Goodbye Facial Recognition

This is a discussion on Goodbye Facial Recognition within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am always amazed at the possibilities for using lasers for things other than pointing out bad guys. It has long been known that lasers ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Goodbye Facial Recognition

I am always amazed at the possibilities for using lasers for things other than pointing out bad guys. It has long been known that lasers could listen to sounds inside a building by shining the beam on window glass. Now it seems they are looking to replace facial recognition (which has always been problematical) with something better.

The U.S. military could soon spot you in a crowd not by your face or your gait, but by your unique heartbeat rhythm. The Pentagon recently developed and tested a laser that can scan and distinguish the pitter-patter of your heart from up to 650 feet (200 meters) away.
    https://www.foxnews.com/tech/us-mili...s-of-feet-away

Of course this technology only works on people who actually have a heart!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

And yet another way I can our liberties being abused in the future.

Cool technology though :)
    OldChap and Arejay like this.

I Object to being lasered without my consent!
    OldChap, sdprof and G26Raven like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Just carry smoke flares, they drive lasers crazy.
    OldChap and Tstone like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    It will not work on liberals, they have no heart.
    Bad Bob, OldChap, Risasi and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Just carry smoke flares, they drive lasers crazy.
    Until they arrest you for obstruction of justice/LE/investigation
    OldChap and Psycho41 like this.

wear a laser reflective T shirt.
    muzzleblast, OldChap and Osprey like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

There are some benefits to the thing. No more fingerprinting - indeed law enforcement is starting to deploy hand-held fingerprint scanners already.

Smoke flares may not work unless they operate in the infrared spectrum. You'd have to blind (or distract) them like you would a Sidewinder missile.

The only good I can see is making positive identification of terrorists without getting close to them - provided you have a good database to start with.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    There are some benefits to the thing. No more fingerprinting - indeed law enforcement is starting to deploy hand-held fingerprint scanners already.

Smoke flares may not work unless they operate in the infrared spectrum. You'd have to blind (or distract) them like you would a Sidewinder missile.

The only good I can see is making positive identification of terrorists without getting close to them - provided you have a good database to start with.
    Which I have seen they already have abused. There was a person being detained that refused to ID which is legal in TX. They handcuffed him and ran the scanner on him anyway to ID him without his consent.

I can see this technology being abused easily. They just have it embedded in the bodycam and "boom" instant ID for everyone they encounter.

My friends, this will not end well.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.

If I had a heart, I'd just stop it and show them who's smarter!
    Bad Bob and montejames like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    wear a laser reflective T shirt.
    That would actually increase the range the device would be effective. It uses the doppler effect, which means it needs to have the laser beam reflected back to the device.

FWIW, this is just a new application of a technology that has been around for decades. Laser microphones, used by LE and intel agencies, reflect a beam off a window in a building and enable the user to hear conversations in the room. When I worked black projects in the defense industry, we actually had vibration units on our office windows. We couldn't hear or feel the vibration, but it was enough that a laser microphone would only pick up the vibration, not our conversations.

All this new device is doing is picking up your heartbeat the same way and creating a heartbeat biometric. If you wanted to foil it, you would wear some sort of shirt that absorbed or scattered the laser energy or created some kind of pulse that obscured your heartbeat.
    Last edited by jmf552; February 18th, 2020 at 02:26 AM.
    Risasi and Bad Bob like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Which I have seen they already have abused. There was a person being detained that refused to ID which is legal in TX. They handcuffed him and ran the scanner on him anyway to ID him without his consent.

I can see this technology being abused easily. They just have it embedded in the bodycam and "boom" instant ID for everyone they encounter.

My friends, this will not end well.
    It is not illegal to ID one without their consent. You cannot be arrested, anymore for refusing to produce ID. Big difference.
    maxwell97 likes this.

It is not illegal to ID one without their consent. You cannot be arrested, anymore for refusing to produce ID. Big difference.
    Are you saying it is OK for a person to get handcuffed "because" they refused to ID and for the Government to forcibly fingerprint you to get your identification? Because that is exactly what happened to this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Are you saying it is OK for a person to get handcuffed "because" they refused to ID and for the Government to forcibly fingerprint you to get your identification? Because that is exactly what happened to this guy.
    What was he detained for?

What was he detained for?
    It does not matter. In TX you do not have to produce ID unless you are arrested. He got put into handcuffs because he refused to ID.

He was released after they ran his ID to see if he was wanted for anything.

If you think this is OK for any situation where one is detained and is not legally required to ID themselves, then we live in a different kind of America.
    darbo likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links