What I have been through the years

This is a discussion on What I have been through the years within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What I went through the years was rough at first.Growing up,I didn't grow up with my bio dad in my life.He left while my mom ...

Like Tree41Likes
  • 10 Post By KoreyA
  • 2 Post By ETXhiker
  • 3 Post By KoreyA
  • 3 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 4 Post By KoreyA
  • 3 Post By oldIthink
  • 4 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 6 Post By KoreyA
  • 3 Post By Redbert31
  • 3 Post By KoreyA

Thread: What I have been through the years

What I went through the years was rough at first.Growing up,I didn't grow up with my bio dad in my life.He left while my mom was pregnant with me,it was after finding he was going to have a daughter.Wanted a son,told my mom he would leave her if it was a girl.I remember it all growing up,mom worked 3 jobs to pay the rent for the apartment we were living in,put food on the table and clothes on my back.I remember she drove a 1975 Ford LTD that was a money pit.Had support from her family.I admit my mom has tried and proved it to me she raising me on her own with support from her family.We thought it was going to get worse and both were wrong.That is when my step dad came into our lives,this was before my step dad and mom started dating.One time I needed a pair of tennis shoes,mom couldn't afford them.He stepped in and told her he would buy them,she was amazed he did this for me.He was divorced at the time raising my step brother on his own.Finally one day,he started dating her and also helped her out too.He found her a better car getting rid of that LTD taking it to the junkyard.Including helping her find a better job and we moved in with him 7 months after they started dating.It got better too,this is when my step dad and I started having a great bond together more.Taught me good things and one was shooting guns.Included in the garage,he saw I was that girl whom was not into dolls and other girls like to do.Saw I loved getting my hands dirty and greasy.Worked on cars,he made me into a Mopar fanatic teaching me good.Still has the car we worked on together,a 1972 Dodge Dart.He drove truck and still does,this is where my love of semi trucks and cars,trucks started.I have a great relationship with his son too getting to know me well.In 1997,he helped me make my biggest decision in my life.I was heading in the wrong direction in life and this this needed to change.Hanging around the wrong people doing drugs,drinking was not for me.I learned he did his time in the Marines,asked him for advice on it.Said it maybe worth it to me,changed his life around and he was like me.Told me have the recruiter come and did.He was amazed the day I decided to go to the recruiting office with my step brother coming with me.Was proud of both of us when we came home after enlisting.He was right and sees 10 years in the Marines changed my life around.Good thing is my bio dad is back in my life,we reunited in 2018 and he regreted leaving my mom while she was pregnant with me.I have forgiven him and we have been doing great making up for lost time.My life is an open book and I remind people not to take life for granted.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Sounds like you have overcome a lot of trials and tribulations and gotten your life together. Bravo! Welcome to the forum.
    airslot and Redbert31 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I have,Mom and I credit my step dad
    ETXhiker, airslot and Redbert31 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Congratulations! You've done well! Welcome to DC too - we're all still learning here.
    Redbert31, ETXhiker and airslot like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

My step dad rescued us.I was there when he proposed to my mom and I begged her to say yes.I have given back,I adopted 3 brothers whom are 18,16 and 14 now including my 15 year old daughter.They have been in my situation and learned from me.Plus my step brother's 18 year old following the footsteps,going to enlist into the Marines in June

All it takes is one person to change everything in one's life. Assuming you let them in. It sounds like you had your head on straight throughout it all. There's no shame in asking for help. I've seen way to much pride cause folks to lose it all because they wouldn't ask for help. I guess it's because of different perspectives.

Congratulations!

PS: Asking for help is different than expecting help. Unexpected help is the best kind. Pay that forward and good things happen eventually if you watch.
    ETXhiker, Redbert31 and airslot like this.

Wow! So many times life experiences like yours crush peoples spirit and ruin them forever. Certainly chance (like your step-dad) plays a part in things, but your mother showed you what grit and determination are and you personally took the initiative to make positive changes and for that you are to be commended!
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Wow! So many times life experiences like yours crush peoples spirit and ruin them forever. Certainly chance (like your step-dad) plays a part in things, but your mother showed you what grit and determination are and you personally took the initiative to make positive changes and for that you are to be commended!
    She worked hard and never gave up raising me.Knew I didn't want to end up in jail and my good friend Debra was not lucky whom has learned her lesson the hard way.Cleaned up her life learning prison life was hard,10 years for vehicle manslaughter.Drove drunk one night killing a loving grandmother taking responsibility for her action.I am proud of her for cleaning up her life after she got out and taking responsibility for what she did.Supported her during the cleaning up her life after getting out.So far,has been doing great and credits me for supporting her

God bless you, Korey A So happy to hear that you had supportive folks in your life and that even under tough circumstances you made good decisions and paid it forward, helping make other people's lives turn out better! You should be very proud of yourself and how you turned your life, your adopted sons, and your friend's world into a better place. You're so welcome here in the forum and I'm happy to know you! Linda

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    airslot, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbert31 View Post
    God bless you, Korey A So happy to hear that you had supportive folks in your life and that even under tough circumstances you made good decisions and paid it forward, helping make other people's lives turn out better! You should be very proud of yourself and how you turned your life, your adopted sons, and your friend's world into a better place. You're so welcome here in the forum and I'm happy to know you! Linda

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Debra,she has to live what she did too and was lucky to have that grandmother's family to forgive her knowing she took responsibility for her action.Does give back as well,she speaks out to troubled teens that are into breaking the law.I am proud of her doing this too
    airslot, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.

Sponsored Links