How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 2

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Doing pretty well overall here! I'm teleworking from home full-time as of today so that's new, but I'm grateful that I have a flexible enough ...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree814Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

Doing pretty well overall here! I'm teleworking from home full-time as of today so that's new, but I'm grateful that I have a flexible enough job that it's a possibility. My wife works Mon-Fri so that means this pandemic will actually mean more time together as a family. Looking forward to that. (Ask me again when we've all been cooped up in the house together for several days. lol) My wife works as a mental health therapist and she has seen an uptick in people looking for counseling and the clients she has are definitely more stressed than usual. No matter what one thinks about the seriousness of this pandemic, the fact is that the increased stress and anxiety is very real for a lot of folks.

My biggest worry right now is my dad. He has been in and out of the hospital since Christmas day and the doctor's can't seem to pinpoint exactly what is going on. In his compromised state of health, COVID is just one more thing that he can't afford to contract right now. Just trying to "pray without ceasing" and remember God is in control.
    "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." Romans 12:18 (ESV)

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    What am I doing? I splurged and bought 5 boxes of ammo and pushed ahead on purchasing a +2 magguts for my pistol. I also put in some range time.

What am I NOT doing? 'Full' hours at work. Buying maintenance materials, except security and safety items. Panicking. Nonessential shopping.
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

My non-hoarding, non-EOTWAWKI supply of TP is running low. The empty shelves at the stores reinforces my belief that, in general, people are idiots easily led around by the nose. We all will be either very angry at being misled by the doom & gloom predictions or very happy to still be alive when this blows over.

But in a year no one will remember it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My non-hoarding, non-EOTWAWKI supply of TP is running low. The empty shelves at the stores reinforces my belief that, in general, people are idiots easily led around by the nose. We all will be either very angry at being misled by the doom & gloom predictions or very happy to still be alive when this blows over.

But in a year no one will remember it.
    If your shower still works, this too shall pass.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post

That was exactly my thought.
    Are all these hoarders using outhouses? None of them have a shower by their toilet?
    TP is the least of my worries.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Yep. The wife isn't too fond of scooting across the carpeting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

We are semi-retired and making ends meet. We have a lot of income producing investments we converted from 401k's. They are taking a big hit, but we are not solely dependent on them and I know they will come back up once this is over. Our days are really not that much different than they were before the crisis. Differences:
    • We have all our groceries and other stuff delivered. We unload deliveries in the garage, put the outside packaging right in the outside trash cans and wash our hands after.
    • My wife doesn't have to babysit the grandkids, because my daughter works for the state and they have put her on work-at-home.
    • I am getting some home projects done.
    • We are watching the news and a lot of TV.
    • Our hot yoga studio is closed, but they are doing online classes and we also have CDs of the instructor's audio, so we can workout on our own.
    • I got my home boxing gym cleared out and I am going to start hittin' the bags again.
    • I am riding my bike, which doesn't put me near people.
    • I am going to set up some home target practice. I have a Webley pellet pistol and a Gamo pellet rifle I haven't shot in years, as well as a pellet trap/target holder. I am also going to do some "pencil technique" work with my 1911 and some drawing and dry firing practice with all my guns. I am also going to do couple of simple mods on my HD shotgun.
    • I am practicing for my band. I play the mandolin and tenor banjo in a mid-1800's period band that does Steven Foster-type tunes. We have had to put practices on hold. We have a county fair gig in early May. Hopefully that will happen.
    • My wife is doing a lot of reading and helping me with the home projects.
    • Health-wise we are great at the moment. No problems at all. All our doctor's appointments have been cancelled, but there was nothing scheduled that can't wait.

So overall, I am getting more done than when we were going out all the time. We are both introverts, so being home doesn't bother us.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Fortunately we are retired and have always been low key preppers. We don't eat out much and we never eat fast food due to my mandatory no sodium heart healthy diet. The past few days I have been working on getting my generator transfer switch wired into the house. (I was planning on doing that anyway prior to hurricane season.) As of this week our Church went online only for all their services and events. Our annual FOP State Conference was supposed to be next week in Gadsen however it has been postponed until further notice. Our local Emergency Department waiting room is for Corona virus patients only all others have to wait in the Cardiac Unit waiting room. I pray that this virus can be contained, people healed, and everyone can get back to their normal routines!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Moderator
    PSA:

Health Insurance companies have reduced the prohibitions on premature/early prescription refills.

Pharmacies are starting to get overwhelmed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Working from home. I can't work with people I supervise directly, so that requires a bit of an adjustment. Both otherwise my work is unimpeded.

My kids are doing distance learning - essentially videoconferencing classes. Seems to be going fine.

I am concerned for all the people who are taking an income hit now - restaurant employees, retail employees, etc. Hopefully they land on their feet quickly after all this passes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    Slightly concerned - infusion scheduled for the 30th - really hoping that does not get cancelled.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Me and Dad are hanging in there. We should be fine on supplies, at least for a while. I'm just keeping up with the news, and hoping things stay as even-keeled as possible. This is very new to all of us so it's not surprising there will be feelings of uncertainty in all of us. While I'm definitely concerned, I just can't live in a state of constant worry and stress. It's too exhausting.

Also, started some spring cleaning in the house, because I'm already burned out on streaming movies/TV shows. And I'll be playing the guitar a lot. Lots and lots and lots
    OD*, QKShooter, scottync and 1 others like this.
    "Learn to work the saxophone, and I play just what I feel,
    drink scotch whiskey all night long, and die behind the wheel ...
    "

Steely Dan / Deacon Blues

My employer put all of us on remote work as of a week ago. Considering so much of our business is based on relationships, this has been a trying time. My customers have also put their people on remote work as well. My employer has not furloughed any people or missed a payroll. However, it has changed our working dynamic. At home, my wife and I are in the house most of the day. We have gone on walks in the neighborhood and stop to chat with our friends. Humans, are social animals and being in hibernation is taking some adjustment. We have enough TP for now, we're recycling OV's Xmas cards. Once a day, we take a drive to for anything we need and to see what is happening around us. The empty restaurants, move theaters, fitness centers / gyms, and stores is heart breaking considering that many of these businesses are still recovering from Hurricane Harvey.

The most disconcerting thing is the mixed information on when this will end. Will it end next month, this summer, next year? My 401K has lost so much value that I will have to work at least 10 years past my death to recover.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Senior Moderator
    Not much has changed for this household, people who have criticized 'preppers' are pretty quiet now. Out at the farm, with tons of wood, solar panels, ammo, and extra hands...we could manage for many years without leaving the place.
    OD*, G-man*, OneGunTX and 9 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

We are doing well....actually enjoying ourselves.

We started dieting about 3 weeks ago before the panic buying set in, so we are already use to eating more frugal and sensible than before which has the effect of better health, weight loss, and conservation of existing supplies.
    Food storage is enough to to get us by for a couple of months at this rate, and water is plentiful.

Not driving anywhere has cut out gas expenses, so overall we are spending less and saving more.

We now have 2 garden plots ready for planting, and are looking forward to getting seeds in the ground. The chickens are keeping us supplied with plenty of eggs:)

Toilet paper; since we have a septic system, we are already in the habit of not using more than we have to, so we have enough TP to last a month, but on the other side, the leaves will be coming out soon to give an abundance of softer, stronger leaves then I would use during deer season, lol.

I guess we have no real complaints or issues, although we are concerned for elderly parents and other people in general.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links