How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 12

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a home office, so far so good...

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

We have a home office, so far so good
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

No issues here, yesterday was nice so I tested a new 5.56 load and zero'd a couple rifles for it.

Our county announced that as of 0001 on WED we're going into "shelter in place". I've been deemed "mission essential" with about 12 other folks at work, so we'll be locking the door on the way out tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, then comes the teleworking: Answer an Email, shoot a group, answer an email, shoot a group.

Luckily for me "shelter in place" means being restricted to close to 500 acres and I've got a chitload of reloading to do. My biggest fear right now is the list of projects my wife is working on.

So other than matches being cancelled, it really hasn't had a big impact on me. Normally this time of year I'm prepping brass and loading match ammo, so I'll carry on with business as usual.
    airslot likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Drove an hour north to meet my son halfway from where he is staying in Orlando. Met at a Starbucks off I-95. The drive through was backed up out into the main drag. And barely moving. The barista(s) were definitely not operating in high-speed mode. The heck with a coffee--for day two.

OldVet will go Cornholio before two weeks of this crap is up.

Name:  th (5).jpg
Views: 37
Size:  5.0 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Angry

Generally speaking, I'm not doing bad as far as health ... They are talking about possibility of making our work be from home, and I am really down with that. Especially after my day Friday.

Early in the day, supervisor wanted to have a chat with me, which I thought was related to the email I'd sent (circumstances changing--my daughter is moving back, and she'll be working in our town's nursing home--she has a CNA and is studying to be a nurse), as they're still working out possibilities of remote work. Wrong!

Someone had gone to her with this rumor that was like my life if run through a really wretched version of the "telephone" game (I'm going to italicize everything that was a deviation from reality): that my daughter had recently returned from China, and two weeks ago I took a week off to spend time with her. Now, I was coughing.

The reality? Bolding the actual info: My daughter-in-law returned from China six weeks ago (she is Chinese, her parents live there). Three weeks ago, I was on vacation because I wanted to take time off--I love staycations. I did see DIL for a day and the rest of the family for my father's birthday at the end of February--a week after she had completed the self-monitoring period upon her return to the US. The person at the desk next to mine has been coughing constantly for the past three days.

OK, yes, it's a tense time and all that, but spreading gossip like that isn't helpful and I can't stand it when people go running to the supervisor instead of pulling on their big-girl undies and deal with life. And for the love of everything, including tiny apples, don't make a tense time worse by making up stories without even bothering to try to verify facts (such as who is coughing in my office).

Rat finks...
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    We just got notified that the schools are going to be closed at least until May 1st. They may extend the closure to the end of the school year. Oh joy. It's gonna be next to impossible to keep the kids indoors for such a long time. A lot of people seem to be ignoring the government request to stay indoors because they were showing a lot of people out and about at the beaches and events on the news and Cuomo and Newsom are besides themselves because they don't have any control of the subjects.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Because the morons in office, or politicians if you prefer, cannot choose as to when to lift the school closure I will be having another long week. Pulling devices out of classrooms, imaging (re-installing the software), cleaning them, and tearing apart the carts for individual use instead of classroom use. We are preparing to get more devices out to students if the closure will go beyond four weeks.

I am not considered essential, but am going to be part of a new tier of staff, that reports to work in situations like this. The essential designation is one that refers to the folks who have to come in during snow days to basically do two things. Answer phone calls or remove snow. Now we need a pandemic tier.

Sent to work from home. I lubed up all my guns, i always have a month of water and food stashed away, and cash to last if needed. Paid all of my bills a month in advance. I am not a medical worker,but what makes this so much more deadly than the swine flu in 2009? Is it the media causing panic and fear or this flu exponentially deadlier?
    demanic likes this.

I just got back from a late-night walk around the block. Didn't have time for my daily walk today, plus it was too hot. Had to turn on my three-D-Cell Maglite when a car approached. It was a PD cruiser. He (She?) didn't stop and neither did I. I guess the officer thought an old curmudgeon with a big Maglite was safe enough and continued on patrol.

I am sure there are more worried about getting infected than stopping an old guy with an old school mag lite.

Senior Moderator
    I guess the officer thought an old curmudgeon with a big Maglite was safe enough and continued on patrol.
    He/She realized they were redundant.
    OldVet and MMinSC like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    He/She realized they were redundant.
    Okay, finally got it. Only one cup of coffee so far.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

We are doing pretty well. My wife was sent home with her laptop last Thursday and told to work from home until further notice. That helped out quite a bit with taking care of our son since he can't go to school.

I am a construction manager for a small residential builder. My job cannot be done from home. My boss has not said anything at all yet, and I'm going to keep doing my job as long as I can do so legally. I don't work around large groups of people or real close to people anyway. If my state were to institute a mandated shelter-in-place policy, I don't know how I would fare with my job. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Cricket likes this.

Administrator
    We just received a stay at home order in my county.

I'm a little grumpy tonight.
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Now we have a stay at home order. More confusion and chaos. I get to work from home for one day. After that, who knows!

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links