One of the most truthful articles I have read

This is a discussion on One of the most truthful articles I have read within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; https://medium.com/@erikrittenberry/...u-9e7e68135f4a I see this daily in my life. People buried in consumer debt and never satisfied with all the crap that keeps them there. We ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: One of the most truthful articles I have read

https://medium.com/@erikrittenberry/...u-9e7e68135f4a

I see this daily in my life. People buried in consumer debt and never satisfied with all the crap that keeps them there. We are constantly trying to buy contentment through vehicles,the newest smarter smart phone, the latest greatest gun or gun gadget. Sound familiar? Does to me. All my stuff is older and paid for and its going to stay that way. I have one wife, one dog, one truck, one bicycle, one RV, one house, one lawnmower and one rifle for hunting, one shotgun for hunting and one for self defense. What the hell am I doing with 10 handguns?
    Constantly buying "improvements" to them instead of just getting really good at shooting them. Holster for this, holster for that. Ammo for this,ammo for that. Special belt for this one and another special belt for that one. This grip will improve my shooting. This ammo will be more deadly. Night sights, lasers, red dots, grips improvements, mag extensions, stance changes, ad infinitum.
    Sometimes I wish I just had the life of a mountain man with just my Bowie knife and my Kentucky rifle and the rest relied on my skills and my determination to survive. Something you can't buy.

I am going to make some changes.

Only gun I shot today was my old model 10 revolver. Its a fun and deadly accurate firearm to shoot. I bring that up because it was a blast and it does everything a handgun really needs to do, the rest is up to me. Carrying more rounds, carrying bigger, faster rounds is not going to buy me skill or accuracy or even necessarily superior firepower.

I don't know, maybe I just need a break from this stuff for a bit.
    All you guys and gals are terrific so don't take it personally if I am not around as much for a spell.

VIP Member
    I just got back from a month off the board. It was a much-needed break.
    G-man*, NECCdude, SatCong and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Some of us like variety. If that offends you, maybe you need a break.

Last time I checked it still said "Life Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".
    Some of us are happy with 2 trucks, 2 lawn mowers, etc.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MillennialNorth; February 16th, 2020 at 01:05 PM.

I like stuff, but I donít understand people being up to their eyeballs in debt so they can have stuff that they canít really afford.
    We get the government we deserve.

I live in a world where the government that taxes me has unlimited credit, yet I am supposed to "live within my means".
    Seriously.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Havok, SWsouthpaw, Arejay and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I just got back from a month off the board. It was a much-needed break.
    For you and me both!
    Havok, Mike1956, Poorly and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have an extensive collection of guns and coins and with the exception of one gun all were bought with cash. I do still have a loan on my truck and house but I have a Corvette, 240Z and 350Z that were bought with cash. Right now I have one credit card and my truck to pay off but I then everything goes to the mortgage which should be paid in a few years and I do not need to go on a beans and rice diet to finish getting out of debt.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Chris, I think I have been where you are at a time or two myself. Self evaluation and making those adjustments to your life as you need to are all part of the process.

I have finally arrived there in a few ways; I have had so many cars and trucks over the years, and for the last 3 years I have made due with a small compact car that Iím content with. Same with motorcycles, and am now enjoying a 250 duel sport that is cheap to own and operate.

I no longer subscribe to TV, cable or otherwise.

Guns; thatís always been my vice. Eventually I will scale back more. 10 years ago I had over a dozen shotguns, almost 20 rifles, 9 revolvers and 7 autos.

Now Iím down to one shotgun, 5 rifles ( not counting the three 22ís), and 8 handguns ( 3 Glocks, 4 1911ís and 1 380).

We all do what we feel compelled to do by our personal convictions.

In the future, I will downsize the house, and simplify even more. Sometimes it just takes a while for a person to reach certain places in life I suppose.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    I must not be a very good American. The only debt I've ever had was house payments. EXCEPT one time when I bought a car "on time" because I was earning 2% higher interest on a CD that would have bought the car if I had cashed in that CD...........so I made payments and also made money. That was back when Jimmy Carter was president.

Do we have more stuff than we need? Yes we do but none of it cost us one penny in 'Interest.' And neither of us has ever had a high salary either. I was born during the Great Depression and as I grew up, Daddy taught me well about money management. I cannot say the same for my own children, though.
    msgt/ret, DZUS, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I must not be a very good American. The only debt I've ever had was house payments. EXCEPT one time when I bought a car "on time" because I was earning 2% higher interest on a CD that would have bought the car if I had cashed in that CD...........so I made payments and also made money. That was back when Jimmy Carter was president.

Do we have more stuff than we need? Yes we do but none of it cost us one penny in 'Interest.' And neither of us has ever had a high salary either. I was born during the Great Depression and as I grew up, Daddy taught me well about money management. I cannot say the same for my own children, though.
    We zero our debt out at the end of each month. House and cars are paid for. We live responsibly, and our "kids" and their fams do the very same.

That said, I feel no guilt about having some nice possessions. I would not want anyone, or any government telling me what I do, and do not, need.

msgt/ret and ShooterGranny like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I see musicians trying to buy their way to better playing with the latest gear. The same with home computer recording gear. Of course we all know about the pressure to buy the latest gun. We live in a market economy that uses Dr. Freud's insights to drive our consumerism.

I sometimes find myself longing for the simpler times when all I had was my guitar and amp, a small car, and a small apartment with a bed, small TV, lamp and one bean bag chair. Ah!
    Tstone and G-man* like this.
    ďPropaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.Ē
    -- Edward Bernays

I read the article. Meh. It came across as an overly long, unoriginal, unfocused rant. Sure some of the stuff he says is true about some people, but you can get that level of insight from a horoscope. Who is this guy to make assumptions about how "everybody" lives? He is a millennial whose occupation is...poet. And IMHO he is not a very good one. We should be impressed? Has he served his country? Has he raised a family? Has he lived more than a few decades? I think real wisdom comes from having some miles on you.

We all look to find balance in our lives. But it's up to each and every one of us to decide what that balance is for us.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I see musicians trying to buy their way to better playing with the latest gear. The same with home computer recording gear. Of course we all know about the pressure to buy the latest gun. We live in a market economy that uses Dr. Freud's insights to drive our consumerism.

I sometimes find myself longing for the simpler times when all I had was my guitar and amp, a small car, and a small apartment with a bed, small TV, lamp and one bean bag chair. Ah!
    I can relate to your statement. I feel the same way. But knowing what we know, we could easily go back to that simple life, but we don't. Why is that?

As for collecting guitars, guns or whatever, some of that is hobby, and there is nothing wrong with that. If having a lot of guitars or guns makes you happy and you can afford it, I say go for it. I haven't chosen to do that, but I feel the attraction. If someone wants to collect and can afford it, more power to them.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

He who dies with the most toys wins! But seriously, Forester58, it looks like Utah is about to legalize polygamy again, so you might want to consider moving here! So, having two wives, or more, would be legal again. Think of the possibilities!

"A bill that would change polygamy from a felony to an infraction passed unanimously Monday in the Utah Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee and is set now to go to the full Senate."

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.Xkk0li2ZNfg
    PEF likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Smart people use debt in their personal lives only for housing, a vehicle, education and if itís life or death, healthcare.

I only have a mortgage and have paid half of it off in four years and plan to pay the rest in the next three. I have multiple credit cards but pay off each one every month.

My wife and I buy a lot of stuff, some needed, most not. But we both make good money and can afford it.

As for guns, Iíve not bought a new one in over a year. I have several Iíve not shot in years, so why add to the collection?
    msgt/ret, ShooterGranny and Havok like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links