How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 7

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; @ Sister -- Sorry I didn't realize you were kidding about the karaoke thing - but you have such a tremendous sense of humor that ...

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree817Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

VIP Member
    @Sister -- Sorry I didn't realize you were kidding about the karaoke thing - but you have such a tremendous sense of humor that EITHER it was a joke OR you would really get all gussied up and do the thing to make people laugh for a while!!!

Thank you for your concern. I'm getting better, slowly. Doing all the stuff you are supposed to do like head over bowl of steaming water with towel "tent" while sniffing eucalyptus oi; garlic/ginger/lemon/honey tea; extra vitamin C; etc. etc. and so forth. IF a virus "cold" lasts a week to 10 days, I've got a couple more days to go. IF this is actually bronchitis I might have to break down and call the doctor, but I'm hoping that is not the case. I can't take Rx antibiotics so not sure what a doctor could do for me anyway, and both garlic and ginger are natural antibiotics anyway when prepared right.

I had to miss my monthly massage again this month and that was very discouraging since I couldn't get there last month because the snow/sleet made driving too hazardous. My massage lady told me to stay home and get better and not go anywhere where there is even a slight possibility of being exposed to any more stuff. Staying home is my normal mode, so this is not a problem.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

A double shot of Ancient Ancient Age 100-proof whiskey will cure anything--or so my dad swore. It didn't cure his cancer, but he didn't die of a cold either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    11 thousand now infected in America with 164 deaths. And its just getting started
    Exactly.

14,000 infected now and 205 deaths. One day later.

Folks, this is not a hoax. Please do not call it a hoax. It is a deadly novel coronavirus that is highly virulent with a statistically high death rate for the compromised, infirm and elderly, although the actual "real" death rate will not be know for quite awhile.

The media is creating a panic over this, unnecessarily. I will call this a MSM induced panic, but I will not call it a hoax. Hoax implies the the disease itself is a lie. It is not.

We did change up on shopping, as now we are shopping for our parents and bringing the groceries to them .
    We are wiping off all grocery items with Clorox wipes in the garage before bringing them in. One of our friend's husband has compromised immunity. She sheds her clothing in the garage and immediately showers thereafter.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 20th, 2020 at 10:18 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

But people still be crazy.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I know what some of our senators are doing to cope with the outbreak
    Dumping their personal stocks.
    These fine pillars of society used the information they had to get out before the bottom fell out to protect their millions.
    Screw the little people.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dia...-crash-reports

I found it interesting that my neighbor left for work this morning, seeing as how his job is on the non-life-sustaining list that were ordered closed last night.
    As in everything, some people are going to take this seriously and some aren't.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Its having a major impact on how I deal with patients at work, but aside from that, my personal life has been relatively unchanged.
    Pete63 and Rock and Glock like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I found it interesting that my neighbor left for work this morning, seeing as how his job is on the non-life-sustaining list that were ordered closed last night.
    As in everything, some people are going to take this seriously and some aren't.
    The garbage collector is a non-life-sustaining job too, but I'm still glad they showed up for work today. Next week? Who knows? Of course, I don't think the guy riding the back of the truck has to worry about people getting too close.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I know what some of our senators are doing to cope with the outbreak
    Dumping their personal stocks.
    These fine pillars of society used the information they had to get out before the bottom fell out to protect their millions.
    Screw the little people.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dia...-crash-reports

Im not bothered by the sell off. If I paid a financial advisor to manage my investments, I am paying them to predict the future of the market. That being said, if that person told her that he was putting her money into the tech stocks, paypal, etc, and she used that to try to push policy that would increase the value of those stocks(which may or may not have happened), that would be a problem to me. I have bought stock in companies that I believe will make money from all of this and I know everyone elses goal is the same. That part alone is not an insider trading issue.

I have been trying to get through to Orbitz to cancel a hotel room we booked back in December for Dallas next week. I did not buy trip insurance and the reservation was non-refundable. Called the hotel and they said they would issue the refund but it had to come from Orbitz. I spent over an hour on hold yesterday and after connecting with them was put on hold while the customer service person called the hotel. Unbeknownst to me, I was cut off but my phone did not disconnect. The Orbitz person called back while I was on the line (no ID on the number) and told me to "call back." This morning I tried at 0500 several times between 0500-0600 and would connect but the call dropped each time.

At 0645 I got in the car and drove downtown to the Smith's grocery store, a large chain here in the west. They have "senior hours" now on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 0700-0800. I arrived at 0700 and the parking lot was completely full with people driving around looking for a parking space. There was a line of probably 150 people waiting to get in and a police car parked at the door. Everything was orderly. There is nothing absolutely essential that we need, but almost all of our fresh items are dwindling.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Im not bothered by the sell off. If I paid a financial advisor to manage my investments, I am paying them to predict the future of the market. That being said, if that person told her that he was putting her money into the tech stocks, paypal, etc, and she used that to try to push policy that would increase the value of those stocks(which may or may not have happened), that would be a problem to me. I have bought stock in companies that I believe will make money from all of this and I know everyone elses goal is the same. That part alone is not an insider trading issue.
    There is a difference between predicting the outcome of a stock as all financial advisers do and using information you garnered from your job that no one in the outside has privy to at the time.
    That is called insider trading and it is illegal.
    If it is found out that these senators told their money people to pull out of the market now and did not get the advice from them, that is illegal.
    G26Raven and demanic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    There is a difference between predicting the outcome of a stock as all financial advisers do and using information you garnered from your job that no one in the outside has privy to at the time.
    That is called insider trading and it is illegal.
    If it is found out that these senators told their money people to pull out of the market now and did not get the advice from them, that is illegal.
    probably 2 weeks before all this happened I considered moving the majority of my money into different investments figuring it was going to drop. Ultimately I decided against it and now I wish I did do it. That doesnt mean I had secret information. Based only off what I know from this article, nothing about the sell off makes me think of insider trading, and questions still need to be answered about the buying before knowing if that would qualify. The Dow didnt tank because a few people sold a few million dollars in stocks. Thats an insignificant amount of money in the market. It tanked because a LOT of people did exactly what they did. As far as their buying, their positions offer them some more wiggle room in the legal sense. I dont agree with them being able to get away with the things they do, but I highly doubt anything will come of this. The circumstances are different(although not necessarily in an ethical sense) than something like Enron, or Tesla(even though Musk was able to buy his way out of jail for that) as a couple examples.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

Administrator
    Usually optimistic QKS - No longer optimistic.
    Welcome to the first indication of...The Recession Of 2020 followed by the 2nd Great Depression of 2021.

Remember that you read it here first. This does NOT end well folks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    We really don't want this thread to deteriorate into a discussion of "insider-trading". Regardless of whether it meets the legal definition, Some of them them made public announcements about the severity of Covid-19 after they sold off their holdings. That is factual. And that is the last we speak of it herein.
    msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

This forced home-schooling is going well. So far, two students have been suspended for fighting and their teacher fired for drinking on the job.

Yep.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links