Your BBQ rig? - Page 2

Your BBQ rig?

This is a discussion on Your BBQ rig? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by FAS1 I can't compete with what's available around here with my little grill, so I just go to The Salt Lick. Salt ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Your BBQ rig?

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I can't compete with what's available around here with my little grill, so I just go to The Salt Lick.

Salt Lick is very good. I like the ambiance, nice venue. Pit cooked rather than smoker cooked
    Only not a big fan of their mustard based sauce.
    They have some nice wines in the little wine shed they have there
    OD*, FAS1, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker.
    Nothing fancy, but it works.
    Anything will work if you can keep the heat constant for a long time.
    For me it is wood only. Mesquite or hickory. Pecan or apple if I am cooking poultry
    Walmart ran a clearance on their OK joe smokers last year for really low prices. All the Facebook bbq groups went crazy over them. I picked one up to take to work and wanted to buy another for myself just to have in case I ever wanted to use it but only ended up getting one. I doubt there is a better offset for the price of these.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I BBQ year round and it has to be wood charcoal on cast iron grates for me. No gas, no briquets, no starter fluids.
    Iíve thought about getting rid of my two outdoor cookers and getting a really nice offset to use for everything, but propane is so convenient for quick cooks.
    OD*, ETXhiker, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I am a vegetarian....Meat Ewwww!
    Somebody GET A ROPE!

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I can't compete with what's available around here with my little grill, so I just go to The Salt Lick.

Damn, now I'm REALLY hungry!
    FAS1, ETXhiker, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Damn, now I'm REALLY hungry!
    Yup, there is something terribly wrong with vegetarians.
    I know what I am having for lunch today.
    A chopped brisket sandwich, and for our veggie brothers some deep fried okra

the salt lick is ok,mine is better

these are from a couple of different BBQ competitions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akoda View Post
    the salt lick is ok,mine is better

these are from a couple of different BBQ competitions

Nice smoke ring!

YEP!

Name:  bq-5c2987ae33e56.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  15.4 KB

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker.
    Nothing fancy, but it works.
    Anything will work if you can keep the heat constant for a long time.
    For me it is wood only. Mesquite or hickory. Pecan or apple if I am cooking poultry
    Yep, me too. I love the way it keeps a steady temperature, compared to the smoker I used to have. This thread makes me want to smoke a brisket, but we have below freezing temperatures coming this weekend. Think I'll wait for a little more Spring-like temps.
    scottync, msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Do my grilling at Longhorn and Smokey Bones....Not a cooker here.
    scottync, Old Man, craze and 1 others like this.

There is nothing like getting up a 0400 setting up a comfy chair and side table.
    Fire up the smoker. Pour a dram of your favorite whisky and watch to sun come up.
    The smell of a wood burning smoker is intoxicating.
    Feeding a fire also feeds my soul.
    Havok, OD*, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

There is nothing like getting up a 0400 setting up a comfy chair and side table.
    Fire up the smoker. Pour a dram of your favorite whisky and watch to sun come up.
    The smell of a wood burning smoker is intoxicating.
    Feeding a fire also feeds my soul.
    amen, BBQ the verb! good dog laying next to you ...

KILTED COWBOY likes this.

I'd swear I can smell that cooking...
    msgt/ret, Risasi, FAS1 and 3 others like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

I wanted to get a Green Egg several year ago, but being the cheap Jack Benny I am I have been using a Weber kettle grill for about five years now. For a low and slow cook I'll use the "snake" method. I just did 31 lbs of beef brisket for a party. Took about 27 hours total for cook time at 225 degrees in two phases, with another two hours of rest for each brisket. Foiled and then wrapped in towels to hold the heat in and let 'em simmer. Then I rapid cool them to 40F or under using ice, and pull them back out for chow day and they just need to be re-warmed and sliced. Honestly, that 31 lbs was just a bit too much to handle.

Each snake build I can get about 17 hours of cook time at about 200-225F, or as short as 8-10 hours if I have the heat up around 350F, like if I'm doing a turkey or a duck or something. They also now make electronic dampening systems for the kettles, but I just play with the top damper until I get the temp where I want it.

Ironically, I like using a Weber kettle for up to about twenty pounds of meat that needs to be cooked at a lower temp. Whole chickens, turkey, duck/goose. Large beef cuts like brisket, large roast, corned beef, Chicken breast and bratwurst, and of course low and slow BBQ like ribs or pulled pork or hams. But for burgers and steaks I'd rather have a fast and hot propane grill. I'll still do steaks and burgers (and fish), usually getting the temp hot and fast at about 450-600F or so.

The largest BBQ a buddy and I have done a time or two for a couple of church weddings was just renting a large rig from one of the local rental places around town. Five or so bags of charcoal and eight hours of cook time once we get to temp and we'd be swimming in a couple hundred pounds of meat.

Probably the most primitive "BBQ" rig has been on the Rez cooking mutton or pork. Being out in the sticks with no power or running water. An oil drum cut in half or rock ring and rock back face to reflect the heat back into the cooking area. Using mainly juniper and oak wood. Cooking off of a spit or maybe a grate. Again, low and slow for a few hours with semi-indirect heat.

Distinguished Member
    I tried an offset wood smoker about 20 years ago, but it was impossible to maintain the temperature because it's so windy here. Been using a Weber kettle for about 35 years. It's big enough for 2 10# butts, briskets or chuck roast. I usually smoke 6 slabs of ribs at a time. Very easy to keep the temp around 250. I've got a propane grill for camping and an electric grill for direct grilling in the garage when the weather is nasty.
    ETXhiker, Old Man, Risasi and 2 others like this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links