New Nornal for 2A and Crime after Coronapocalypse?

This is a discussion on New Nornal for 2A and Crime after Coronapocalypse? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It’s likely a new normal will emerge for how we as a society handle this and other viruses. How do you think the anti-2A crowd ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: New Nornal for 2A and Crime after Coronapocalypse?

It’s likely a new normal will emerge for how we as a society handle this and other viruses.

How do you think the anti-2A crowd will try to capitalize on this?

How might criminals change behaviors if people continue to spend more time away from large gatherings?

How might business and shopping models change, and how might that affect personal defense?

Just pondering things over lunch while waiting at the laundromat, and curious what brighter minds think.
    OD*, Glock2201, QKShooter and 6 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Well the virus has resulted in a new form of gun control in town. In some States gun stores have been decreed "Non essential" businesses and police depts. now say they can't give out purchase permits (Michigan) because staffing is so low.

Stopping the sales is one way of controlling how many guns are bought. And the anti gunners are paying attention so I expect zoning laws making gun stores illegal or almost impossible to get business licenses/permits for to start popping up after the virus is gone.

Oh, and I've never been accused of having a "bright mind".
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

The world and this country is going to do what ever the forces that influence them the most lead them to. The obvious trends are not good. Those who are called by His name though should take notice and turn.
    OD*, Struckat, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

This bright mind hopefully sees a push in legislatures to expressly prohibit restrictions and permitting during so-called "state-of-emergency" episodes. Call me an optimist.

(No! Don't do that!)
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The cynic in me has to wonder how much they are testing to see exactly how far they can go when it comes to infringing on people's rights. I said the same thing when they were searching for the marathon bomber they took alive.
    OldVet, Bikenut, OD* and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This bright mind hopefully sees a push in legislatures to expressly prohibit restrictions and permitting during so-called "state-of-emergency" episodes. Call me an optimist.

(No! Don't do that!)
    We shouldn't be required to have permits.
    Bikenut, OD*, airslot and 3 others like this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    We shouldn't be required to have permits.
    That's a bit like wishing in one hand and crapping in the other to see which gets filled first. It is what it is, and we can hope to get more legislators leaning in the "right" direction.

There's the curmudgeon in me getting out of the house.
    maxwell97, OD*, airslot and 3 others like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    The cynic in me has to wonder how much they are testing to see exactly how far they can go when it comes to infringing on people's rights.
    You bet! Many in positions of power are finding out just how far they can go and get away with it. Scared people are willing to give up rights for the "common good".

I see more people believing that if the government is doing something that would normally be questioned as overreach now thinking that the government knows what's best for us all.

Historically, times when there is general fear are also times when more totalitarian governments seize power. Not necessarily all at once but in steps.
    Bikenut, OD*, airslot and 2 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

(No! Don't do that!)
    Gun Owners of Maine already has a small working group developing our response - some additional verbiage in existing statutes. Now is the time to push your state organization forward. The issue is the Governor's power under the Emergency Act to classify a LGS, Kittery Trading Post, or similar as "non-essential" thus requiring closing during the duration of the declared emergency. Some LGS are open in defiance of the order.

GOME

Retail shopping models have already changed. We now have pickup at the door after calling in a credit card, on-line retail expanding even as Amazon struggles, and reduced travel in the short term. Car hops deliver food to cars now after cashless digital payments.

Entertainment is being driven further on-line, and technology models are stressed as 5G roll-outs are pressured. Movies will be released straight to streaming. Work at home technologies will sky-rocket.

The thugs and gangs and kids will adapt. They will seek and identify the easiest targets quickly. I would assume at some point the violence will escalate. Home invasion of the elderly and infirm house-bound?

Domestic violence will rise.

Wide scale social unrest will be non-existent. We all do wish the snowflakes, Mad Mom's, pink knit hats, and Antifa would all have mass rallies and calls to actions. That would be a sight to behold.

On a positive note, the medical field and the medical professionals are responding in an amazing fashion. We will see some amazing developments come out of this pandemic.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Gun Owners of Maine already has a small working group developing our response - some additional verbiage in existing statutes. Now is the time to push your state organization forward. The issue is the Governor's power under the Emergency Act to classify a LGS, Kittery Trading Post, or similar as "non-essential" thus requiring closing during the duration of the declared emergency. Some LGS are open in defiance of the order.

GOME
    So . . . if one belongs to GOME, does that make them a "GOMER"?

I think it's likely, within a year or so, there will either be a vaccine or very effective treatments for COVID-19, and soon after it will be back to business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I see more people believing that if the government is doing something that would normally be questioned as overreach now thinking that the government knows what's best for us all.
    I disagree. My feeling from it is that people recognize it's a time of emergency, that measures that would normally be unacceptable are currently appropriate, and expect that when the emergency passes those measures will be ended.
    jmf552, Rock and Glock and mkh like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I think most of what the government is doing now is well intended, as informed as facts allow and right in line with what I pay my taxes for. Is that because I trust the government? Heck no!!! But I believe that politicians know when all eyes are on them. They know when they are in a situation where they will be judged by the outcome of their actions. The electorate should be putting them in that situation all the time, but we fail to do so. But in this situation, there will be no place to hide. This situation will make or break political careers and change election outcomes. Politicians will be judged by striking a balance between the economy and public health. All the other political arguments will take a backseat.

I have seen some politicians trying to use this situation against the RTKABA. But most of what I have seen is set up to be temporary. That is not excuse, but it makes a difference for the future. However, I have also seen pro-RTKABA activists using this crisis also. There is a group now that is lobbying to grant over-the-road truckers permission to concealed carry in any state. I get why those truckers are at risk, but I am against any gun permissions that favor special groups. We should all be able to carry in any state.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

1. Lot more states will push for CCW being ok for NCIC checks ( see the NCIC shutdowns and slowdown)
    2. You will see way more spliting .People will be either A. in the camp of this is good guns bad or B. crap no guns all the criminal releses need gun ..Wait what I have to wait 10 days and can only buy this ..I am votting Rep.
    3. Right now we are seeing a lot of cop slow down due to sick leave , not wanting to be sick ..So a lot of non perp is still on scene calls wont be anwered for a while I would guess . And couple with more "low risk " ciminals gettng out could be intersting as it will tye into 1 and 2 .

AZ has said gun stores are esntaly ..I agree with this in some ways ...Yes not a need surival iteam but for states with larger cities strugling with less cops and more cime it might be handy
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    My feeling from it is that people recognize it's a time of emergency, that measures that would normally be unacceptable are currently appropriate, and expect that when the emergency passes those measures will be ended.
    I agree, it seems there's generally an acceptance among my neighbors (big online community) that imposed restrictions are needed, but will go away at some point.

Knowing how government powers tend to grow, however, makes me concerned about incremental and creeping authoritarian rules that will be put in place for the next round. News laws for rapid control measures may be ripe for abuse.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Next month will be the real test of all this. That is when it is supposed to be its worst. If it is going to be a disaster, it will be in April. If it is a disaster, the media, the Democrats and possibly the majority of public opinion will say the government didn't do enough and that will give politicians a blank check to do whatever they want. If it is not a disaster, everyone will say what was done was an overreaction and start to blame the government for the economy. There is no good outcome here. But I think next month will tell the tale. Right now, it is all speculation, even from the experts.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links