Well, guess what I had to have done...

This is a discussion on Well, guess what I had to have done... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This has been developing for a while now. I began to notice that it was getting quite uncomfortable to pull the trigger on a handgun, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Well, guess what I had to have done...

Lead Moderator

This has been developing for a while now. I began to notice that it was getting quite uncomfortable to pull the trigger on a handgun, Strange though it was, I could shoot my ARs without any discomfort at all. What was the problem? Osteoarthritis. That's arthritis in the last joint of the finger. I never dreamed I would be affected with that.

So an exam and discussion with a good hand doctor revealed two surgical options - fuse the joint or clean it up. Fusing has the best track record for success, but the cleanup, if successful would relieve most of the pain and keep my joint flexible. I was very fortunate to get a doctor friendly to guns, in fact, he is a member of the same range I am.

So I checked into the hospital at 8:45 am this morning and the surgery started at about 10:30 am. It was supposed to happen at 9:45 am, but then, I've never seen a doctor that could tell time.

Turned out I had three female techs, one of them had just got her carry permit, another has a son on the US Olympic Skeet Shooting team!

The doc asked which side of my finger gave the most trouble since he intended to do that side only, The "sides" are defined by an important leader that runs down the center of the finger. I said, "Since we're all here, why don't we do both?" There was a thoughtful, "hmmm" followed with a "I can do that." And so we began,

This was all done by local numbing. That smarted just a bit, then my index finger, most of my middle finger, part of my thumb went numb. My blood pressure zoomed toi 180/109 - I wasn't scared a bit

So everything went well. After the surgery, we headed home, but stopped to eat and pick up a pain medicine prescription - which it doesn't look like I'll need, and got home about 2:00 pm.

I had made plans to go to the range, but due to the coid (couldn't get a glove on) and rain (not supposed to get it wet), I decided not to go.

So here's what I look like right now:

It's not as bad as it might appear; I get to take that mess off in 4 days.

I did take 2 Extra Strength Tylenols, and I'm just about pain/discomfort free. I'll take a dose of Tylenol PM at 9:15 pm hopefully to enhance the night's sleep. If that stuff works as good as the Extra Strength Tylenol, I'll sleep like a baby. The PM version has some benadryl in it to help with sleep. I really don't know that I need that, but a good night's sleep would be great!

Gonna try to make it to the range tomorrow; it won't be raining, but colder, but I think I know how to keep my hand warm without a glove - which I can't get into. I'll likely have to shoot with my middle finger instead or my trigger finger, so that will be a new experience.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Get better soon!
    Tangle, Sister, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Sorry it hurts, BTDT - did a thread on shooting w middle finger due to the same. Worked beautifully! Honestly shot better with it and pointer finger out straight.

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me and the pain will subside. Getting old beats the alternative 👍🏻
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

Here's to speedy recovery Tangle... sounds like you're almost there already
    Florida CWFL
    Member Florida Carry
    Member NRA

Hope it heals soon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Hope all heals up like new ...
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

We had a cop who lost his trigger finger to a circular saw mishap. He re-learned how to shoot with his middle finger and did very well!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I wouldn't push that finger like that unless doc said it was OK. With that said I rarely take docs advice on anything myself so YMMV.

I had carpal tunnel and a trigger finger fixed on my right hand a few years ago. The best voluntary surgery ever! I have other fingers with the trigger finger syndrome but they aren't as painful or annoying as that one was. I had to pull pretty hard to get that finger to straighten out and when it did it shot pain up my arm.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    This has been developing for a while now. I began to notice that it was getting quite uncomfortable to pull the trigger on a handgun, Strange though it was, I could shoot my ARs without any discomfort at all. What was the problem? Osteoarthritis. That's arthritis in the last joint of the finger. I never dreamed I would be affected with that.

So an exam and discussion with a good hand doctor revealed two surgical options - fuse the joint or clean it up. Fusing has the best track record for success, but the cleanup, if successful would relieve most of the pain and keep my joint flexible. I was very fortunate to get a doctor friendly to guns, in fact, he is a member of the same range I am.

So I checked into the hospital at 8:45 am this morning and the surgery started at about 10:30 am. It was supposed to happen at 9:45 am, but then, I've never seen a doctor that could tell time.

Turned out I had three female techs, one of them had just got her carry permit, another has a son on the US Olympic Skeet Shooting team!

The doc asked which side of my finger gave the most trouble since he intended to do that side only, The "sides" are defined by an important leader that runs down the center of the finger. I said, "Since we're all here, why don't we do both?" There was a thoughtful, "hmmm" followed with a "I can do that." And so we began,

This was all done by local numbing. That smarted just a bit, then my index finger, most of my middle finger, part of my thumb went numb. My blood pressure zoomed toi 180/109 - I wasn't scared a bit

So everything went well. After the surgery, we headed home, but stopped to eat and pick up a pain medicine prescription - which it doesn't look like I'll need, and got home about 2:00 pm.

I had made plans to go to the range, but due to the coid (couldn't get a glove on) and rain (not supposed to get it wet), I decided not to go.

So here's what I look like right now:

It's not as bad as it might appear; I get to take that mess off in 4 days.

I did take 2 Extra Strength Tylenols, and I'm just about pain/discomfort free. I'll take a dose of Tylenol PM at 9:15 pm hopefully to enhance the night's sleep. If that stuff works as good as the Extra Strength Tylenol, I'll sleep like a baby. The PM version has some benadryl in it to help with sleep. I really don't know that I need that, but a good night's sleep would be great!

Gonna try to make it to the range tomorrow; it won't be raining, but colder, but I think I know how to keep my hand warm without a glove - which I can't get into. I'll likely have to shoot with my middle finger instead or my trigger finger, so that will be a new experience.
    YIKES! Get Better SOON! ....While on the other hand, (PUN INTENDED here) Here's a hammer to keep your mind off that pain.... Sorry Tangle, I couldn't resist it, as somebody (maybe OldVet ) may have beaten (no pun intended) me to it.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, guess what I had to have done...-investor-carrying-hammer-nail.jpg  

msgt/ret, airslot and OD* like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Maybe the surgery will fix that ES problem you've been having.

You might change your mind on the pain med thing in the AM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Speedy recovery.
    Hope your shooting finger get to be 100%

Hope it heals up quick and you're pain free soon.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Ditto. Donít overdo the pain stuff. Liver problems are worse than arthritis. ;)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Senior Moderator
    Get well quickly!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

At least it wasn't your driving finger!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links