The stock market roller coaster - Page 2

The stock market roller coaster

This is a discussion on The stock market roller coaster within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm 10 years away from retirement yet, so I'm going to ride it out. Just a momentary blip on the chart. I'm constantly, regularly buying, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: The stock market roller coaster

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    I'm 10 years away from retirement yet, so I'm going to ride it out. Just a momentary blip on the chart.

I'm constantly, regularly buying, so the dollar-cost-averaging works in my favor in times like these, and doesn't really hurt that much when things are up...
    MMinSC likes this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I'm 10 years away from retirement yet, so I'm going to ride it out. Just a momentary blip on the chart.

I'm constantly, regularly buying, so the dollar-cost-averaging works in my favor in times like these, and doesn't really hurt that much when things are up...
    I'm in retirement but haven't had to draw upon any of my retirement funds, getting by comfortably on my SS and military retirement. While the value of my funds have dropped significantly, I'm a few years from mandatory withdrawals and expect the finances will have recovered by then. Or hope so anyhow. Until then, it's only a paper value.
    GraySkies likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm in retirement but haven't had to draw upon any of my retirement funds, getting by comfortably on my SS and military retirement. While the value of my funds have dropped significantly, I'm a few years from mandatory withdrawals and expect the finances will have recovered by then. Or hope so anyhow. Until then, it's only a paper value.
    Ditto in every respect. I don't have to take RMDs until 2026 under the revised tax rules.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

The big investment firms have enough buying power to manipulate the stock price any direction they choose.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

I've been buying in a little bit at a time the last few weeks and will likely continue for a few more. Warren Buffet said something to the effect of "be greedy when others are scared, and be scared when others are greedy" I haven't sold a stock since I entered shortly before the Iraq invasion in the early 2000s.

I've never had all my money in stocks. I keep enough in less volatile lower risk and lower return funds to pay for emergencies and unexpected expenses as I hate the idea of having to sell from a stock fund that will generate taxable income.

Historically betting on the American economy for the long term has been a winner, but as they say "past results are not a guarantee of the future"
    The whole thing may come crashing down one day. I just figure if it comes to that it won't matter what a computer says you have in this fund or that, and the ones who stuffed paper money in a mason jar will have little more than toilet paper substitute.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I'm 5 years away from one of those fancy 55+ communities. I got started late into a 401k. When the military came out with their "thrift savings plan" (401k) the kids were in high school, and as an E-5, with a son and daughter in high school, and a daughter in middle school, the funds just weren't there. Been paycheck to paycheck for a long time. When I got this job a bit over 5 years ago, and had the option for a 401k, I jumped on it. Started out with one of those year goal funds, but within a year or two, I realized that it wasn't producing the way I wanted. Moved the 401k funds into VIIIX, a Vanguard ETF that pays dividends, and has low expenses. Was happy with it until this craziness. I have a bit in the gun fund, that I may use this coming week to look for a few stocks to sit on until this garbage is over.

Also thinking about either increasing the percentage going into the 401k, or taking what I would use for that and starting an IRA. I'm a bitconcerned about retirement funding, since I have the wife's disability, plus my retirement and disability from my service. Between those, a 55+ community should be easily affordable. But...

Honestly, I am concerned about funding retirement. Don't have anyone here locally that I trust to discuss this with. There is no one I work with that is in or has been in my position. The advisers for the brokerage I go through are noncommittal when I ask questions. All that leaves me with is doing my own research, and hoping it sticks long enough to make good decisions.

Sorry. That got a bit more in depth than I was expecting. But, I'm not going to edit it out. Hopefully, one of the august members here, might have some advice.
    MMinSC likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I am mostly retired and my portfolio is down 18%. But I am not worried about it. First, there is nothing I can do about it. Second, when this crisis is over, it will rebound. It always does. And third, I don't depend on it for day-to-day.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    Honestly, I am concerned about funding retirement. Don't have anyone here locally that I trust to discuss this with. There is no one I work with that is in or has been in my position. The advisers for the brokerage I go through are noncommittal when I ask questions. All that leaves me with is doing my own research, and hoping it sticks long enough to make good decisions.

Sorry. That got a bit more in depth than I was expecting. But, I'm not going to edit it out. Hopefully, one of the august members here, might have some advice.
    My wife and went with Edwards Jones a few years back. She had an IRA that wasn't doing much, and the guy who worked it never called or anything. Too small of an amount to be troubled with I guess. So she went to this EJ fellow, a very nice young guy who is a carbon copy of racer Carl Edwards, and he rolled her IRA over into several funds that have done really well-until the last couple of weeks anyhow.

I had several 401 accounts and IRA mutual funds, and I let him review them for his opinions. A week or so later he called us in and said in his opinion, all but one were good investments and should do well, but one he was sure he could beat. So I let him roll that over and he also did well with that--again until the market dump.

He called about day three of the dump and asked if I was nervous and wanted to cash out, which I said I wasn't happy--who would be--but I had been letting the market investments roll through several of these events and it always comes back stronger. He said he had a matured CD of ours and would like permission to invest it when the time was right. I told him to go for it.

We've basically turned the majority of our investments over to him and cannot complain about his performance. Would everyone who signs up with EJ be as happy? I can't say. Even with the current crash our investments is still worth more than what we've put into it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

"Stocks are the only thing people won't buy when they're on sale" -someone famous and rich(can't remember who).
    OldVet likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Stock Market Billionaires are made on public hysteria. While the newbies are dumping, the sharks are buying. Today was one of those days that the sharks won.

you wanna see "volatile"? Type in the ticker symbol QLD. Proshares Ultra QQQ is an ETF not for the faint of heart.

ProShares Ultra QQQ QLD

Investors seeking to make big gains in a short span can bet on QLD. It provides twice the return of the NASDAQ-100 Index’s daily performance and exchanges more than a million shares in hand on average. The fund has an AUM of $2.3 billion, and charges 95 bps in fees and expenses. It has surged 83.8% so far this year.
    I like QQQ and have been in it also TQQQ is scary but QLD even scarier which is down 20 percent for the YTD
    buts been deeper than that.....If the futures are green you could toss some cash at it and see what happens if your so bold
    but I would never touch it -
    As of friday close we were up on the dow +1900 points,monday if we are green again may be a signal we left
    bottom but of its red again would indicate were still in the mud -
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links