Take pity on me - I suffer from the Diderot effect

This is a discussion on Take pity on me - I suffer from the Diderot effect within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had never heard of the Diderot effect before today, but it makes perfect sense to me. I have been reading a book entitled, Atomic ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Take pity on me - I suffer from the Diderot effect

I had never heard of the Diderot effect before today, but it makes perfect sense to me. I have been reading a book entitled, Atomic Habits, that deals with how to make good habits more easily and make those habits more effective. In the book he mentions the French philosopher Diderot, who having acquired a bit of money, bought himself a robe and then realized that he needed other parts of his wardrobe to match that robe. Each purchase lead to another.

In the firearms world, we buy a pistol, but then we need spare magazines, a holster, magazine carriers, perhaps better sights, etc. If it's a new caliber, you need ammunition and if you reload you need new dies. The list goes on and on.

Currently, I am acquiring the bits and pieces to set up a Tavor TS12 exactly the way I want it. The shotgun comes with nothing - no sights, no bag, etc. So I am getting all the bits and pieces that I want to have to set it up exactly the way I want it - sling, sling mounts, red dot optic, iron sights, a carrying case, a flashlight and mount, etc.

Is it crazy? Probably yes, but I want to learn how to run a tactical shotgun since that is the only significant hole left in my long gun collection of arms.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I had never heard of the Diderot effect before today, but it makes perfect sense to me. I have been reading a book entitled, Atomic Habits, that deals with how to make good habits more easily and make those habits more effective. In the book he mentions the French philosopher Diderot, who having acquired a bit of money, bought himself a robe and then realized that he needed other parts of his wardrobe to match that robe. Each purchase lead to another.

In the firearms world, we buy a pistol, but then we need spare magazines, a holster, magazine carriers, perhaps better sights, etc. If it's a new caliber, you need ammunition and if you reload you need new dies. The list goes on and on.

Currently, I am acquiring the bits and pieces to set up a Tavor TS12 exactly the way I want it. The shotgun comes with nothing - no sights, no bag, etc. So I am getting all the bits and pieces that I want to have to set it up exactly the way I want it - sling, sling mounts, red dot optic, iron sights, a carrying case, a flashlight and mount, etc.

Is it crazy? Probably yes, but I want to learn how to run a tactical shotgun since that is the only significant hole left in my long gun collection of arms.
    The Diderot effect, huh? Now I have a clinical term to explain the stuff I buy, so it isn't my fault. Cool.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    My wife wants to know if there is a ten step program to cure me of this affliction.
    This affects me in almost every hobby I pursue not just shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    My wife wants to know if there is a ten step program to cure me of this affliction.
    This affects me in almost every hobby I pursue not just shooting.
    Well, I can tell you from personal experience it's especially bad if you scuba dive, hunt, ski, or do photography.

First there was the cold water scuba gear, dry suit, spearfishing gear, underwater photo gear, underwater video gear, the cases to carry everything, the boat, the radar for the boat, GPS, fathometer, trailer, etc. Then there was the warm water diving suit, boots, gloves, and fins....

Likewise for all the other activities....
    Mike Tyson

I have the same affliction.

You can run with the Big Dogs or stay on the porch.

Go big or go home.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

At least I know I am in good company, airslot, Kilted Cowboy, and ETXhiker!
    Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    That probably explains the 23 guitars, six amps, stands, picks, books, cables, tuners...
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

VIP Member
    Well, I can tell you from personal experience it's especially bad if you scuba dive, hunt, ski, or do photography.

First there was the cold water scuba gear, dry suit, spearfishing gear, underwater photo gear, underwater video gear, the cases to carry everything, the boat, the radar for the boat, GPS, fathometer, trailer, etc. Then there was the warm water diving suit, boots, gloves, and fins....

Likewise for all the other activities....
    Oh yes, don't get me started of sailing and all the stuff I "needed"
    Right now I have gotten back into model rockets. I have a room filled with building and finishing supplies and rocket motors

Pity for you? From me?

That's worth two more.
    G26Raven, OldChap, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Pity for you? From me?
    That's worth two more.
    Does this mean I won't get a Christmas card this year????
    OldChap likes this.
    Mike Tyson

Does this mean I won't get a Christmas card this year????
    Possibly...
    OldChap and G26Raven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There is a solution that drastically reduces the effect...RETIRE!

I'm building a Glock 43 from scratch using a PF9SS frame (Why? Who knows!). I can assemble it one piece at a time by saving up a little, each week.

There is one bit of advice I might offer. I discussed the problem with Mrs OldChap and the propensity of the female of the species to do the same thing with shoes and other things.

The doctor told me I'd be able to walk without a splint in a week or two.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

It is the worst when you acquire a new barbecue handgun. Your belt and holster have to match your boots and all of them have to accessorize your pants, shirt, and hat.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Diderot, who having acquired a bit of money, bought himself a robe and then realized that he needed other parts of his wardrobe to match that robe. Each purchase lead to another.
    And that also explains why so many people who win lotteries wind up broke in a few years, or less.

The rest of us get into the "I just need a couple more things to go with this" without coming into extra money.

Me too: Gramps still tells people about when I got two new throw pillows for the living room sofa and wound up redecorating the entire living room "to go with" those new throw pillows.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Remember, happiness comes from within.

I say that with a wry smile myself, having horses, guns and a wife.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links