Mexicans close border on Americans

This is a discussion on Mexicans close border on Americans within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nuts. Mexican protesters have shut a US southern border crossing amid fears that untested American travellers will spread coronavirus. Residents in Sonora, south of the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Mexicans close border on Americans

Nuts.
    Mexican protesters have shut a US southern border crossing amid fears that untested American travellers will spread coronavirus.

Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.

They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".

Mexico has fewer than 500 confirmed Covid-19 cases and the US over 65,000.

The border is supposed to be closed to all except "essential" business, but protesters said there has been little enforcement and no testing by authorities.

The blockade was led by members of a Sonora-based group, Health and Life, who called for medical testing to be done on anyone who crosses from the US into Mexico.

Jose Luis Hernandez, a group member, told the Arizona Republic: "There are no health screenings by the federal government to deal with this pandemic. That's why we're here in Nogales. We've taken this action to call on the Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador to act now."

The Mexican president has been criticised for his response to the pandemic, as has US President Donald Trump.

Mr Hernandez said the Wednesday demonstrations were a "first warning" to Mr Lopez Obrador, popularly known by his initials, Amlo.

The group has called for enforcement of the crossing ban on all US or Mexican citizens for tourism or medical reasons, including those who cross the border every day to attend school or work in the US.

Authorities must also conduct medical testing on Mexicans deported from the US, they said.

The group have vowed to block the DeConcini checkpoint again after shutting it down on Wednesday afternoon.

President Trump has made cutting the number of people crossing the border from Mexico into the US a centrepiece of his administration. He blames border-crossers from the south for bringing economic and social problems into the US.

He announced last week that the frontier was to close due to coronavirus.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656
    Mike1956 and airslot like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Trump was right--Mexico will pay for the wall!
    OD*, MMinSC, sdprof and 8 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That's ironic. Mexico has taken almost no precautions for the pandemic. No sheltering at all. Their president has said there is no need and that they have adequate medical faculties, which in fact, they do not. They are going to get hit hard by this thing and this is them trying to set up in advance that the US is to blame.

Maybe THEY should build a wall!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I respect the right of a country to close their border.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Didn’t think I’d see the day this would happen.

But seriously, good for them! Every country but ours is looking out for its own best interest. I don’t want them bringing the virus over here. I don’t blame them for not wanting us to bring it there.
    MB53, airslot and M1911A1 like this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    The irony of this situation just can't be emphasized enough. The Mexican government, which has almost no power throughout most of the warring nation, is closing the border? The feudal nations, cartels, are not stopping anything. Money talks, nothing else matters. @jmf552 pointed out the other glaring issues that Mexico has.

What a joke. I too respect the right of a nation to secure their borders. I just wish the US politicians as a whole had enough brains to want to do the same.
    M1911A1, surefire7 and OD* like this.

Shoes on the other foot now.
    OD* likes this.

Maybe they will build a wall to keep us out!
    Arejay, msgt/ret, SFury and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Sounds good Americans should do what they ask.
    We should quit spending money in Mexico.
    And the illegals here should not be able to send the dirty filthy virus ladened money back to Mexico.
    airslot, M1911A1 and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Yeah border is pretty much closed as it is now.
    Kilted is right we should arrest and imprison all Americans who hire illegals!!! Five years minimum.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Being close to that border, my concern is that C19 will run rampant south of the river, then jump across and cause a second wave of infections here. Sure, foot and car traffic has been drastically reduced, but truck and rail commercial traffic continues in large volume.

As poorly prepared as we were, Mexico is far behind us. Their bold talk of it being under control there is laughable. Within weeks, I expect it to get severe over there.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Being close to that border, my concern is that C19 will run rampant south of the river, then jump across and cause a second wave of infections here. Sure, foot and car traffic has been drastically reduced, but truck and rail commercial traffic continues in large volume.

As poorly prepared as we were, Mexico is far behind us. Their bold talk of it being under control there is laughable. Within weeks, I expect it to get severe over there.
    You are so true. The Corona Caravans will be heading our way if Mexico gets hit hard.
    No one goes to Mexico for high quality medical procedures,just cheap Botox and face jobs
    Rabbit212 and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    airslot likes this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Works for me.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Who would want to go to Mexico?
    airslot and CDW4ME like this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links