Daytona 500 - Page 2

Daytona 500

This is a discussion on Daytona 500 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 5lima30ret I worked so many of those races over the years I could care less if I ever went to another! (Working ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Daytona 500

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array high pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Georgia for now
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I worked so many of those races over the years I could care less if I ever went to another! (Working them definitely takes the fun out of it!)

    *edit: actually the same holds true with Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Springbreak, etc
    I used to have to "work" the races at Talladega. Unfortunately, I had to host the corporate tent for DeWalt. It was really a drag having to sit around the tent, watching the races on a big screen TV in case anyone came out for something to eat or drink. The bad part was my staff and I did have to be at the track 3 hours before the race to make sure the high-rollers got their pit tours and just enough to drink that they didn't object when their salesmen were writing those big orders.

    Yeah, that was pretty tough duty.

    Once the race started, we were pretty much done. The best part was I got to close the tent about 20 laps from the end, leave the clean-up to the catering staff, and beat feet off the grounds by the time the race actually ended. I was usually a couple miles away by the time anyone else got to their cars.
    msgt/ret, 5lima30ret and Tstone like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

    - Anon

  2. #17
    VIP Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Posts
    5,708
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I used to have to "work" the races at Talladega. Unfortunately, I had to host the corporate tent for DeWalt. It was really a drag having to sit around the tent, watching the races on a big screen TV in case anyone came out for something to eat or drink. The bad part was my staff and I did have to be at the track 3 hours before the race to make sure the high-rollers got their pit tours and just enough to drink that they didn't object when their salesmen were writing those big orders.

    Yeah, that was pretty tough duty.

    Once the race started, we were pretty much done. The best part was I got to close the tent about 20 laps from the end, leave the clean-up to the catering staff, and beat feet off the grounds by the time the race actually ended. I was usually a couple miles away by the time anyone else got to their cars.
    Unfortunately the first couple of years I worked the races it was a traffic post Some assignemnts were somewhat better than others. Working the Winston Tower suites wasn't near as bad as a traffic post! The infield RV paddock where the 1/2 million$$$$$ rigs would come into the infield was a "better" post! There was nothing good about spring break or BCR IMO! One year we had (4) cops & one police horse shot in one weekend of BCR! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array high pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Georgia for now
    Posts
    6,649
    2020 Daytona 500 now postponed until tomorrow.

    First time in 54 years.
    5lima30ret and msgt/ret like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

    - Anon

  4. #19
    New Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    2020 Daytona 500 now postponed until tomorrow.

    First time in 54 years.

    That worked out great for me, I got to watch my Houston Roughnecks beat the St. Louis Battlehawks 28 - 24 (XFL- These guys don't kneel for the National Anthem)

    As far as the race goes, my guy Kevin Harvick sits in 5th, and 6 of the top 10 are Fords. I'm glad I ain't gotta work tomorrow.
    airslot likes this.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    32,846
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    2020 Daytona 500 now postponed until tomorrow.

    First time in 54 years.
    It's Trump's fault, you betcha!
    TSKnight likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  6. #21
    Member Array Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    That worked out great for me, I got to watch my Houston Roughnecks beat the St. Louis Battlehawks 28 - 24 (XFL- These guys don't kneel for the National Anthem)

    As far as the race goes, my guy Kevin Harvick sits in 5th, and 6 of the top 10 are Fords. I'm glad I ain't gotta work tomorrow.
    They can't play football either. I have seen better talent in Texas High School 6A games

  7. #22
    Member Array Any Day Now's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's Trump's fault, you betcha!
    The race was postponed not from rain but from all the liberal tears because Trump did an flyby in AirForce1 then paced a lap in the Beast.

    So yeah - it really was his fault
    "All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years...As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide. ― Abraham Lincoln

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I wouldn't have a muscle/sports car that wasn't manual shift. Takes all the fun out of it.

    My first car was a 72 Plymouth Duster 318 cu in (5.2 L V8), 3 speed manual shift with 12" glasspacks (sounded amazing). It was very much like the one in this picture. Sure wish I still had it. Loved that car.

    Love watching Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel.
    Bought my first car in July 1964; a new '64 Corvair Spyder. Had gone back and forth between a '64 Pontiac GTO* and the Spyder and wound up with the Spyder. Spyders were turbocharged Corvairs and I won two trophies with it at a drag strip. Best time was 15.44 at 89.79 MPH. Looking back, I was an idiot for not getting that '64 GTO. Then in 1966, I ordered and received four weeks and two days later a 1966 Chevelle SS396/360. Had that car for 5 1/2 years and had a ball with it. It was quick. I only lost one street race with it.

    I have only owned one personal driving machine in my life with an automatic transmission. And the only reason I had that car was because I thought I was going to tow a boat with it. Wound up towing with my wife's car. I know there will probably come a day when I can no longer find driving machines to my liking with manual transmissions. Don't look forward to that day. I would bet Ford is never going to discontinue manuals in their Mustangs... at least I hope not. Back in 1990, their were rumors that Ford was going to model Mustangs on the Probe platform. Can you imagine a FWD Mustang?? I can't. That would spell the end of a fine car.


    * In truth, there was never a 1964 Pontiac GTO. Nor was there ever a 1965 Pontiac GTO, either. The first year of the Pontiac GTO was 1966. In 1964 and 1965, the GTO was an option package available for the Pontiac Tempest LeMans. It wasn't until 1966 that Pontiac made the GTO a separate and distinct model.
    msgt/ret, 5lima30ret and MMinSC like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,032
    Here's my 1966 SS396/360 Chevelle. I still have my carbon copy of the order form.


    Attachment 314286
    MMinSC likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,495
    I got Cole Trickle

  11. #26
    Member Array Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    168
    I could never get into a bunch of cars going around in an oval for a couple of hours. But I did enjoy watching cars going in a straight line for a 1/4 mile ! Go figure. I always liked drag racing.
    SouthernBoyVA likes this.

  12. #27
    Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Bought my first car in July 1964; a new '64 Corvair Spyder. Had gone back and forth between a '64 Pontiac GTO* and the Spyder and wound up with the Spyder. Spyders were turbocharged Corvairs and I won two trophies with it at a drag strip. Best time was 15.44 at 89.79 MPH. Looking back, I was an idiot for not getting that '64 GTO. Then in 1966, I ordered and received four weeks and two days later a 1966 Chevelle SS396/360. Had that car for 5 1/2 years and had a ball with it. It was quick. I only lost one street race with it.

    I have only owned one personal driving machine in my life with an automatic transmission. And the only reason I had that car was because I thought I was going to tow a boat with it. Wound up towing with my wife's car. I know there will probably come a day when I can no longer find driving machines to my liking with manual transmissions. Don't look forward to that day. I would bet Ford is never going to discontinue manuals in their Mustangs... at least I hope not. Back in 1990, their were rumors that Ford was going to model Mustangs on the Probe platform. Can you imagine a FWD Mustang?? I can't. That would spell the end of a fine car.


    * In truth, there was never a 1964 Pontiac GTO. Nor was there ever a 1965 Pontiac GTO, either. The first year of the Pontiac GTO was 1966. In 1964 and 1965, the GTO was an option package available for the Pontiac Tempest LeMans. It wasn't until 1966 that Pontiac made the GTO a separate and distinct model.
    There was a FWD Fox chassis in the '80's called the EXP. Looked nice, but that was about as far as it went.
    Found a few pics, but my Kindle won't let me post them here. Looks like it was made from '81-'89 with quite a few different body styles.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I could never get into a bunch of cars going around in an oval for a couple of hours. But I did enjoy watching cars going in a straight line for a 1/4 mile ! Go figure. I always liked drag racing.
    At a drag meet, you will probably see several hundred races during a day of time trials and eliminations. Back in the mid-60's, that mostly meant stock, gassers, sportsman, super stock, and some exhibition runs. Here's two super stockers running at my favorite track back then, Aquasco Speedway in Maryland, on a Sunday in May 1965.
    Attachment 314288

    Two stockers going at it.
    Attachment 314290

    Finally a gasser's launch. This gasser was built and sponsored by a local speed shop in Falls Church, VA (S&S Speed).
    Attachment 314292

    I took these as slides that day when I was 19 and a few years ago, copied them to my PC. Think about it. Almost 55 years ago.
    msgt/ret, Osprey and airslot like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    They can't play football either. I have seen better talent in Texas High School 6A games
    Id rather watch people with less talent who stand for the anthem that more talented people who dont.
    SouthernBoyVA likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  15. #30
    Member Array Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Id rather watch people with less talent who stand for the anthem that more talented people who dont.
    I am just curious since I do not know the answer. How many people in the NFL took a knee in the last year?

    ETA: I just looked it up: 2019 only three players took a knee. That is 0.17% of all NFL players. Just a factoid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •