Baloney at the Gun Counter? - Page 3

Baloney at the Gun Counter?

This is a discussion on Baloney at the Gun Counter? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to say that among gun enthusiasts, way too many seem to think they are an expert. After I started to hang around a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree398Likes

Thread: Baloney at the Gun Counter?

I used to say that among gun enthusiasts, way too many seem to think they are an expert. After I started to hang around a local gunsmith he said he wanted me to take this test. It was designed to show all the "experts" just how much they really didn't know. Sort of a humbling exercise. One question I remember getting hung up on was about the rebated rim on the .284 Winchester. This was back in the 80's.

He was actually taken to court once by a customer whom he refused to make a custom handgun for. He told me that he didn't believe the man would be safe with what he wanted. Strange as it would seem today, the courts would not let him discriminate.
    OD*, Chaplain Scott and OldChap like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

VIP Member
    My story is about a gun store clerk. I still frequent the store, but avoid this guy as much as possible.

I went in and asked to handle an EMP in the gun case. BTW, the guy was wearing a jacket with a (sorry, I've never served, so I can't read the patches.) military patch on the shoulder/sleeve. As soon as he handed me the EMP, he said "You're holding it in the wrong hand, you'll never hit anything holding it like that." He then proceeded to tell/show me the "proper" way to hold the pistol. One of the other clerks kind of nudged him and whispered to him "I think he's left-handed, that's a CZ on his left hip." At that point the clueless clerk told me I would never shoot well unless I changed to right-hand carry, after all, "nobody that's any good shoots left-handed."

Yeah, it's not always the customer.
    msgt/ret, halem1, airslot and 9 others like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have heard some of the normal nonsense.... but at Academy.. my husband sent me to get some powder.. Idiot behind the gun counter. ďany of that over there will work.Ē .. I like to think I saved a life that day.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    True the .22 is the number one killer, but only due to volume. And its better than a .000 caliber or a BB gun. But I'd rather have one that has a decent chance of stopping in one shot, AKA, any of the service rounds.

And let's see, the 5.56/.223 is semi-correct. It IS safe to put 5.56 rounds through a .223, IF it's a .223 Wylde. And a particular brand/model 5.56 [I]might[I] run through that ordinary .223 you have, but I sure wouldn't try it. .223 through a 5.56? Yup.
    OldChap and Kilowatt3 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    Applies everywhere. Sooner or later the folks who make stuff up in order to not look stupid will be discovered, and considered unreliable (and probably stupid).
    A problem with the mind "my own business" approach is the damage that can be done in the mean time. Unfortunately, the above doesn't seem to apply to politicians!
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself Ė "hands behind the back" Ė toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbadger View Post
    Here you are...apparently from Mark Twain.
    It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so.
    Just like anytime you hear "...and that's a FACT!" you should probably assume otherwise!
    airslot, msgt/ret, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My all time favorite is... A clerk was showing a striker fired handgun, and the customer ask's about the little kydex trigger cover.[ for pocket carry] The Clerk says" thats a neck holster!" DR

I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" by any stretch of the imagination, rather I would say experienced. I consider myself a continual scholar of firearms and have a love for oddball stuff. For me, firearms are more of a practice than a level of achievement. Its similar to a medical practice in some regards. I have a decent amount of firearms experience informal and formal but don't go to the gun shop to stroke the ego. I have taken the opportunity once in a blue moon to educate a counter salesman on a specific detail that they didn't understand but I try to just have polite conversation. I am really just there to look at what's new and hear some of the conversations. I usually only get involved if I hear something that would create a safety hazard like wrong caliber for said firearm. The more humble you can be the less crow you have to eat. Even now I am still learning new things and have picked up some real treasures listening to some of the experienced sales guys and customers, not the know-it-alls.
    OD*, msgt/ret, rainmaker and 3 others like this.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    My favorite load of gunshop ....

Is, "You really need a 45ACP. You shoot someone in the arm with that thing and it will blow their arm off and kill them deader than a door nail."

I always wondered what it was about door nails that made them appear dead!
    I've run every test I can think of, and I can't see roofing nails or framing nails to be any more dead or alive than door nails.
    msgt/ret, OldChap and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I've run every test I can think of, and I can't see roofing nails or framing nails to be any more dead or alive than door nails.
    In A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens wrote about the questionable phrase, ďdead as a doornail,Ē saying:

Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I donít mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Countryís done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
    This trivia factoid brought to you by:

The Origin of the Phrase "As Dead as a Doornail"

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

I try and learn something new everyday! That may be it for today! DR
    OldChap, Kilowatt3 and airslot like this.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Baloney at the gun counter? No wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking in the lunch meat cooler.

I dislike the ones behind the counter that believe a "Block" is the only gun to have. You ask about another brand or a da/sa and they go back to a "Block".

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

My Seabee dad taught me how to clench nails.
    airslot, dangerranger and OD* like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The .357 Magnum will split a car's engine block.
    airslot likes this.
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links