Recommend Some Good Books

This is a discussion on Recommend Some Good Books within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now that we're forced to spend more time indoors away from people, it's a good opportunity to crack a book and hunker down and read ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Recommend Some Good Books

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar

Now that we're forced to spend more time indoors away from people, it's a good opportunity to crack a book and hunker down and read a bit. I've done most of my reading over the past years when I'm traveling, having a lot to occupy my time with at home. But now, I'm home a lot. So, I'm sitting down and reading a bit.

I've spent a lot of reading time on speculative fiction (sci-fi, for the curious) but recently have been adding action thrillers to my list. I read almost all of the Jack Reacher novels, and just finished two of Jack Carr's "James Reece" novels. I like Carr a lot! He writes like he knows what he's talking about, and as a former SEAL, he does! He actually recommends Brad Thor and Mark Greaney. I haven't read either (Greaney is a new name to me, but his The Gray Man is supposed to be awesome).

My first resort is my library. It's a well-stocked organization with online/electronic lending, so I can simply download to my iPad for 21 days. Unless I have to wait for a hold.

So... recommendations?
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

1.Matthew Reilly great action indina johnes style books ... Crazy action ..
    2.harriet turtledove books are a great ..Alt history The Great War series is very good what would happen if the south never surrender and the war kept on to 1916 so tanks etc being use in the civil war ..
    3. White flag of the Dead is good if you into zombie books ..The first two are great the ones after eh skip ..But one of the few zombie books where they have been so keen on the M1 carbine ..And a very interesting scene involving a 303 rifle ..
    4. Nicholas Sansbury Smith does a good book call Hell Divers ..Basicly combat airships are all that are left on earth after we nuke ourselves and paratroopers dive from them to raid what is left of the earths supplies
    5.Jl Bourne is very very good ex miltary very good zombie books
    DZUS and Redbert31 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    "One Second After" by William Forstchen
    or anything by, "Vince Flynn".
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The Mitch Rapp series of books by Vince Flynn are very good books. They read really fast so get more than 1 at a time. Make sure you start at the beginning of the series..."American Assassin".

I have read them all save for the last one. Unfortunately, Vince Flynn died of cancer a couple years back and there is a guy writing for him now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series of novels. Start with number on, "The Kill Artist" and read them in order. I think I'm 2 shy of having read them all.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41082-gabriel-allon
    Bill

I read a lot. Actually less now since I am working more and the toddler is home all day while my wife video teaches AP biology. I enjoy history so for fiction, historical fiction is my favorite, especially ancient Greece and Rome. On of the best in the field is Christian Cameron. He served as a naval officer, is a historian and a classical/renaissance reenactor. He jousts, fights in armor, and is an expert in 14th century sword fighting. He really makes history come alive in thrilling stories. Most of the series he does are about lesser known people but ones that impacted history greatly.

A great series to start with is The Long War Series. This covers the whole of the Persian wars but so much stuff that many likely did not know. Ionian Greece being an area I was less familiar with(even though I lived there) and its impact on the Persian Wars.
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/48559-long-war

Great for escaping the present day for a little while.
    wmhawth and Rock and Glock like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    anything by, "Vince Flynn".
    I read the Mitch Rapp books when Flynn was still writing them, but I recently picked up The Survivor, and put it down again after only a couple of chapters. I don't know, I think Rapp's "maturation" hasn't set well with me. He's now an acknowledged assassin, he has the goods on Irene Kennedy, and just seems like he's not a character I can get ahold of.
    DZUS and Jeanlouise like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

VIP Member
    Pandora's Star (Book I)
    Judas Unchained (Book II)

By Peter Hamilton. A very interesting existential threat to humanity.

Fear the Sky
    Fear the Survivors
    Fear the Future

By Stephen Moss. We know they are coming and we prepare, some at the expense of their humanity. Good series.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series of novels. Start with number on, "The Kill Artist" and read them in order. I think I'm 2 shy of having read them all.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41082-gabriel-allon
    I agree, I loved that series, and I read them all except the latest, "The New Girl." I read reviews that book got really left wing political, railing on Trump and Brexit and also it involved a sequence about a child suicide bomber that was pretty gross. Some fans actually said it didn't seem like Silva actually wrote it.
    DZUS likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I agree, I loved that series, and I read them all except the latest, "The New Girl." I read reviews that book got really left wing political, railing on Trump and Brexit and also it involved a sequence about a child suicide bomber that was pretty gross. Some fans actually said it didn't seem like Silva actually wrote it.
    I believe he's married to Jamie Gangel. Maybe she wrote that one.
    Bill

I like John Sandford's two series, the Lucas Davenport "Prey" series and the also the Virgil Flowers series. They are both police procedurals. Also along those lines I really like the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. The main character and the plots are somewhat different than the cable TV series, so you won't necessarily know what's going to happen.

If you can get a copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes it is well worth the read. I have been through it two or three times in my life. People think they know Holmes from TV and movies but the originals are magnificent.

The best series of books I ever binge-read is the Patrick O'Brien, Aubrey/Maturin series about the British Navy in the Napoleonic Wars. The first one, "Master and Commander" got made into a movie starring Russel Crowe. There are 20 books in the series and recommend them all except maybe 19 and 20, where O'Brien was getting near the end of his life and losing his power as a writer. I re-read the whole series every five years or so.
    Recon1342, DZUS and AnthonyC like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I believe he's married to Jamie Gangel. Maybe she wrote that one.
    Yeah, she is a reporter with CNN. That fits.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    For light easy reading I've come to enjoy Jamie McFarlane. I started with his sifi Privateer series. You can check him out at
    http://fickledragon.com

I like Robert Heinlein too. There is a book that was unfinished that the family asked Spider Robinson to finish. It's called Variable Star. I think he did a pretty good job.

Just a couple without looking at my library.
    MMinSC and DZUS like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Jonathan Maberry especially his Joe Ledger series.
    Lee Child the Jack Reacher series.
    Scott Sigler Infected Series
    Anything by
    Jack Ketchum
    Joe R Lansdale
    Poppy Z Brite
    Clive Barker
    David Schow
    David Morell

Senior Moderator
    Hamilton (Chernow)
    The Civil War (Shelby Foote)
    1776 (McCullough)
    John Adams (McCullough)
    Truman (McCullough) (a real slog)
    The LOTR Trilogy
    Heinlen - Any
    Kurt Vonnegut - Any
    The History of the World in Six Drinks
    Guns, Germs, and Steel
    The History of Taxation
    The Internal Revenue Code
    Charles Dickens - Any
    Dean Koontz - Any
    Larry McMurty - Any (Lonesome Dove)
    DZUS, wmhawth, Havok and 1 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links