Recommend Some Good Books - Page 3

Recommend Some Good Books

This is a discussion on Recommend Some Good Books within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ^^^^ Ambrose!...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Recommend Some Good Books

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^ Ambrose!
    DZUS likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I am a fan of history books regarding Rev War era and naval/ maritime history.
    I also like historical fiction.
    Patrick O’Brian series of books are literary gold. Jack Aubrey of The Royal Navy.
    James Nelson for War of Independence trilogy on our nation’s first navy.
    I know very boring
    DZUS and MMinSC like this.

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    From the above, the members on this fine forum are quite well-read! I find this impressive, but not at all surprising.

I will add just a few authors from decades past.

Ernest K Gann (The High and the Mighty, Blaze of Noon, and Fate is the Hunter.) You will love these literary chestnuts about early aviation.

And, a classic that you all have most likely read, Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny.

Many, many other authors and titles that will occur to us by tomorrow.

Great thread!
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I heartily concur with most of the above and will add:

Connie Willis, who writes historical fiction; especially any of her Oxford Time Travel Collection:

Doomsday Book (about the plague era) or FireWatch and Blackout/All Clear, about life in wartime London during the nightly bombings.

Winston Churchill's autobiogrphy

C.J. Cherryh writes science fiction; I recommend all of her "Atevi" series which deals with human interaction with an alien race from the point of view of the human ambassador.

For more serious reading from the top ten assigned reading at our best colleges, I can recommend:

The Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
    MMinSC likes this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself – "hands behind the back" – toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Starship Troopers.

Read it. You’ll get a lot more out of it than just good sci-fi...
    Beat me to it.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I am a fan of history books regarding Rev War era and naval/ maritime history.
    I also like historical fiction.
    Patrick O’Brian series of books are literary gold. Jack Aubrey of The Royal Navy.
    James Nelson for War of Independence trilogy on our nation’s first navy.
    I know very boring
    Not boring, well at least to a history nerd like me. I really enjoyed the Master and Commander series. Putting James Nelson's trilogy on my list.
    Recon1342 and KILTED COWBOY like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post

I like Robert Heinlein too. There is a book that was unfinished that the family asked Spider Robinson to finish. It's called Variable Star. I think he did a pretty good job.
    Yes to anything by Robert A. Heinlein. Among the best in the field and most of his works are free on Kindle. Spider Robinson is good too but you have to watch for the puns and word play in some of his works.

For another good read with lots of accurate firearms related content try The Grey Man series by JL Curtis a different author than Mark Greaney's The Grey Man series mentioned by Well_Regulated
    TSKnight likes this.
    Monte

"I'll huff and I'll puff ...woah! Nice shotgun. Umm. Look at the time! Should have been home hours ago! Wife will be frantic. Nice meeting you. Bye, bye now!"

I am hooked right now on Modern Western's
    Craig Johnson, Walt Longmire series
    Ace Atkins, Quin Colson series
    CJ Box has a couple of good series going on.
    Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch series.
    JA Jance has Joanna Brady series.
    Michiel McGarrity has a western series that I like too.
    These all have western themes But use pickups and 4 wheelers instead of Horses and wagons!

If you like Cop stories that are a little different try
    Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn and Chee series. They were written starting in 1970 and continued till he passed in 2008. His daughter has picked up the series and added another character. They are indian detectives on the Navajo Reservation.
    John Sandford's Prey series and a follow up The Virgil Flowers series. Both are great!
    Wallace Stroby writes one series about a thief named Crissa Stone. there are only 4 in that series but I enjoyed all of them.

There are a few more that I like but those are the ones that come to mind right now! DR

Heavy guitar Bible by Richard Daniels

Put your crappy little amp on ten and live the dream
    Tstone likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

If you like fantasy as a genre, the Drenai saga novels by David Gemmell are fantastic.
    MMinSC likes this.
    “We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school.”
    – Thucydides

If you love Star Trek then I highly recommend the following.

The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard and

The Autobiography of James T Kirk

Spocks will be released next year and Janeways this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    If you like fantasy as a genre, the Drenai saga novels by David Gemmell are fantastic.
    Thanks, on the Wishlist now. I read his Troy series and liked him.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Thanks, on the Wishlist now. I read his Troy series and liked him.
    Wikipedia lists the chronological order of the novels, the order they were published in is different. They’re good on their own as it is, but it’s a pretty good universe he’s created...
    MMinSC likes this.
    “We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school.”
    – Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I haven't had the bandwidth to do any serious reading for a while. A while back, I read two historical fiction novels by Stephen Coonts (Vietnam era Navy pilot), Flight of the Intruder...
    FWIW, I have two connections with that book. First, the book doesn't claim to have been based on historical events, but the strong rumor in the Navy for years was that such an incident had actually happened. And the person strongly rumored to have been bombardier in the real incident went on to become my first squadron CO. He would neither confirm or deny it. He was a real character, much more so than the one Willem Dafoe created in the movie.

In my subsequent shore tour, I was one of the editors on the original manuscript of the book Flight of the Intruder. I was a Navy LT, just out of an A-6 squadron, and was the editor of Approach Magazine for the US Naval Safety Center in Norfolk. Naval Institute Press thought my recent experience in the aircraft and my experience at copy editing might help with some of the details, since Coonts hadn't flown in a while when he wrote it. I did catch a lot of inconsistencies that got corrected in the final book. I thought it was good, but I didn't think it would become the success it did.
    TSKnight, MMinSC and montejames like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    "One Second After" by William Forstchen
    or anything by, "Vince Flynn".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    The Mitch Rapp series of books by Vince Flynn are very good books. They read really fast so get more than 1 at a time. Make sure you start at the beginning of the series..."American Assassin".

I have read them all save for the last one. Unfortunately, Vince Flynn died of cancer a couple years back and there is a guy writing for him now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I have read all of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series books... the ones he wrote when he was alive. American Assassin was written well after he started the series along with a follow up book called "Kill Shot". Flynn's fans were clamoring for a book that described the beginning and Flynn started out the series after Rapp was operating.

Buy all of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books, written by him, and start from the beginning. Excellent series.

"Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto" by Mark Levin. A must read.
    "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, if you can find it and pay the price. I bought this book at a gun show when it first hit the market. Fantastic read. Prices run as high as over $300 but you can find it for a little over $100. I paid $30 for my two copies.

So many books, so little time.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links