Daytona 500

Daytona 500

This is a discussion on Daytona 500 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Who's gonna win the race today? I got Kevin Harvick. I drive a Mustang when I'm not driving my (Ram) truck, so I'll be rooting ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Daytona 500

Daytona 500

Who's gonna win the race today?
    I got Kevin Harvick.

I drive a Mustang when I'm not driving my (Ram) truck, so I'll be rooting for the Fords.

I'll also be rooting for Kyle Busch to have engine failure late in the race. I love to hate him. (I secretly wish he drove a Ford, cause dang he's good)
    HotBrass45, OldChap and scottync like this.

Daytona 500-limo_daytona.jpg
    OD*, OldVet, msgt/ret and 15 others like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limo_daytona.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	314188
    Try bumping the Beast out of the way!

I think the Busch Brothers are about the best drivers overall out there. Not that I particularly like them, but great drivers they are.

Oh, and I'll go with Jimmy Johnson for old times sake.

Daytona 500 trivia: The 1960 500 had like 73 starting vehicles. Thirty-seven crashed on the first lap. The wreck is almost hilarious. They must have been driving with their eyes closed.

Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not a big NASCAR fan, but a fan of Motorsports in general. I would love to see "The Beast" take a lap. The President is a master at marketing to his base.

Gotta root for Team Penske since my son is an engineer with them. He writes the program that analyzes all the data they gather and creates some type of AI. It will actually tell them the odds of when the crashes occur and when they should pit, etc. based on all the past and current data the program crunches. They really use it to it's full extent in their Indycar and IMSA programs.
    airslot, LimaCharlie and darbo like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I think the Busch Brothers are about the best drivers overall out there. Not that I particularly like them, but great drivers they are.

Oh, and I'll go with Jimmy Johnson for old times sake.

Daytona 500 trivia: The 1960 500 had like 73 starting vehicles. Thirty-seven crashed on the first lap. The wreck is almost hilarious. They must have been driving with their eyes closed.

That must be how demolition derby got started. Lol.

As for Jimmy Johnson, since he's retiring (from full time racing) this year, I wouldn't be mad if he won today. With 7 championships, he's been a hell of a driver.
    OldVet, airslot and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I would love to see "The Beast" take a lap. The President is a master at marketing to his base.

That would be cool to see it take a lap. Even cooler if it was the pace car. Ha!

I bet Trump don't get booed today.
    FAS1, msgt/ret and airslot like this.

I worked so many of those races over the years I could care less if I ever went to another! (Working them definitely takes the fun out of it!)

*edit: actually the same holds true with Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Springbreak, etc
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; February 16th, 2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I worked so many of those races over the years I could care less if I ever went to another! (Working them definitely takes the fun out of it!)

I almost always would rather be at home watching any sporting event on my big screen HD television.

The only exceptions would be Monster Energy Supercross and golf. In watching golf you can follow your favorite player (or group) and always have a front row seat. And get some exercise as an added benefit.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Jimmie Johnson in the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet. I drive a Corvette, so I will be rooting for a Chevrolet.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

flh
    I'll have the race on, it will be background noise, when I hear the announcers get excited, that's when I'll take a look .
    5lima30ret and Sister like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I got Kevin Harvick.

I drive a Mustang when I'm not driving my (Ram) truck, so I'll be rooting for the Fords.

I'll also be rooting for Kyle Busch to have engine failure late in the race. I love to hate him. (I secretly wish he drove a Ford, cause dang he's good)
    My current driving machine is a 2016 Audi S4 6MT. According to what I was told and had heard, my car, which I ordered to my specifications, was part of the last production run with manual transmissions. No way I would consider an automatic in a driving machine unless I could no longer get a manual. I'm dying to have a Stage 1+ tune installed on this thing.

That said, my first choice started out to be a Mustang GT since I used to own a 1988 Mustang LX 302 (can't bring myself to use the term "liters"). I love their Coyote engine. But the Audi seemed to have more throttle response so I went with that. I generally pull for the Fords as well but I also love the small block push rod Chevy stove bolt engine.

NASCAR is not my first love of motor sports. That would be drag racing. Got hooked on that when I was a teenager and still love it to this day. Not so much Top Fuel or Funny Cars or even pro-stockers. I am more into real cars with which I can identify. The 60's were the glory days for drag racing, especially the mid-60's. American supercars (they were not called muscle cars back then) ruled the quarter mile and it was so much fun in those days.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I prefer the IMSA Rolex 24 at Daytona over the NASCAR Daytona 500.
    jkshelgore likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I didn’t see any kneeling during the National Anthem or God Bless America. I didn’t hear any booing when Trump was introduced, and in fact, I heard a chant of “4 more years”.

Big difference from those other professional sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I got Kevin Harvick.

My current driving machine is a 2016 Audi S4 6MT. According to what I was told and had heard, my car, which I ordered to my specifications, was part of the last production run with manual transmissions. No way I would consider an automatic in a driving machine unless I could no longer get a manual. I'm dying to have a Stage 1+ tune installed on this thing.

That said, my first choice started out to be a Mustang GT since I used to own a 1988 Mustang LX 302 (can't bring myself to use the term "liters"). I love their Coyote engine. But the Audi seemed to have more throttle response so I went with that. I generally pull for the Fords as well but I also love the small block push rod Chevy stove bolt engine.

NASCAR is not my first love of motor sports. That would be drag racing. Got hooked on that when I was a teenager and still love it to this day. Not so much Top Fuel or Funny Cars or even pro-stockers. I am more into real cars with which I can identify. The 60's were the glory days for drag racing, especially the mid-60's. American supercars (they were not called muscle cars back then) ruled the quarter mile and it was so much fun in those days.

I wouldn't have a muscle/sports car that wasn't manual shift. Takes all the fun out of it.

My first car was a 72 Plymouth Duster 318 cu in (5.2 L V8), 3 speed manual shift with 12" glasspacks (sounded amazing). It was very much like the one in this picture. Sure wish I still had it. Loved that car.

Love watching Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Daytona 500-screenshot_20200216-140648_gallery_1581883624051.jpg  

msgt/ret and Any Day Now like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I didn’t see any kneeling during the National Anthem or God Bless America. I didn’t hear any booing when Trump was introduced, and in fact, I heard a chant of “4 more years”.

Big difference from those other professional sports.

Gotta love it.

Donald is pacing the field. Awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links