How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) - Page 8

How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

This is a discussion on How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The wife and I are doing fine, we have a well-stocked pantry and a chest freezer full to the lid. This will force us to ...

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree817Likes

Thread: How Are YOU Doing? (COVID-19 Impact)

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    The wife and I are doing fine, we have a well-stocked pantry and a chest freezer full to the lid. This will force us to eat some of the stuff in the freezer and get that stockpile down to a more reasonable level.

We do have some concern about the millennials not taking any of this stuff seriously. I saw this in the news:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-store-produce

My take on what should occur - involve the feds, charge them with terrorism, this kind of crap cannot be tolerated during a time of national emergency. Stupid stuff like this goes viral (no pun intended) if it's not nipped in the bud.
    NECCdude and QKShooter like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I found it interesting that my neighbor left for work this morning, seeing as how his job is on the non-life-sustaining list that were ordered closed last night.
    As in everything, some people are going to take this seriously and some aren't.
    I'm taking this seriously even though only 0.005% of the population has tested positive, so far. So, I'm not gonna panic but it sure is tuff to keep the wife from overreacting and to keep the kids from making her crazy. All this coverage of COVID-19 is causing panic, worry, and craziness which is a lot of the problem. I'm 67 and retired but I still get out and about but I'm doing what I can to avoid contact with others and avoiding peak times at the grocery store. If I get sick the rest of the family will have a rough go of it, though, since I'm the only driver and "banker". See you on the other side of the bell curve?

I carry GermX with me so that I can clean my hands after handling anything, including currency. https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/ca...virus-pandemic
    msgt/ret, QKShooter and airslot like this.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I have been trying to get through to Orbitz to cancel a hotel room we booked back in December for Dallas next week. I did not buy trip insurance and the reservation was non-refundable. Called the hotel and they said they would issue the refund but it had to come from Orbitz. I spent over an hour on hold yesterday and after connecting with them was put on hold while the customer service person called the hotel. Unbeknownst to me, I was cut off but my phone did not disconnect. The Orbitz person called back while I was on the line (no ID on the number) and told me to "call back." This morning I tried at 0500 several times between 0500-0600 and would connect but the call dropped each time.

At 0645 I got in the car and drove downtown to the Smith's grocery store, a large chain here in the west. They have "senior hours" now on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 0700-0800. I arrived at 0700 and the parking lot was completely full with people driving around looking for a parking space. There was a line of probably 150 people waiting to get in and a police car parked at the door. Everything was orderly. There is nothing absolutely essential that we need, but almost all of our fresh items are dwindling.
    I wonder if those senior hours are going to be effective. I just try to go at off-peak times which is usually late at night or early in the morning. I don't pay attention to the senior hours.
    G26Raven, QKShooter and airslot like this.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A double shot of Ancient Ancient Age 100-proof whiskey will cure anything--or so my dad swore. It didn't cure his cancer, but he didn't die of a cold either.
    Your dad was wrong. It cures nothing. It DOES make you forget you're sick. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I wonder if those senior hours are going to be effective. I just try to go at off-peak times which is usually late at night or early in the morning. I don't pay attention to the senior hours.
    The Florida Publix chain has changed their hours, closing earlier than usual to allow for more extensive cleaning and restocking, although they're not restocking TP as of yet. The "senior hour" is a new addition, which is fine with me. Hopefully it will allow the elderly to get what they need before the hoards strip the shelves bare every day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    Your dad was wrong. It cures nothing. It DOES make you forget you're sick. :)
    Or could not care less.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    So far it doesn't appear they are. Right now, I am not sure there is such a thing as an "off-peak" hour.
    QKShooter and airslot like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Usually optimistic QKS - No longer optimistic.
    Welcome to the first indication of...The Recession Of 2020 followed by the 2nd Great Depression of 2021.

Remember that you read it here first. This does NOT end well folks.
    We'll see. Im thinking Ill end this year a happy man, but everyone is in different shoes.
    https://www.db.com/newsroom_news/202...9-en-11507.htm
    QKShooter likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    That said, many aren't -- including those in the area who provide services to my children (Martial Arts, Ballet, etc). We are continuing to pay them regardless -- though most are trying to embrace technology in the interim.
    I would be curious to know how embracing technology allows martial arts and ballet teachers to perform their services. I guess I'm dating myself, but I got my black belt in Judo via correspondence courses.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The garbage collector is a non-life-sustaining job too, but I'm still glad they showed up for work today. Next week? Who knows? Of course, I don't think the guy riding the back of the truck has to worry about people getting too close.
    I was glad to see my garbage picked up this morning, too.
    But keeping things clean is keeping things healthy. I can see garbage disposal being considered life-sustaining and allowed to operate.

This morning I saw the florist truck out and about. Now that was directly listed in PA's list as being a business not supposed to be open. And I was supposed to pick up my taxes today, but when I called I was told the deadline has been extended and their office is not open to the public starting today, closing at noon until further notice. They were specifically on the list as not being allowed to be open and it seems they are closing as soon as they put things in order.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    So far for me, it's been a minor inconvenience. I suspect as it drags on, it will get worse. Before the clampdown started, I went on a Caribbean cruise and returned to a country that was changed in many ways. Fortunately, I work in the tech sector, and before my trip I had already planned to work from home for two weeks, so my self-imposed quarantine coincides with my original plans. I'm also fortunate in that I live a few minutes' walk from a nice running/biking/walking trail, so I can continue to get outside in the nice, new Spring weather for a bit. That does a lot to cure cabin fever!

I also subscribe to Hello Fresh, one of those home delivery food services that bundles food and recipes that you prepare yourself, which means I don't even really have to get to the store as often. Some of the local stores have now announced "senior shopping" hours, and even though I don't feel 68, I've learned to take advantage of my age when offered, so when I need to shop, I'll go then.

Friends have set up regular conference calls, which may for the time being, become the new "yard fence." At a scheduled time, we dial in and chat, keeping everyone abreast of our (admittedly sparse) comings and goings. (For those with an interest, there is a free service: https://www.freeconferencecall.com).

I'm staying upbeat. We'll get through this. These things have always run their course in the past. We may be overreacting, but I just keep looking to the end of it. At least I'm getting the opportunity to play more guitar and add some songs to my repertoire.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

I'm a respiratory therapist in a small rural hospital and my wife manages the imaging dept so, thankfully, we don't have to worry about our jobs. I'm not worried about the virus. I'm not worried about food, toilet paper, ammunition, etc. We have a small farm and we stay prepared with full freezers and a well stocked pantry. I have plenty of guns, plus cases of ammo left over from the 2016 election, never mind what I've bought since then.

I am worried and angry about the media blowing this up all out of proportion and now the government's crazy responses with business closures, limitations, and other examples of political overreach and what it's doing to the economy. I'm really pissed off about the stock market, we don't have huge amounts in our 401ks and we've still lost more than it would take to pay off the house. At this rate the damage to the economy, the job losses, the debt from the crazy ideas of trying to pay everyone in the nation will cripple this country. And the worst part is that it didn't have to be that way and that really irks the crap out of me.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator

Post Coronavirus Bill

From a source on the new CV-19 Bill:

Who Qualifies for Paid Leave Under the New Coronavirus Law (Note: even covers PT and Self-employed)?

It is the first time the U.S. will have broad federally mandated paid leave. But some will be excluded from the emergency measure.

The coronavirus emergency relief package, which became law Wednesday, gives many American workers paid leave if they need to take time off work because of the virus.

It is the first time the United States has had widespread federally mandated paid leave, and includes people who don’t typically get such benefits, like part-time and gig economy workers. But the measure excludes at least half of private-sector workers, including those at the country’s largest employers.

What type of paid leave does the law offer?

It gives qualified workers two weeks of paid sick leave if they are ill, quarantined or seeking diagnosis or preventive care for coronavirus, or if they are caring for sick family members. It gives 12 weeks of paid leave to people caring for children whose schools are closed or whose child care provider is unavailable because of coronavirus.

Which workers qualify?

Most workers at small and midsize companies and nonprofits can get the paid leave, as can government employees, as long as they’ve been employed at least 30 days.
    Which workers are excluded?

Those at companies with more than 500 people – 48 percent of American workers – are excluded. Workers at places with fewer than 50 employees – 27 percent of workers – are included, but the Labor Department could exempt small businesses if providing leave would put them out of business. Employers can also decline to give leave to workers on the front lines of the crisis: health care providers and emergency responders.

Are part-time and self-employed workers eligible?

Yes. Part-time workers will be paid the amount they typically earn in a two-week period. People who are self-employed – including gig economy workers like Uber drivers and Instacart shoppers – can also receive paid leave, assuming they pay taxes. They should calculate their average daily self-employment income for the year, then claim the amount they take as a tax credit (they can reduce their estimated quarterly tax payments in the meantime).

How much money do I get while on leave?

If you are sick or seeking care for yourself, you earn the full amount you are usually paid, up to a maximum of $511 a day. If you are caring for a sick family member or a child whose school or day care is closed, you earn two-thirds of your usual pay, up to a daily limit of $200.

How do I go about taking leave?

The Labor Department must issue guidelines by April 2 to assist employers in calculating how much paid leave their employees should get. After that, you should be able to simply notify your employer, take the leave and get paid the amount specified by the law.

How will businesses and nonprofits afford to pay workers on leave?

They will be reimbursed for the full amount within three months, in the form of a payroll tax credit. (The Trump administration has said it will advance the money earlier for employers that can’t wait that long.) The reimbursement will also cover the employer’s contribution to health insurance premiums during the leave. It’s fully refundable, which means that if the amount that employers pay workers who take leave is larger than what they owe in taxes, the government will send them a check for the remainder. (That goes for self-employed and gig economy workers, too.)

What if I work at a big company?

You can take any sick leave your company already offers. Eighty-nine percent of employees at these companies have paid sick leave, but rarely as long as two weeks, and low-wage workers are least likely to have it. (Some big companies, like Walmart and Target, have added paid sick leave for coronavirus.) Under a 1993 law, you’re eligible for 12 weeks of unpaid family and medical leave, as long as your company has at least 50 employees; you’ve worked there for a year; and you meet other qualifications.

Why are big companies excluded?

Congressional Republicans and the Trump administration said excluding large companies was a prerequisite to passing the bill, according to people briefed on the discussions. They also asked for other limits on who could receive leave. For example, the original bill passed by the House would have given workers 12 weeks of paid leave to care for themselves or sick family members, instead of two. Paid leave was the most contentious part of the bill, congressional aides said.

Is the paid leave permanent?

No. It’s meant as a response to coronavirus, and expires Dec. 31.

Is the government going to give workers other aid?

Yes. This package included other types of aid, including unemployment benefits, free coronavirus testing and food and medical aid. The Trump administration has asked Congress for $1 trillion to make direct payments to American taxpayers and to small businesses. And lawmakers are introducing other legislation, including a Democratic plan for more paid leave. The New York Times is running a hub for personal finance help during this crisis, with information about collecting unemployment, paying rent, paying bills and more.

Still lots of unknowns and murky details, but we’ll get more from the DOL by April 2.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 21st, 2020 at 08:13 AM.
    msgt/ret, PAcanis and QKShooter like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I woke up on the sunny side of the grass this morning so I am doing just fine. I died a couple of times back in 2006 so everyday I wake up desperately needing to pee is a gift. If the virus gets me I am grateful for all the pleasures, large and small, enjoyed during the 14 years of extra days. No complaints here. None at all.
    demanic, msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Senior Moderator

Thumbs up

It could be great:

Daily Wire

The two medications Paterson referred to are Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and HIV-suppressing combination lopinavir/ritonavir. Paterson told the outlet that it seemed reasonable to call the drugs “a treatment or a cure … It’s a potentially effective treatment. Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”
    QKShooter likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links