How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 13

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got some worrying news from manufacturing/consumer goods sector, tons of orders are being cancelled for the rest of the year. This better be over ...

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree817Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I got some worrying news from manufacturing/consumer goods sector, tons of orders are being cancelled for the rest of the year. This better be over in a week, maybe 2. We are on the brink of economic armageddon that will cause much more death and destruction than the virus itself. The whole lockdown thing just keeps most of the herd from being infected, but then the solution is the herd is going to get infected eventually. Are we going to have multiple multiweek quarantines with each wave? The govt bickering is a joke stringed quartet on the titanic. NO financial package is going to replace the near entire economy, and certainly for no length of time. the average person or business does not have the savings to withstand much more than 30 days.
    StripesDude likes this.

Thankfully, I am still working. I work in healthcare and have a primary hospital and also support 2 or 3 others. I take all of the PPE precautions but, am pretty much resigned to getting the virus at some point. Being extra, extra careful to prevent cross contamination between patients! Still working and pulling in a paycheck. Have plenty of Sick Time, Personal Time and, Vacation Time to use if I do end up out sick. Iíll be alright.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Although we are well stocked, perishables are becoming a concern, as well as the ability to get them. Fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, eggs... things like that. On top of that, the wife and I are both feeling a bit ill. I'm not worried about a spike in home invasions, or civil unrest, yet anyway. I'm prepared for someone trying to kick down my door, as I am sure most here are. Despite feeling like crap, I HAVE to get out later this morning for a few things. I'll cover my nose and mouth with a bandana and stay away from people, but I'm not willing to do without milk for my Post Toasties just yet.
    surefire7 likes this.

We are still good. The lockdown order for San Antonio (eff 11:59 PM tonight) does not affect me since I do not work, I never go anywhere except to go for my morning run (which I can still do), and all my hobbies I do either on one of my properties. I am retired military and my wife is retired. I literally have 1.7 MILES (9000 feet) of paper towels (part of our prepper plan years ag0) and plenty of TP.

We actually have too many eggs and TP and paper towels. I know some of my neighbors are elderly and I went to them a couple of days ago to ask how they were doing. I gave them some TP, eggs, and paper towels.

Prayers for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    We actually have too many eggs and TP and paper towels. I know some of my neighbors are elderly and I went to them a couple of days ago to ask how they were doing. I gave them some TP, eggs, and paper towels.

Prayers for everyone!
    PM'ing you my address!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I just got back from Walmart and the town grocer.
    Walmart was really cleaned out. Food aisles were half full. I got one of the last two bottles of olive oil. Everything is being bought.
    The town store was actually in a little better shape, but there were still items missing from the last time I was in there 4-5 days ago. I'm thinking it is supply more than demand. I can't imagine people hoarding hot dogs and sour cream.

Social distancing being practiced at the Walmart. Unless you have to pass by someone.
    Not so at the local market.
    Neither store was that crowded. Empty really... considering.

I sure wish the temps would warm up and the rain would stop. Getting bored watching TV. But I do prefer the comfort of home with my dogs.
    There will be time enough for fishing in a week or two.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

VIP Member
    I still haven't made it to panic mode yet.......
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Doing fine here in Northern Virginia. Frankly, little has changed for me on a daily basis. Unless I am with clients, I work remotely as do all my direct and most indirect reports. The only people in our firm who have offices are the Senior Leadership Team and learning that they can work remotely rather than meet in the Boardroom is a revelation for them. I am concerned because some of my indirect reports are hourly workers and with some of our projects are on hiatus due to client inability to work with us and with some of our facilities required by law to close, those people are now without an income. Thank goodness, nobody in our ~20,000 person/50+ country company has tested positive as far as I know.

I have not traveled since March 10 and my flight was was only half full. Some of our project work has slowed down. One client told us that his IT group could not work with us because suddenly they are trying to figure out how to support their entire workforce as remote workers. On the other hand, I am still meeting with clients virtually and they are still asking for proposals and statements of work.

On January 1 I went on a diet (down about 15 pounds so far). My diet is low carb/high protein, so I don't eat most of the typical pantry fillers. I continue to go to the local supermarket, butcher, etc for fresh veggies/fruit and meat and the ABC for booze and the tobacconist for Cigars. :-) Since January 1 I have been cooking more so I have lots of precooked meals in the freezer. If the food supply chain runs into issues, I have enough rabbits and squirrels in my yard to feed me for a month and there are no shortage of deer in the neighborhood. This last point makes me wonder. With more time on their hands and more people out of work will hunting (out of season) go up and the deer population down, or will the reduction in auto traffic kill fewer deer and the population grow?

I find that I am making more time to talk and especially video conference with family and friends far more often than I usually do. I am putting together a 'virtual Seder for Passover with family from NY, NJ and FL.

I am 65, so in a high risk group and I am taking reasonable precautions
    demanic, Rock and Glock and WC145 like this.

We went to the liquor store finally yesterday for a resupply of beer and whiskey. Also went to the King Soopers (a Kroger brand) we normally shop at to get eggs, milk, tortillas, etc. The only thing on the list we couldn't find was regular old Skippy peanut butter. The shelves that were empty were where we expected them to be. It was our first venture out of the house for two weeks and it was good to get out.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Went shopping at Fry's this morning. Was able to get most things. Probably won't go shopping again for the next two weeks. There was to available. Limit to 1. They had chicken, eggs and milk along with plenty of produce.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

It's official. My county is on lock down. Or at least we have the stay at home thing enacted. Which doesn't seem to be affecting my neighbors any. They seem to be getting visitors and going to work as usual.
    A whole total of four confirmed cases in the county, all doing well at home. And two were said to have gotten it from the one.

This is BC.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I just realized I have an issue coming up in May. I ordered a new birth certificate late January, from NY. I need it to review my driver's license, and get my Real ID. I haven't received it and with NY effectively shut down, I doubt I'll get it before May when I renew.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    My fears came true today. My 100million dollar customer, owned by 18 billion private equity group told me they aren't paying me a dime of the 1.2 million in accounts receivable. They are past due on a part of that. I gotta make payroll for my loyal hard working employees that get paid 12-15/hr with no health bennies, it will be all i can scrape up to make payroll next week. The customer CEO said they cannot give me a dime this week and will have a conference call update next TUESDAY to make a *&#))*&#! payment plan! I could tell they'll try and blow me off then too. My future lies in the hands of some dirtbag in Paris at private equity firm. I am not alone. We are on the brink of major economic disaster if this doesn't largely clear up in the next week. Trump is banking things turned around by Easter. There can be no debate. There is going to be YUUUGE unemployment numbers. Everyone is conditioned to say lockdown to save "millions" of lives, and NOBODY is considering the life and death cost of the other side of the ledger staying in lockdown for any longer. You mean nobody will die if we have 30+ % unemployment??????? how naive can you get? the scary thing is with the supply of testing coming online, you KNOW the propaganda media is going to pump the infected numbers in headlines for maximum panic, when in fact they have no context.
    demanic, Rock and Glock and WC145 like this.

Today was the first full day of St. Louis city and county's "stay at home order". I'm still working as our business is claiming "essential business" status. Also today 7 people were let go, and the rest of us are going to be "asked" to take a 25% pay cut, and we'll only work for 6 hours a day.

All this and I'm still great full to at least be getting a pay check and have health insurance. Hopefully we've found the right balance of personnel and work load to prevent a 2nd round of cut backs. Just a month ago we were setting goals to beat last years record year for sales volume. Everyday it seems like everything changes, who knows what tomorrow brings. Every new day makes yesterday seem like ancient history.

Good news is my commute to the city is a breeze, I get to sleep in 20 minuets extra.
    Rock and Glock and WC145 like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    My whole company is taking a 25% pay cut except for the lowest level. I pulled all of our revolving credit line last Monday, so I have enough cash to get through the rest of the year even with some pessimistic forecasting. We are private equity owned and their concern is cash. Weíve cut all growth, no capital improvements, etc. Walking out of leases and contracts.

Thereís going to be a domino effect that no one realizes. Iím trying to figure out how we make China pay. But we first need to be less reliant on their cheap goods. Then refuse to pay the debt we have with them. Screw China....
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links