Coping with self quarantine!

This is a discussion on Coping with self quarantine! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all must face certain deprivations.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Coping with self quarantine!

We all must face certain deprivations....

Coping with self quarantine!-91362997_2210184535803030_9138357913759252480_o.jpg
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Friend I don’t think everybody is exactly what cha call “coping”; seems a lot in RL and the net are freaked pretty bad. Hard not to be irritable in times like these.

we’re “tolerating” the situation and trying to use valuable time we didn’t expect. CWO has gotten a lot of painting done!
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

Sister, I hear you. We’re doing our best to get outdoors daily, yet stay away from folks. It’s a sad way to live. Right now my wife is watching Catholic mass on the internet. Tomorrow she’s hitting senior hour at the market since she is less prone to respiratory issues than I. We’re hoping to get to the range in the afternoon so she can get some time om our home defense shotgun.
    airslot, Sister and dangerranger like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    Gramps washed all of our windows today, both inside and out. Hooray!!!!!!! We have very few windows - mostly we have patio doors. In a way they are easier to clean than windows with lots of little panes in them. Then he took his truck to the car wash and got it all shiny bright and clean.

There are only so many computer card games to play and/or you tube videos to watch and then you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! He's been driving to the outdoor range to shoot a few rounds from one gun or another, but I reminded him that once our ammo is gone we might not be able to replace it. He's been checking supply and current prices and is totally shocked at the prices where there is any to be had, compared to just a month or two ago: We are seeing 60% to 70% increase in prices for brass cased range ammo in our normal calibers and that includes .22lr.

As for me: After being so sick with that horrible "old fashioned head and chest cold" for what seemed like forever, I actually got all washed and dressed today and got outside for a short walk. Boy, did that feel great! Yesterday I was able to be out and pulled a few weeds and that was excellent also.
    Sister, MMinSC, airslot and 6 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member

Hearts in the windows

I just got an email from my friend in Virginia. Her neighborhood was one of many featured in CNN and other national news stories of people in self quarantine who are making hearts - out of paper or whatever, and putting hearts in all their windows to reach out to others. I think this is really great! Some are painting hearts on their windows with craft paint, but most are using paper of all colors and patterns.

It's called "Spread the love, not the germs!"

The way our condos are built, no windows show from the street, but one of our wonderful neighbors came around with small loaves of homemade pumpkin bread to share "her heart" with us!

==================

I'm about to set up my indoor BB/pellet gun range. Target at one end of the hall and shooting bench/kitchen table at the other end. I'll try lighting kitchen matches again.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

OK I'm going to admit to something I hope my wife never reads!
    I'm new to retirement, and then this Quarantine.... I'm used to being away for 10 hours of every day, My wife Bless her heart, Normally tells me everything that went on at home while I was gone. But right now I'm home all day and can see what happens as it happens....So She doesn't have anything that I haven't seen. She has started telling me about everything her cat has done! I'm OK with a 10 min rundown everyday, But every 10 min is getting to be too much!

I know, two more weeks and we can both get out a little and have something new to talk about! DR
    airslot, Sister, graydude and 5 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    OK I'm going to admit to something I hope my wife never reads!
    I'm new to retirement, and then this Quarantine....
    I have known several women who had to GET OUT AND GET A JOB to get away from their husbands after the guys retired. They were hanging around, hovering, and generally being maddening. So to save sanity and the marriage the wife went to work - outside the home!

==================

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I'm about to set up my indoor BB/pellet gun range. Target at one end of the hall and shooting bench/kitchen table at the other end. I'll try lighting kitchen matches again.
    If those goes on any longer, we will have to set up a 10 meter competition on the forum.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I have known several women who had to GET OUT AND GET A JOB to get away from their husbands after the guys retired. They were hanging around, hovering, and generally being maddening. So to save sanity and the marriage the wife went to work - outside the home!
    Name:  OIP (7).jpg
Views: 30
Size:  10.2 KB
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    We all must face certain deprivations....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91362997_2210184535803030_9138357913759252480_o.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	319724
    Still less e. coli infection than the romaine we usually get.
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    In a rare incident of total sanity our benevolent government declared liquor stores to be essential, not subject to closure orders. I am fairly certain this was done primarily to keep the tax dollars flowing (federal excise tax, state alcohol tax, sales taxes, etc), but I am very happy with that decision.

I can still go to the grocery store, and there are dozens within an hour's drive. No canned goods, no pasta, no dry beans, very little selection in the meat aisle or the dairy case, but I get a good walk in the parking lot and around the stores. Drive-thru at the bank is still open, and the tellers are kind of cute in their face masks and rubber gloves (I remember just a couple of weeks ago when masks and gloves were frowned upon in the banks).

The US Mail is still arriving. End of the first quarter today, so I can look forward to the quarterly statements from my investment brokers and retirement funds. I expect to need another trip to the liquor store after that experience.

My club is closed down, but I have volunteered as part of the Security Committee, so I can stop in, check all the doors and windows, make sure the alarm system is functioning properly, keep an eye on the liquor inventory, check the expiration dates on the beer, discourage the neighborhood riff-raff that likes to hang around. I miss the daily poker games and sitting on the patio in the afternoons with old friends, but sacrifices must be made during this crisis. I'm glad I can help, especially making sure that none of the beer spoils or goes to waste.

I was enjoying my indoor range membership. Usually able to come and go 24/7 with my membership card and door code, but received an email a couple days ago they have shut it down. There are a few thousand rounds of fired brass on hand so I will probably spend a little more time reloading ammo, looking forward to the next range trip.

This "retirement" gig was just becoming enjoyable, then along comes a pandemic! I do my best, but the stress could begin to be troublesome before long. When the going gets tough the tough get bored to tears hanging around the house.

My wife really needed to get out of the house for something other than a trip to the supermarket. We took a little trip out into the desert in the Phoenix area. we saw a few people on the trail, but there were lots of cars parked along the highway near the recreation area that had motor vehicle accessibility closed off. Most of the recreation areas in the Tonto National Forest seemed to be closed. There was a lot of traffic on the road, motorcycles and side by sides included. A lot of people were out playing. Good sign.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

I found a neat little series of short films on Youtube. Look up "Omeleto" and see what it offers. They are very well done, like an modern-day Twilight Zone.

G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have been retired for a few years now, so not much has changed in that respect. My wife works from home anyway, and has for about 15 years now, so not much has changed in that respect. I spent my Navy years on ballistic missile submarines, out on patrol for 60-75 days at a time, so I'm sort of used to being cooped up. The fact that we have enough acreage that we can still target shoot is a plus. The fact that I can still go get groceries is a plus. I'll not go inside unless absolutely necessary, though. We have placed our 'click list' order for Kroger, and it will be available for pickup on Friday. We have enough of the big stuff to last a while, though.

I have enough to do to keep myself busy, and then some. The one thing I miss is worship service. Streaming is great, but it's not the same as being in the house of the Lord with the rest of the saints, at least to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links