Melting pot?

Melting pot?

This is a discussion on Melting pot? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I put this here because it is NOT about casting bullets. This is my rant; America has long been called the melting pot of the ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Melting pot?

Melting pot?

I put this here because it is NOT about casting bullets.

This is my rant; America has long been called the melting pot of the world because of all the diversity of immigrants that settled here. I'm second generation full born here; meaning all my great grandparents immigrated here from overseas. I'm predominately Germanic in origin with a little of overyone else over there thrown in I guess.

Regardless, the meaning of melting pot is simple-- put everything in and it all mixes together sooner or later. That's why America was not called the 'egg crate' of the world. The point of coming here is NOT to remain segregated by attributes, but to blend in and become part of the whole. In today's dynamic this seems to be lost on the democratic liberal activists in the House and the new aspirants to the WH.

I don't believe for an instant that many folks are against legal immigration. There' will always be a few skinheads or whatever out there but overall, folks are pretty accommodating here. It's only when the immigrants come here and start demanding that Americans change our ways in order for them to continue on the same way they did in their own countries. I'm not saying anything new here, just repeating what republicans have implied or said outright for a long while now.

Personally, I love interacting with immigrants, I'll never get to their country of origin (nor do I want to) so I live vicariously through them. I've learned a little Mexican from our local Mexican restaurant owners who are immigrants. Good people too. I've learned a few words of Chinese from the Asian restaurant owners who are immigrants. Also good people. They're happy to teach, I'm happy to learn.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with immigrants as long as they're coming here for the right reasons, which it seems these days they are not.

America is a melting pot, there should be a big sign at all our boarders if there isn't already, saying just that. That means you leave old attitudes behind and assimilate to your new surroundings in order to blend in, not to stand out as being a special group.

My Dad always quoted an old Latin proverb; "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." I think that was good advice and it holds true today. I'm annoyed that business culture has to alter their schedules for immigrants religious ceremony's every day. Nobody is asking them to forget their religion, but to have to interrupt a normal American work day so they can do their thing is them remaining segregated from blending in. That's bringing their county here. They need to adapt, not us!

The head gear worn by a seriously unliked House rookie is another example. She should adapt to the rules of the House, the house should have NEVER altered the rules for one person that was born overseas. She should not even be allowed to be part of our government regardless. Her children ..yes. They would be born here. It's evident she cannot forget the past and uses it to try and usurp our ways instead of adapting to them and blending in. This is a growing problem.

As I said, I'm not broaching anything new, just venting. This is a damned if we do, damned if we don't situation. I see it as the beginning of the downfall of the republic as it is now. Trumps terms can go so far. Then he will be a very hard act to follow. The next act will almost certainly be democratic, then we are goners.

Will civil war happen? Even if it does, what will it accomplish? How severe will it be? Will it turn into a world war once Putin or Xi Jinping see an opportunity? Like all civil wars it will be brother against brother, sister against sister. Family's will be torn apart. Young idealists against older traditionalists. It won't be pretty.

One thing I see as certain, if we don't curtail the influx of illegal immigrants, our country will cease to be a country.

The melting pot today is filled with oil and water. It just mixes and then separates into its own stuff.

I never considered the USA a "melting pot," which implies we all became one. We just managed to get along fairly well without killing each other.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm the grandson of immigrants who fled here for freedom and opportunity. They taught themselves to read and speak English, but would bust out some Slovak occasionally. I'm the adoptive father of legal immigrants, orphaned in the Carribean. The oldest, now 19, has a decent job as a nutrition aide and is full-time college student. 13yo twins are very Americanized. My Sister-in-law is English. I literally love immigrants!

Those who cheat, cut line, sponge off others, and commit crimes anger me greatly. While even scrap can melt to a good alloy, the dross needs discarded.
    Still Clingin'

I donít like anyone and everybody needs to stay the devil off my lawn, Iíll get them and their little dog too!

(How am I doing OldVet ?)
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

The student is reaching master level!
    Sister, NECCdude and ETXhiker like this.

The later immigrants had it easy. One of my ancestors was hanged as a witch in 1654 after she come over to the new world.
    Sister, MMinSC, Tstone and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Good case for the 'blending in' ideology methinks.
    ETXhiker likes this.

My ancestors were Scotch-Irish on both sides. They immigrated in the 1600s and 1700s. Whats my point? Not sure, but we sure like a drink.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Like Elizabeth Warren, Iím an Indian
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

I believe we are a melting pot for the most part compared to other nations. I don't see the same division and issues in real life that I see in the news, forums, and social media. I've worked, shopped, eaten, etc at the same establishments with people off races, religions, and politics without any issues. We all get along. Even some of my co worker know I voted for Trump via my bumper stickers. We might have convos and make smart comments here and there, but we still get along and are respectful of one another.

It's just that the media and the inet attracts and spot lights the loud mouth extremist of all sides.

For all the complaining, I love this country. We enjoy the most freedoms and the most lax gun laws than any other. We're one in a kind when it comes to diversity as well. Where's one of a kind in the history of this planet, and I'm for one am proud of that. I haven't and refuse to buy into the narrative that the media, extremist, and politicans would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I donít like anyone and everybody needs to stay the devil off my lawn, Iíll get them and their little dog too!

(How am I doing OldVet ?)
    Needs work.
    Name:  th (4).jpg
Views: 32
Size:  5.2 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm not sure the Native Americans thought the new folks were blending so well.
    But that's me.
    MMinSC, OD*, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Immigrants have always lived with people of their past nationalities.
    Just look at Little Italy, Chinatown, Williamsburg area in NYC.
    But a generation or so later, their kids were encouraged to assimilate, learn the language celebrate or national holidays and pledge allegiance to this country and not the country of their parents.
    They then moved out and started living together with other Americans to live the American dream.
    After generation or two no one cared where you came from if you worked hard and followed the law

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm not sure the Native Americans thought the new folks were blending so well.
    But that's me.
    But they were immigrants too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Great idea OldiThink. Now who gets to set the ground rules as to what we should be blending into?? Oh and its Spanish not Mexican, Mexico is the country Spanish is the language.
    oldIthink and airslot like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links