Origin of Corona Virus

Origin of Corona Virus

This is a discussion on Origin of Corona Virus within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shared by a friend today. From bats to human lungs, the evolution of a corona virus. Worth the read....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Origin of Corona Virus

Origin of Corona Virus

Shared by a friend today.

From bats to human lungs, the evolution of a corona virus.

Worth the read.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

From the article:
    Perhaps a weary traveller rubbed his eyes, or scratched his nose, or was anxiously, unconsciously, biting his fingernails. One tiny, invisible blob of virus. One human face. And here we are, battling a global pandemic.
    Or a wild animal was illegally sold in a Chinese market and a person came in contact with the inflected animal.
    airslot likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Thanks for posting that. Very informative.

From your linked article:

"Analyses of the SARS-CoV-2 genome indicate a single spillover event, meaning the virus jumped only once from an animal to a person, which makes it likely that the virus was circulating among people before December."

A brutal lesson for mankind on how quickly a virus can jump continents and span the globe when we have no immunity.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Is there any truth to the story I heard that the test animals from the virus lab were sold in that same market?
    MMinSC likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

I just now got around to listening to Tucker Carlson tonight and he's talking about the origins of the virus and brings up an another two month old paper - probably the one I heard about a month ago - about the virus labs in Wuhon. Lately I'm a little skeptical of the New Yorker even though this article is loaded with information.
    airslot, Sister and MMinSC like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    From the article:

Or a wild animal was illegally sold in a Chinese market and a person came in contact with the inflected animal.
    I read earlier the virus may have been passed on from bush meat (bats, pangolins, etc.) in a wet market in Wuhan. Some things are just not fit for consumption.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

VIP Member
    Not sure of the origins.
    One thing I am sure about is that the CHICOM's are totally responsible for sitting on this for a month or more, allowing people in and out the the country to infect the entire world.
    They should be brought up on charges at the Hague for crimes against humanity.
    If you want to talk about Russian collusion, what about Chinese collusion in the 2020 elections.
    They have tanked our economy, are doing everything to make the current administration look bad.
    They would much more like Biden in the WH. Then it could be business as usual for them.

Regardless of where the virus originated and how, it was bound to have happened. Let us say that something got "loose" from Fort Detrick. Do you honestly believe that the US Government, no matter who the POTUS was, would acknowledge it right away? Heck, as of three weeks ago, Trump was minimizing this and saying it was just the flu. I am not dogging him, just saying that if the current POTUS was minimizing the effects CORONA might have, do you really honestly believe we would tell the world on day 1 or even day 21 that we had a biological pathogen escape from one our most secure facilities?

This is Government 101 for any country. Hide, Diminish, Place Blame, then rinse and repeat.

Senior Moderator
    After years of further bat surveillance, researchers eventually found the direct coronavirus antecedent to sars, as well as hundreds of other coronaviruses circulating among some of the fourteen hundred bats species that live on six continents. Coronaviruses, and other virus families, it turns out, have been co-evolving with bats for the entire span of human civilization, and possibly much longer. As the coronavirus family grows, different strains simultaneously co-infect individual bats, turning their little bodies into virus blenders, creating new strains of every sort, some more powerful than others. This process happens without making bats sick—a phenomenon that scientists have linked to bats’ singular ability, among mammals, to fly. The feat takes a severe toll, such that their immune systems have evolved a better way to repair cell damage and to fight off viruses without provoking further inflammation. But when these viruses leap into a new species—whether a pangolin or a civet or a human—the result can be severe, sometimes deadly, sickness.
    Virus Blenders.

Maybe Dracula was on to something.

That is a super interesting article.

The "early" sites of infection outbreaks are starting to tighten up restrictions, even as their statistics improve. It appears they may fear a second wave. I don't know if it is expectation that virus has mutated more, or is just finding new host populations.

As COVID-19 is an an RNA virus, we need to be careful:

RNA viruses, on the other hand, have simpler structures and mutate rapidly. “Viruses mutate quickly, and they can retain advantageous traits,” Epstein told me. “A virus that’s more promiscuous, more generalist, that can inhabit and propagate in lots of other hosts ultimately has a better chance of surviving.” They also tend to cause epidemics—such as measles, Ebola, Zika, and a raft of respiratory infections, including influenza and coronaviruses.

sars is closely related to the new virus we currently face. Whereas common-cold coronaviruses tend to infect only the upper respiratory tract (mainly the nose and throat), making them highly contagious, sars primarily infects the lower respiratory system (the lungs), and therefore causes a much more lethal disease, with a fatality rate of approximately ten per cent. (mers, which emerged in Saudi Arabia, in 2012, and was transmitted from bats to camels to people, also caused severe disease in the lower respiratory system, with a thirty-seven per cent fatality rate.) sars-CoV-2 behaves like a monstrous mutant hybrid of all the human coronaviruses that came before it. It can infect and replicate throughout our airways. “That’s why it is so bad,” Stanley Perlman, a professor of microbiology and immunology who has been studying coronaviruses for more than three decades, told me. “It has the lower-respiratory severity of sars and mers coronaviruses, and the transmissibility of cold coronaviruses.”
    Bad news right there, and note the connection to bats again, in MERS.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Excellent read. Thanks for posting it.
    airslot likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Several more devastating animal to man diseases. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Gonorrhea - cattle
    Aids - monkeys
    Syphilis- sheep (never proven)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@Osprey the origin does matter. If we know that these black market animals are being stored, sold, and consumed in these filthy markets that are high risks for cross contamination, then we know that these types of infections are not inevitable. It is not coincidental that these last global infections all came from China.

Our president took this more seriously than the media and other countries. He was called racist for it.
    The government engineered weapon conspiracy theory is as invalid. But I have popcorn, so keep going with that.
    airslot and duane_wade like this.
    Psalm 144:1

MJK
    Like influenza, the “cat’s out of the bag.” Time to shift to clinical treatments and wind down the overreactions which are destroying citizens’ livelihoods and taking a human toll far greater than the virus.

Hysteria is transmitted much more readily than SARS-CoV-2.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Im still not ruling out the possibility that it was made here in the US. I doubt we will ever know the truth about how it came to be.
    Osprey likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    @Osprey the origin does matter. If we know that these black market animals are being stored, sold, and consumed in these filthy markets that are high risks for cross contamination, then we know that these types of infections are not inevitable. It is not coincidental that these last global infections all came from China.

Our president took this more seriously than the media and other countries. He was called racist for it.
    The government engineered weapon conspiracy theory is as invalid. But I have popcorn, so keep going with that.
    I am not going to divert the thread with quotes and he said/she said. So I will leave it at that.

The second line in bold...wow. That came out of left field. I never mentioned anything about a conspiracy or government-engineered weapon. Not sure where that comes from. I mentioned a hypothetical IF we had let loose a pathogen by accident, I highly doubt we would be forthcoming.
    Last edited by Osprey; April 1st, 2020 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links