIP Member
    Youíll get some anti-Springfield responses to this Iíd expect. Putting that aside, I like the line up. As a 1911 guy, the grip safety is an easy fit for me. All Iíve owned is a couple of XDs, in 45, and they been rock steady.

I think the 40 is a fine caliber, itís just not my preferred choice. The 40 will get things accomplished. 45 is my preferred so Iím happy youíre moving to the 230 club.

Congratulations on the new gig.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I would look at the FNX 45 before I made a final decision. It has a 15 round capacity, and proven to be reliable.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

One of my shooting buddies had an XD 45.... Thousands of trouble free rounds.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    You didn't say if that was a personal choice or if th XD will be department issue.

Either way you should be good. I've never owned the XD except in .40. I did have an XDm .45 and I liked it a lot better than the G30 I previously had.

Congrats and good luck.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    You didn't say if that was a personal choice or if th XD will be department issue.

Either way you should be good. I've never owned the XD except in .40. I did have an XDm .45 and I liked it a lot better than the G30 I previously had.

Congrats and good luck.
    We are a pretty big department for Eastern Montana with 6 deputies; so they provide the firearms. If it was my choice I would carry a Glock 31, but I have no opinion on anything for the first year.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    After testing a few firearms, I settled on the XDs or the 9mm Shield. I ended up getting the Shield because it was the first one I got a good deal on. No experience with it, but liked the way it shot and felt in my hand.
    DownInTheDark and 5lima30ret like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Congrats on joining the many on "Irish Welfare" My take on the XD's is I don't care for the goofy grip safety. Great choice IMO on the caliber! Good luck and be safe!
    DownInTheDark and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Congratulations!

I like the 45 ACP, it is a great round. However, I have only fired one XD before, and yes it did happen to be in 45 ACP.

The XD has a great reputation for reliability and I did find it to be accurate and easy to shoot. What I didn't care for was the trigger, I found it top be "spongie". It just didn't feel right to me, of course this was one of the earlier models and the triggers on newer models may have changed over the years. Also coming from the 1911, it is hard to find something else with a "good" trigger
    DownInTheDark and baren like this.

Some may have political reasons not to like Springfield. I carried a XDS-9 for years without a hiccup.
    Congrats on the new gig :-)
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations, sounds like a great new job! Close to home is always good.

I love a .45, just make sure it goes bang.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links