Melting pot? - Page 2

Melting pot?

This is a discussion on Melting pot? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; American melting pot....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Melting pot?

American melting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm not sure the Native Americans thought the new folks were blending so well.
    But that's me.
    We gotta learn from their mistakes... shouldn't we?
    Rabbit212 and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Immigrants have always lived with people of their past nationalities.
    Just look at Little Italy, Chinatown, Williamsburg area in NYC.
    But a generation or so later, their kids were encouraged to assimilate, learn the language celebrate or national holidays and pledge allegiance to this country and not the country of their parents.
    They then moved out and started living together with other Americans to live the American dream.
    After generation or two no one cared where you came from if you worked hard and followed the law
    Exactly!

There were some cases of immigrants being ornery in the past. The Irish are one set. They revolted pretty badly and caused a lot of discord in the early years. I don't blame them, from what little I know of the Irish incursion they were held in about the same esteem as slaves were before them. But, that's all changed now because they settled in, worked hard, and didn't expect handouts for the most part. They blended in, even if they didn't fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Great idea OldiThink. Now who gets to set the ground rules as to what we should be blending into?? Oh and its Spanish not Mexican, Mexico is the country Spanish is the language.
    Good question. I came to vent, not offer my own solution because I'm not bucking for a raise or a promotion here. Besides, I'm not a good mediator or ambassador. I give people my opinion. I listen to theirs, and then I move on with my life.

And concerning the 'little' Mexican I learned....

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Great idea OldiThink. Now who gets to set the ground rules as to what we should be blending into?? Oh and its Spanish not Mexican, Mexico is the country Spanish is the language.
    I can give you a ground rule.
    Come to America to be an American.
    Not an African American or a Hispanic American
    Embrace our founding traditions.
    Donít try to change us into where you came from but change yourself into us.
    Nobody says you canít keep your heritage.
    My heritage is German Scot and Sicilian. I speak some Italian, love all the food.
    But I am an American first and donít give a ratís rosey butt about where my ancestors came from compared to where I live.
    That is how you melt in.
    That is how we became the most awesome place to live on the face of the earth.
    We take the best of what the world has to offer and mold it into an American

THIS! ^^^^^

Rabbit212 likes this.

I also do not care all that much about my German/English heritage. I do often think about the castle outside Berchtesgaden that my great grandmother got screwed(not literally) out of. I want my castle back!

Without the castle and the peasants I could care less about my German heritage.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I'd be coming to America to if I was faced with living the "European Dream" . And now America wants to be European again. Lorded over by their betters and dependent on their generosity and favors. Trading Liberty and Freedom for the illusion of security.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I can give you a ground rule.
    Come to America to be an American.
    Not an African American or a Hispanic American
    Embrace our founding traditions.
    Donít try to change us into where you came from but change yourself into us.
    Nobody says you canít keep your heritage.
    My heritage is German Scot and Sicilian. I speak some Italian, love all the food.
    But I am an American first and donít give a ratís rosey butt about where my ancestors came from compared to where I live.
    That is how you melt in.
    That is how we became the most awesome place to live on the face of the earth.
    We take the best of what the world has to offer and mold it into an American
    So as you explained in your earlier post the new legal immigrants need time to start blending in. Give them time it's worked for the other legal immigrant groups.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm not sure the Native Americans thought the new folks were blending so well.
    But that's me.
    The woolly mammoths who occupied North America before bipeds trickled in from Asia weren't too fond of the new folks back then, either.

(Which is my response to people claiming "they" were here first.)
    MMinSC, airslot, Frodebro and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The NY immigrants here can't seem to blend in. Maybe I need to shove them into my blender.

Name:  OIP (4).jpg
Views: 14
Size:  15.7 KB
    OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The woolly mammoths who occupied North America before bipeds trickled in from Asia weren't too fond of the new folks back then, either.

(Which is my response to people claiming "they" were here first.)
    I do not like to presume things. But do people you tell that to actually accept that as a logical argument? If so, please forward the names so I can sell them some oceanfront property in South Dakota.

Are you saying that woolly mammoths have the same rights as human beings? Or are you saying that it was OK since that Native Americans were considered a lower class of people?

I find that analogy absurd unless you have more to say on it.

Typical historical arguments are

1: That is how it was back then, stronger over the weak
    2: Colonialism
    3: Need to spread Christianity

Each has valid historical arguments, many of which I agree with or disagree with.

But comparing an animal and a human being in the same context is..........
    PAcanis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I do not like to presume things. But do people you tell that to actually accept that as a logical argument? If so, please forward the names so I can sell them some oceanfront property in South Dakota.

Are you saying that woolly mammoths have the same rights as human beings? Or are you saying that it was OK since that Native Americans were considered a lower class of people?

I find that analogy absurd unless you have more to say on it.

Typical historical arguments are

1: That is how it was back then, stronger over the weak
    2: Colonialism
    3: Need to spread Christianity

Each has valid historical arguments, many of which I agree with or disagree with.

But comparing an animal and a human being in the same context is..........
    Or you could just recognize the post for the intended metaphor that it was. Good grief!!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Or you could just recognize the post for the intended metaphor that it was. Good grief!!
    @wmhawth
    I think we found one of the Californians that moved to Texas.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    So as you explained in your earlier post the new legal immigrants need time to start blending in. Give them time it's worked for the other legal immigrant groups.
    If you look at history, in the past most people who came here basically became what I would call American in 1 generation.
    They encouraged their children to learn the language, become part of the community.
    What I see now is the Balkanization of America. Everyone having their own little niches and years later still not blending into our culture.
    That is a dangerous thing. That is what is tearing this country apart, pitting special groups against other special groups.
    Immigrants should still be able to do this as the Irish, Germans,Italians,Japanese have done in the past.
    Yes even the Japanese were able to successfully integrate into our society. And we put them in internment camps for Pete's sake.
    If cannot see that I can not help you.
    OD*, Arejay and PAcanis like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links