American Flags Now Must Be Made in the USA According to New Senate Bill

This is a discussion on American Flags Now Must Be Made in the USA According to New Senate Bill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is appropriate and long overdue. American Flags Now Must Be Made in the USA According to New Senate Bill In the 21st century in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: American Flags Now Must Be Made in the USA According to New Senate Bill

This is appropriate and long overdue.

In the 21st century in an incredibly globalized economic landscape, it might not come as a surprise that one of the great symbols of America, its stars and stripes, is, as often as not, manufactured in China. But there are changes happening.

A sacred emblem of the republic, particularly important to the U.S. military, tasked with defending the rights of its people, the story of making the flag has a special place in the country’s heart.

It was designed in 1776 by Philadelphia upholsterer Betsy Ross, who had provided uniforms, tents, and flags for the Continental Army. This design had only 13 stars, arranged in a circle, representing the 13 original states that declared independence from Great Britain, on a blue ground, with alternating red and white stripes.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/americ...p61wZh2sEZXIak
    flh, Rockymonster, Havok and 6 others like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

VIP Member
    A bill like this should never have been needed or thought of. Every flag that’s ever flown at my house, and that’s everyday for decades, has been made in the US.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I've always bought my flags at Home Depot or Lowes. Always assumed they were made in USA. My bad.
    msgt/ret, Rockymonster and Sister like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

America, she’s back!
    hogdaddy and G26Raven like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

That's a big "Hell Yea" To the bill ; )
    H/D
    airslot and Sister like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    The bill referenced does not require that all US flags be produced in the United States. If promulgated (which is a long shot) it would only require that government agencies purchase US Flags manufactured in the United States when using taxpayer's dollars. There are currently several manufacturers in the United States that make US flags in US factories.

The bill originated with Sherrod Brown (D) Ohio. Brown gets an F rating from the NRA for his voting record and sponsorship of anti-gun legislation. Despite his apparent support for US manufacturers embedded in this proposed legislation, he has held elected office since graduating from Yale in 1975 and, to my knowledge, has never held a job in the private sector. If given his way he would also require that the flags be made by union workers who earn a minimum wage of $15.00 per hour and work no more than 8 hours per day or forty hours per week and rely on government for health care, transportation, and retirement.

I prefer a smaller, less intrusive, brand of government. Give me the choice of where my US flags come from.

Hell, even the tags on things stating "Made In America" are probably made in China. I really don't care if American industry cannot figure out how to sell its own products to its own country.
    DownInTheDark likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Usually buy my flags from flagstoreUSA. All made here in America.
    I have a few flags that are special to me that I had flown at different historical places.
    US flag flown on the USS Constitution in honor of my dad’s service in the navy.
    A Texas flag flown over the State Capitol in Austin and at the Alamo.
    Hopefully it will become easier to by made in the USA again

Flags sold in the state of Minnesota must be US made, per state law.
    G26Raven and Rockymonster like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I always buy my flags from Annin.com. They have been making American flags since 1847. Great quality products.---Sturgis
    G26Raven, Rockymonster and Tstone like this.
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    A noble effort, however, as stated, it pertains to “agencies”, not the general public. From a practical standpoint, I don’t see how the general public could ever be required to buy flags only made in the US. It’s an available “choice”, and one I will choose every time. Let’s just not kid ourselves into thinking this will ever be a requirement.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Great for flags, but everything else can be made in China.
    Thanks politicians for this BOLD move to protect our way of life.
    Losers, all of them.
    Psycho41 and Rockymonster like this.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Flags sold in the state of Minnesota must be US made, per state law.
    The Minnesota statute is an excellent example of how career politicians placate and pander to citizens who are swayed by sound bites and headlines.

The Minnesota flag law was a one line proclamation added to the 2007 state budget bill during the waning hours of the bill's negotiation. The flag law language does not include any enforcement or penalty provisions. Violations are unclassified under Minnesota state law. In the 13 years since its adoption there has not been a single case brought forth alleging non-compliance. The bill only applies to flags sold at retail merchants located in Minnesota. It has no effect on purchases from Amazon or other online flag providers. A wry irony is that the law's inclusion in the unrelated budget bill was sponsored by Representative Tom Anzelc, a proud member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (yes...that's the actual name of the party) who touted his accomplishment with the statement, "Real patriotism also includes valuing the work of American workers."

Meanwhile in the gopher state...

Karen Nyberg, an accomplished engineer and astronaut from Parkers Prairie, Minnesota, had to rely on the Russian Soyuz program to transport her to the International Space Station and bring her home again safely because America no longer has the capability to transport our own astronauts into space. While one can not LEGALLY buy a non-American made flag at a Minnesota Walmart for the protection of American workers, NASA can pay Russia approximately $75 million taxpayer dollars every time they transport one of our astronauts to or from the ISS. Thanks, Vladimir!
    Psycho41 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Hell, even the tags on things stating "Made In America" are probably made in China. I really don't care if American industry cannot figure out how to sell its own products to its own country.
    I wonder where the "Made in USA" tags are made?

What some people don't understand is that trade makes both participants richer (when gov't is not mucking with the process). We can buy some goods and services from other countries cheaper than what we can produce ourselves. By the same token, for goods and services where we have a comparative advantage (e.g. technology & medical), we can produce more of those goods (and profit) than what we would obtain if just producing for our own country. And economies of scale allow us to produce those goods and services cheaper than if we just produced for our country. The problem is that the US found great prosperity in manufacturing after WWII because the decimation of manufacturing capability in Europe gave us a significant comparative advantage. That is no longer the case, and we are struggling to protect that industry to our own detriment.
    Rockymonster and msgt/ret like this.

I find it ironic and enjoy the fact that a "communist" country has to stoop so low and profit from making American flags.
    What are they ? Some kind of ""Capitalist Pig's" ?
    But I still won't buy a flag from them. Thankfully I don't need a law to do that.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links