Will it get worse? - Page 12

Will it get worse?

This is a discussion on Will it get worse? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RScottie Hospitals cannot make that call, a DNR is a patient signed agreement. In a normal rational world. Do you consider the ...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree590Likes

Thread: Will it get worse?

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Hospitals cannot make that call, a DNR is a patient signed agreement.
    In a normal rational world. Do you consider the current times normal, people acting rationally? I think the great TP hunt proves that to be not the case.

I can easily see where this could happen. Triage--that one can wait, that one we can save, that one won't make it and moving on.
    GpTom and Rock and Glock like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The media is just shoveling bad news. But there is a lot of positive news coming out. This just yesterday....

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...2002387http://

....This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    (If facts eventually show this was manipulated in a lab or weaponized I would think the CCP would have a bounty on them)

The President hit the Chinese hard financially, big time! Billions. I think. So the above could be quite possible.

The President got into trouble with calling this pandemic, the Chinese Flu. One little statement I liked. A friend
    called it the "Kung Flu."

If you read my statements, you must remember my wife twisted her ankle in a fall 15 days ago, yesterday she ran up the stairs! Just about cured. We love being together, so no hardship being isolated, at home.
    The day before yesterday, an order texted to Cosco at 9 AM, had a grocery order delivered at 5 PM. Yesterday an order was ready at 3-30 PM at Wall-Mart, ready to be picked up, we went, the back hatch was lifted by the two young Ladys. Groceries poped in. All in plastic bags. Wiped all bags down with disinfectant, some stuff went in the freezer, some in the fridge. some in the pantry.

Armed with my trusty Glock 19 always.

A little advice on the ability to hit what you aim at! A trigger on a firearm is not a switch! Not to be snapped.
    Bring the pistol/ Rifle level with your master eye, or if you are like me, I shoot with both eyes open do that.

Compress the trigger, do not jerk it! Control the trigger, control the hit! Less than 10 ft. Headshots! More distance, upper chest, always double taps! At least.

Stay safe, keep healthy, be happy.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    No doubt. In about a week we surpassed France, Iran, Germany and Spain. We are catching up with Italy.

This is depressing, that Americans are so damn ignorant and self righteous.
    Not all Americans are like that. Most of us are decent caring people. The problem is that the brain dead, heartless ones are able to risk everybody's lives for a little fun. Like the spring break girl on the news when she was asked if she cared that she could be spreading a deadly disease. She said " I don't care this is our time to have fun."
    I had to reply about the Chinese Flu. What else do you call it when it comes from China just like all of the other viruses in the last fifty years? If the Chinese don't like it then they should clean up their act and quit infecting everybody with their diseases.
    We lived in a small town and my brother got what they called the Asiatic flu. The one that went around from 1956 to 1958. We were about junior high school age and he was the only one that got it in a rural town of about 150 people. It really baffled everybody where he got it. He wound up in the hospital about 20 miles from home and the doctors kept it contained very well in those days.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Most of the businesses around here are shut down. The bars and restaurants and grocery stores will carry out for those who are brave enough to trust that they don't have it. My neighbors are all working through this so far. One at a steel mill and another at a paint factory and another at a body shop. All vital industries I guess.
    Nearly everybody that I know of has a family member who works in a high risk place like a hospital or is a public servant. I have a daughter who works at a school in a suburb of Chicago and they still make her go in most days. Her husband is a police officer. My daughter-in-law, is a receptionist at a hospital. My wife and I are old high risk people so we stay at home and worry that our loved ones will contract this virus. If they do get it, we won't even be able to hug them good bye. That probably sounds like 95% of the people on the forum.

To be honest, I am less concerned about the current situation than I am about when this is over and there is another outbreak. I wonder how the government will handle a second wave that occurs several months down the road.

Are we going to continuously shut everything down? Is there going to be a better and more prepared plan?

My wife is a Nurse in the OR. With a halt in elective surgeries many have been helping out on the floors. My wife was screening people coming in to be tested. Of course we were worried about that increase in her exposure to others. But then she was blessed. A couple years ago while recovering from a surgery herself the hospital had her helping out in an office. Today due to her previous experience there she has been assigned that position once again. So while any amount of time at a hospital these days increases ones chance of being exposed, this office job takes her off the front line screening position she had been working.

And it gives her some more time to network while looking for future job possibilities. OR shifts are typically 10-12 hours. While she's not "old" she's no spring chicken and those long hours take a toll (not to mention extra on-call hours for emergencies). It might make sense to get into something steady even if it means less pay to maintain your own health and well being.
    Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    To be honest, I am less concerned about the current situation than I am about when this is over and there is another outbreak. I wonder how the government will handle a second wave that occurs several months down the road.

Are we going to continuously shut everything down? Is there going to be a better and more prepared plan?
    As long as Donald Trump is president, everything that can be seen as taking him down will escalate conditions. I don't envy the president having to juggle public perception and political witchery. He says he wants the country open and operational by Easter and gets slammed for it. From the other side, he gets slammed for not acting soon enough or forcefully enough. No one remembers the Swine Flu of 2009, where more than 60 million Americans were infected, and over 12,000 died. Why don't we remember? Because a Democrat was president, and since he was a god, no one could complain that he didn't act fast enough.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    The major consensus is this bug does not like heat! We are coming on our summer months! I wonder what affects over 100F for a few days will do? If anything. 7-15 AM, my wife is still fast asleep. I have been awake for 2 hours, and will try for a couple more hours, I think. At 84 YOA, I can if I want. Our cereal breakfasts (According to my better half, is covered for 3 months) We use Soy milk, have done for a few years. And have 3 cases of 12 packs, no need to keep it in the fridge. About that same amount of coffee! As we say, in Liverpool "Can't be bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    As long as Donald Trump is president, everything that can be seen as taking him down will escalate conditions. I don't envy the president having to juggle public perception and political witchery. He says he wants the country open and operational by Easter and gets slammed for it. From the other side, he gets slammed for not acting soon enough or forcefully enough. No one remembers the Swine Flu of 2009, where more than 60 million Americans were infected, and over 12,000 died. Why don't we remember? Because a Democrat was president, and since he was a god, no one could complain that he didn't act fast enough.
    Depending on which stats you believe, there are some differences in the Swine Flu and COVID-19. Notably the mortality rate (.02 vs 2 percent) and the ability for the virus to spread. The death total was for a period of at least 12 months I believe. Corona has expecations of 40 to 200K. And if Trump and individual Governers did not encourage social distancing early, this would be far wosre than the Swine Flu.

The only thing I ask of Trump is to be consistent. If you do not know for certain about an expectation, do not set one and hope it works out.

I know it is a changing situation, but he started off with it is no big deal, to we will be this for a long time, to we will get things back to pseudo normal by Easter, and now it is Apr 30 with expectation it will be a longer recovery.

If Trump is getting slammed, it is not hurting him in the polls which shows his popularity is up. That is really what he cares about.

On a positive note: my wife was offered 4K per week to go to NY to help out. She is a retired nurse and they are offering that to her to go back to work. Of course, she won't, we are fine with our finances. But good for people that need the cash and willing to accept the risk.
    Rock and Glock, GpTom and airslot like this.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Depending on which stats you believe, there are some differences in the Swine Flu and COVID-19. Notably the mortality rate (.02 vs 2 percent) and the ability for the virus to spread. The death total was for a period of at least 12 months I believe. Corona has expecations of 40 to 200K. And if Trump and individual Governers did not encourage social distancing early, this would be far wosre than the Swine Flu.

The only thing I ask of Trump is to be consistent. If you do not know for certain about an expectation, do not set one and hope it works out.

I know it is a changing situation, but he started off with it is no big deal, to we will be this for a long time, to we will get things back to pseudo normal by Easter, and now it is Apr 30 with expectation it will be a longer recovery.

If Trump is getting slammed, it is not hurting him in the polls which shows his popularity is up. That is really what he cares about.

On a positive note: my wife was offered 4K per week to go to NY to help out. She is a retired nurse and they are offering that to her to go back to work. Of course, she won't, we are fine with our finances. But good for people that need the cash and willing to accept the risk.
    No arguments there. But who recalls Bill de Blasio and fellow New Yorkers giving the coronavirus the pooh-pooh? "Go to the theaters," they said. "Enjoy the parade," they said. "Keep the schools open," they said. Yet, no one calls them to task on it.

As my favorite radio personality says, "If it weren't for double standards, the Left would have no standards at all."
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Oh Oh
    VA called and wants wifey in tomorrow to test for the kootie. She was very ill the end of February and slowly got better over the next few weeks during which time I was ill. Her sick time lasted 3-4 weeks with a cough still lingering, I was ill for a week with a cough lasting another week. We wrote it off to flu. Although lately we are wondering if we might have had something else.

Wifey continued to seek help for the persistant cough including chest X-rays last week. Perhaps the results of those xrays are driving the VA request to see her tomorrow morning?
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^ Godspeed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    The x-rays may have shown symptoms of bronchitis or pnuemonia. Once they get to a certain point, they can be seen via x-ray. I learned that about pnuemonia when I was 11. Oddly enough, that was also the only time I had that crap. Got it really bad. I had fluid in my lungs.
    GpTom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I am having a change of heart.
    After reading all the other posts I have come to the conclusion that my thinking was flawed.
    Any restrictions on our freedoms. Travel, closing private business etc. needs to be voluntary not mandated by the government.
    Fear affected my thinking, fear for my family and my finances.
    The same government that I do not trust with my second amendment protections I was willing to trust them with my first amendment rights.
    That is what I love about DC. Through our discourse we some times come to a different conclusion than when we started to think about the problem.
    Thank y'all.
    It is a really tough situation and I understand where you were coming from. It bothers me that we have people right now driving from some of the hottest zones in the country to our area which is an area that does not have a lot of cases. They then leave their 2nd home up here to drive to the local store to get a cup of coffee in the mornings. They have a right to do that but does not mean it is right. I have a right to stop at the grocery store every day and get what ever we are in the mood for but choose not too mostly because we never do that anyway but even though are trips to grocery stores are limited anyways we have limited them even more.

I have the right to have a party this weekend and invite 50 friends but no way in the world would I do it. Unfortunately just like the 2A quite often we are at the mercy of decisions being made by people less responsible than we are.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links