How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 3

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm playing Madden20 right now! We're good my brother, thanks for asking!...

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I'm playing Madden20 right now! We're good my brother, thanks for asking!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I personally am both amused and disgusted by the way people are acting. I'm also not suprised.
    Wife and I worked in a hospital for many years and can deal with the prevention & treating aspects.
    Income, we're secure. Wife is LEO & I'm an OTR truck driver hauling food. My situational awareness is increased as is my potential response.
    Food, we live rural/remote so the current "hiccup" isn't fazing us. Same with our neighbors.
    Guns-n-ammo, same as the food.
    Only thing I feel we're lacking is garden & livestock. Our occupations make that impractical.
    Health, Wife just turned fift... 29 and in good health. I'm 61, had a heart attack 8 years ago. Have sniffles after hooking & inspecting a trailer yesterday in the rain.
    So we're ok for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I am worried not all Americans are doing their part to keep us older Americans safe. I look at disgust at the spring breakers congregating in mass numbers at the beaches, likely infecting each other and won't know it until they get home, get sick, and infect others. When asked, some have expressed disdain for the criticism of their refusal to stay at home and observe social distancing, and among themselves refer to the virus as the "boomer remover".

Personally, my family is healthy even though my wife is in the very high risk category. We have plenty of food and no need to get out and about. And with more and more places shutting down there's really no place to go except for maybe a run through a drive through or quick grocery stop for perishable food (milk, fruit, bread, vegetables).

But what worries me most is my daughter is an ICU nurse at one of the major hospitals here. She has been on medical leave for three months but is supposed to go back on the clock probably about the time the admissions start to spike for the Wuhu Flu. I'm concerned despite knowing all the proper protocols she might inadvertently bring it home and infect my wife (and me).

My wife and I are fortunate to be retired and financially sound living off social security and my military retirement. If I had to dip into my retirement accounts right now I'd be extremely worried about them lasting as long as we might need the income. But since we don't have to take the minimum required distributions until 2026, we have plenty of time for the stock market to rebound.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I'd give us an 8.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    I'm fine thank you.

Starting on a road trip tomorrow. Headed to the mountains to isolate in the woods for the next week. May go longer.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I am 58.
    Cricket...You don't post a day over 21.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

Thumbs up

We are doing just fine here.
    Basically hunkering in since all restaurants etc. are closed in my borough.
    Food wise - we are better than good.

I'm getting the chance to do a bit more work on the old house.
    Just bought some more Benzalkonium Chloride wipes on ebay.
    Yesterday - mixed up a batch of 1/3 cup fresh Clorox to a gallon of water to be used as a surface wipe for canned goods and other items that we have had delivered.
    That, due to the great amount of time that this virus can stay active on hard surfaces.

No panic at all here. Just judicious calm caution.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Yes sir. Dollar General has dedicated the first hour of the day to us seasoned folk. I would never have believed that that chain of stores would impress favorably, but that was a pretty cool move.
    Quite a few of the larger food chains have done that, but I wonder how many Seniors are going to drag out of bed at 5 AM to be at the store by 6 AM, since it's usually the first hour the store is opened. Also some Seniors have trouble driving in the dark and I think in most places it's still dark at that time. Guess it's the thought that counts.

(Well seasoned at 74! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Great that food stores are doing that but, most of the store employees and cash register, baggers, etc are in their twenties.

So I would still be cautious if anybody is high risk.

Walmart- free delivery on orders over $35.000 & everything is delivered right to your door.

I don't know how things are with Walmart now because we placed a few massive orders a couple of weeks ago.

Not too worried about me and wife. We have plenty. Working from home and jobs aren't at risk. More concerned about the kids that aren't established yet and don't have much of a financial cushion. It feels like 9/11 and the banking collapse of 2008 all over again.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I lead my everyday life as I normally do. No panic or kiss my A** goodbye attitude. The sun is going to come up tomorrow like ever day that I've lived so far.

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I personally am both amused and disgusted by the way people are acting. I'm also not suprised.
    Wife and I worked in a hospital for many years and can deal with the prevention & treating aspects.
    Income, we're secure. Wife is LEO & I'm an OTR truck driver hauling food. My situational awareness is increased as is my potential response.
    Food, we live rural/remote so the current "hiccup" isn't fazing us. Same with our neighbors.
    Guns-n-ammo, same as the food.
    Only thing I feel we're lacking is garden & livestock. Our occupations make that impractical.
    Health, Wife just turned fift... 29 and in good health. I'm 61, had a heart attack 8 years ago. Have sniffles after hooking & inspecting a trailer yesterday in the rain.
    So we're ok for the foreseeable future.

You got a 29 year old wife.......

We’re doing great and glad everyone else is

The both of us are feeling sorry for the folks in the nursing homes and thought maybe we’d rent a karaoke machine and do some 80’s sing along and hit all the nursing homes in the area we could this week while CWO is on Stay-Cation! Maybe I could get CWO to dress up like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, that would be fun!

We’re also playing Chess to sharpen our old minds and CWO has been working on guns. I’ve gotten some Spring cleaning done the past few days and have more to do.

The gardening needs to be done now since it’s not too hot and it’s nice to have CWO provide muscle in this Texas clay/mud as I grew up digging in sand!

If anyone in the area needs toilet paper we’ll spare a roll, our prepping abilities came together well.

God bless everyone ~ (Timmy)
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

As long as my campground stays open at this point...I will take it
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yep. The wife isn't too fond of scooting across the carpeting.
    That right there was funny... thanks

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by con42 View Post
    You got a 29 year old wife.......
    After 29, they are always 29 (even if they're 50).
    I'm 11 years older than her. Quite the kerfuffle when I took a 1st grader to my senior prom. "She's gunna have my babies".

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links